The Batwing (SPOILERS)

Started by Silver Nemesis, Thu, 22 Jun 2023, 20:16

Previous topic - Next topic
What did everyone think of the updated Batwing? It retains the look of the 1989 model, but with some notable upgrades. It's capable of intercontinental flight and has an advanced autopilot system that allows Batman to leave it in the air unmanned. The autopilot system could come in handy if Bruce ever needed to airlift a nuclear bomb out to sea and fake his own death.

The thing I find most intriguing about the new Batwing is that it's capable of carrying passengers. The cockpit of the original Batwing was only big enough for one person, but this new version is designed to carry at least two extra people. Why? At first I thought maybe these spaces were reserved in case Batman needed to airlift someone to safety. But the passenger seats are rigged to the same airdrop mechanism as the pilot's chair, which suggests the two passengers would be deployed on missions along with Batman. Were these seats built for Robin? Catwoman? Nightwing? Or just members of the military that Batman might collaborate with?

Any theories?

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Thu, 22 Jun  2023, 20:16What did everyone think of the updated Batwing? It retains the look of the 1989 model, but with some notable upgrades. It's capable of intercontinental flight and has an advanced autopilot system that allows Batman to leave it in the air unmanned. The autopilot system could come in handy if Bruce ever needed to airlift a nuclear bomb out to sea and fake his own death.

The thing I find most intriguing about the new Batwing is that it's capable of carrying passengers. The cockpit of the original Batwing was only big enough for one person, but this new version is designed to carry at least two extra people. Why? At first I thought maybe these spaces were reserved in case Batman needed to airlift someone to safety. But the passenger seats are rigged to the same airdrop mechanism as the pilot's chair, which suggests the two passengers would be deployed on missions along with Batman. Were these seats built for Robin? Catwoman? Nightwing? Or just members of the military that Batman might collaborate with?

Any theories?

Thats what I've been wondering. All points lead to Batman working alone and Flash being the first person he's worked with. Looking at the Supergirl breakout with how he dropped flash and walked off to do his own thing.

But the Batwing suggest somthing different, the way the pilot seat turns arond to talk to the those in the back seat too is interesting

Personally, I never liked the idea of Keaton's Batman ever having a Robin.

So, my way of rationalizing that upgrade is that Batman was basically keeping his options open. Like you say, you never know when you might need to work with the police or the military or something. After BR, Batman might've learned the value in maintaining a cozier relationship with the cops.

The other upgrades are a lot easier to contextualize. I think the B89 Batwing was a first effort. A prototype, basically. And I think the Joker parade would've shown Batman the value of hovering capabilities. Other cases probably revealed the need for a gyroscopic cockpit, an airdrop, etc.

So, based upon nothing, I would surmise that the Batwing from TF is probably a fourth or fifth generation. At this point, it's so far beyond the B89 Batwing that there's no point in comparing them to each other anymore.

In fact, I'll do one better and suggest that the Batwing's airdrop is probably why Batman designed a next generation glider cape.

Fri, 23 Jun 2023, 06:57 #3 Last Edit: Fri, 23 Jun 2023, 07:14 by The Dark Knight
It's a good design, and it's technically better than what we see in B89 despite nostalgia favoring the latter. The extra seating is obviously a plot requirement for this film - but overlooking that, I don't see it being exclusively for sidekicks. I see it being there just in case. Rescuing a target in the field or whatever a mission requires. It's only one more seat than his Batmobile - two can fit in there.