Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice

Started by Edd Grayson, Wed, 21 May 2014, 18:08

Previous topic - Next topic
To me, it just makes no sense that he's still regarded as an urban legend, if he's this old into his career. His first year on the job I can understand, but not if he's in communication with Gordon, him using a Batmobile, Batwing, Bat-signal, and also fighting his rogues gallery.

It doesn't add up to me.

Quote from: Travesty on Wed,  6 Aug  2014, 16:21
To me, it just makes no sense that he's still regarded as an urban legend, if he's this old into his career. His first year on the job I can understand, but not if he's in communication with Gordon, him using a Batmobile, Batwing, Bat-signal, and also fighting his rogues gallery.

It doesn't add up to me.
Good point.  If Batman killed his enemies it might make sense to a degree, but since we know Batman not to be a killer surely his various enemies would have corroborated his existence.  Even if the police didn't believe one or two villains they'd surely have to believe a hundred or so (assuming Batman has taken down several bad guys during his 'x' number of years as a vigilante).

The films would have to go to great lengths to demonstrate how hard the police, and other authorities (including psychiatrists/prison guards etc), are working to cover up his existence assuming the films do decide to take the 'Batman as an urban myth' angle.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

It is stupid if they're going that route; Batman late in his career even having Robin dead and still being an urban legend? What about his rogue gallery, do they not exist in this world? Did they all keep quiet about batman? Or is nobody believing them?

I don't think that's the case though, the trailer has clearly shown the bat signal so he can't be a complete urban legend. Presumably gordon or someone from the GCPD knows who he is and if the signal is flashing so would most of gotham.

Quote from: riddler on Thu,  7 Aug  2014, 20:30
It is stupid if they're going that route; Batman late in his career even having Robin dead and still being an urban legend? What about his rogue gallery, do they not exist in this world? Did they all keep quiet about batman? Or is nobody believing them?

I don't think that's the case though, the trailer has clearly shown the bat signal so he can't be a complete urban legend. Presumably gordon or someone from the GCPD knows who he is and if the signal is flashing so would most of gotham.

If this rumour is true, then the only logical explanation for the Batsignal is that Batman had invented it to get Superman's attention.

Here are some pictures of Affleck as Bruce Wayne on the set a few days ago.

As you can see, he has some grey hair. Perhaps the rumours that his character is in his 50s are true?

I'm not so impressed with the idea of Batman coming back from retirement again, assuming if the rumour is true. And if he is this urban legend, then it does beg the question surrounding whether or not his archenemies existed. And let's not forget about his relationship with Gordon, assuming if he has one. If they are going to do the retirement theme again, it's better that urban legend idea is scrapped.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Affleck looks very good. Stylish and imposing.

Well one question is what is Nolan's involvement in this series? I read around here that he still gets final say on all DC adaptations.

I don't mind batman coming out of retirement but I'm hoping it wont be a rehash of the dark knight rises where he spends half the film not being Batman. I can't imagine they will since there's other characters to develop. Hopefully it's a batman winding down and hoping to retire, perhaps going out less and being more selective as far as the battles he fights (ie only fighting true supervillains and not the common crooks).

As far as I know, Affleck isn't greying so that must be makeup.

It looks like Batman will be in his mid-40s according to Michael Uslan.

QuoteMichael Uslan served as an executive producer on Tim Burton's Batman and then each of the subsequent movies right through to Christopher Nolan's The Dark Knight Trilogy. Hhe will return in that role for 2016's Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice, and spoke to app.com recently about the reaction to Ben Affleck being case as the Caped Crusader. "We've been through this I don't know how many times already. Every time a director makes a creative, out-of-the-box-thinking decision on casting, it tends to get this. I remember even the 'Iron Man' (2008) guys got it on Robert Downey Jr. initially. Of course, we got it intensely when another genius, Chris Nolan, chose Heath Ledger to play the Joker (in 2008's 'The Dark Knight'). And it was a huge outcry: 'How can a guy who just played a gay cowboy (in 2005's 'Brokeback Mountain') play the Joker? You're going to destroy the greatest villain ever, this is going to be a laugh.' "So, this has happened time and again, and it happened with Affleck. To go back to the original thought of Bruce Wayne in his mid-40s, I think he's going to be extraordinary."

This pretty much debunks those recent reports that Batman will be in his 50s, though many fans were already sceptical that the movie would portray Bruce Wayne at that age anyway (especially as Affleck doesn't look like a man of that age, grey templed be damned). Uslan makes a great point when it comes to the way the Argo star and director's casting was received, especially as those same people were likely just as doubtful about the other actors he mentions and more besides. What do you guys think? Be sure to share your thoughts on these comments below!

Read more at http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?
a=105768#FyF6ECeHsYxlmqGm.99

That should surely debunk the 30 year crimefighting career at least.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Just as I feared...

According to Jennifer Garner, Affleck may be basing his Bat-voice on Bale's infamous growl.

In the latest issue of Empire Magazine (via Comic Book Movie), Mrs. Affleck spills the details on what Ben Affleck's Batman voice will sound like in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice:

"We were not privy to the Batman voice at home, but I've been on set enough to hear bits of it. It's spot on. Growly and decisive and sexy, if I do say so myself! Exactly what you would hope it to be!"

I'll have to hear it before believing the "growly" voice is the same approach as Bale's. "Growly and decisive and sexy" could also be used to describe Kevin Conroy's voice, in my opinion.
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

Quote from: BatmAngelus on Tue, 28 Oct  2014, 16:47
I'll have to hear it before believing the "growly" voice is the same approach as Bale's. "Growly and decisive and sexy" could also be used to describe Kevin Conroy's voice, in my opinion.
;D

Well of course Garner is going to say Affleck's Batman voice is 'sexy'.  She's married to him.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.