Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice

Started by Edd Grayson, Wed, 21 May 2014, 18:08

Previous topic - Next topic
I'll have to hear it in context as well as what the rest of the track sounds like. For now, it feels less like a Batman theme to me than Elfman, Walker, and Zimmer's.

These Superbowl spots are fun. Nice to see a Gotham City with gargoyles again, along with an Ace Chemicals sign.

Also interesting to see two billionaires putting on a public persona here:

That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

Affleck definitely has that imposing business charm spot on. Eisenberg wasn't too shabby here either.

I liked how the ads didn't have those saturated colors every time we saw Smallville and Metropolis in MOS. Hopefully the rest of the film will look like that.

It's a shame that the Daily Planet looks so generic for a landmark. I wish they added that iconic globe on top of the building again. Who cares if it was already done in Superman Returns?
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

I agree, especially about Batfleck and the building, TLF, and I do hope we'll get the Daily Bugle again in Spider-Man but that's another universe. :)

Gotham looks fine.

The Ace Chemicals logo is a nice touch. It's basically the exact same logo from the Arkham games. The gargoyle is also promising. I don't think Gotham will be radically different to Metropolis, given their close proximity to one another in this film universe. But nonetheless, I think expresionism will convey they're tonally different places.

I also like the batsignal being a more pure beam of light, ala the Burton/Schumacher films.

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Tue,  9 Feb  2016, 09:17
It's a shame that the Daily Planet looks so generic for a landmark. I wish they added that iconic globe on top of the building again. Who cares if it was already done in Superman Returns?
Agreed. The Daily Planet in this universe looks completely generic, inside and out. Even in past adaptations that didn't have the globe on top, I felt there was at least something on the inside and/or outside that separated it from just another boring old office building. It's not a huge issue, but kind of a shame considering how comic accurate the costumes are looking. We'll see if they add anything new to The Planet in the movie, but I doubt it.

The LexCorp tower in the promo doesn't form in the big L, but it at least looks better.
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

Somebody had to reach pretty far back in the comics for the geographical placement of Metropolis across the bay from Gotham City. That's a pretty standard issue Bronze Age concept. Maybe Silver Age too but Bronze Age for sure.

If the writer's goal is to express a dichotomy between Superman and Batman through their characterization and the nature of their respective home cities, placing them close together is a pretty clever idea. It also offers narrative convenience of transporting characters between the two locations with relative ease.

Ace Chemicals, gargoyles again in Gotham and other things. Yes, I think it would be safe to say I rather appreciate where BvS looks to be going.

The general gist I'm getting overall (not just from the latest trailer) is that they are trying to embrace more of Batman's history with his portrayal/Gotham city, basically doing what we here were hoping and adding more of the fun in a manner which is not as grounded and boring as Nolan but not as goofy as Schumacher. Whereas with Superman/Metropolis, they are taking the Nolanesque approach and avoiding things which had already been done before on screen just for the sake of being different (ie flirty Lois Lane, globe on the daily planet, perhaps this is also why we're getting a younger and non-balding Lex Luthor?).

Bold prediction; even though the reverse has been true in almost every previous portrayal, I bet we get more laughs out of Batman/Gotham than we do out of Superman/Metropolis.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Tue,  9 Feb  2016, 22:43
Somebody had to reach pretty far back in the comics for the geographical placement of Metropolis across the bay from Gotham City. That's a pretty standard issue Bronze Age concept. Maybe Silver Age too but Bronze Age for sure.

If the writer's goal is to express a dichotomy between Superman and Batman through their characterization and the nature of their respective home cities, placing them close together is a pretty clever idea. It also offers narrative convenience of transporting characters between the two locations with relative ease.

Ace Chemicals, gargoyles again in Gotham and other things. Yes, I think it would be safe to say I rather appreciate where BvS looks to be going.
Agreed with all of the above. I think it makes sense for Gotham and Metropolis to be nearby, like say, New York City and New Jersey. As a kid, I quite liked the idea Metropolis was situated on the West Coast. Like a New York style city bathed in sunshine, instead of Los Angeles. But the two cities being close together is easier, I suppose. And also, could convey the idea that Metropolis is what Gotham wants to be. What it's striving to be - which is reflected in their heroes. Batman is low level grit, trying to take a city back on a grass roots level.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Wed, 10 Feb  2016, 01:48
Quote from: thecolorsblend on Tue,  9 Feb  2016, 22:43

Agreed with all of the above. I think it makes sense for Gotham and Metropolis to be nearby, like say, New York City and New Jersey. As a kid, I quite liked the idea Metropolis was situated on the West Coast. Like a New York style city bathed in sunshine, instead of Los Angeles. But the two cities being close together is easier, I suppose. And also, could convey the idea that Metropolis is what Gotham wants to be. What it's striving to be - which is reflected in their heroes. Batman is low level grit, trying to take a city back on a grass roots level.

The tough part about DC having their heroes cities (Star city, coast city, central city, metropolis, gotham) close together is that every time they want to have a solo mission, the question will always be "where is the JLA?" I think the TV shows are handling it appropriately; they arent divulging specifics on the geography but are at least establishing Starling city and central city as being separated by a train ride. There's obviously a happy medium.

I think in an ongoing film universe it's almost essential to pinpoint where everything is.