Ghostbusters trailer *Brand New* (2016)

Started by Grissom, Thu, 3 Mar 2016, 14:14

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Tue,  5 Jul  2016, 10:00
I really want this to bomb hard. HARD. It's obnoxious. The whole undercurrent that anyone who critiques the film is sexist. Entertainment being hijacked by such issues just pisses me off to the extreme. But the filmmakers actually double down on this and throw it back in your face. Seriously? Get the eff outta here. If you want to be treated equal, don't complain when it's too equal. I won't watch the movie, but I'll watch the aftermath with glee.

The critical embargo ends in a few days. Let's crack open the popcorn and watch the reviews and box office figures pour in. It's gonna be a blast.

Okay this is going to sound awful and I guess it is awful but it's the only analogy I can think of to sum up what I'm thinking of. Know how the special ed kids get participation ribbons at athletic events and everyone acts like they won even though they finished 20 minutes after the actual winner and that was with taking a short cut? I'm afraid this movie will get it's participation ribbons from some critics for being the special ed kid and a girl to boot. Well I shouldn't say afraid cause I don't care except for the fact that I have a low bullsh*t tolerance and hate seeing it perpetuated.

Plus I'm gullible and if enough people say "Hey it was good!" I may waste $8.50 and then get banned for life from the theater for throwing handfuls of Milk Duds at the screen when it's as bad as it looks. Keep me on the straight and narrow, y'all. Don't let me stray.

The rumours about a female Slimer in a wig were true:

Quote from: Catwoman on Tue,  5 Jul  2016, 18:24
Okay this is going to sound awful and I guess it is awful but it's the only analogy I can think of to sum up what I'm thinking of. Know how the special ed kids get participation ribbons at athletic events and everyone acts like they won even though they finished 20 minutes after the actual winner and that was with taking a short cut? I'm afraid this movie will get it's participation ribbons from some critics for being the special ed kid and a girl to boot. Well I shouldn't say afraid cause I don't care except for the fact that I have a low bullsh*t tolerance and hate seeing it perpetuated.

I'm afraid you may be right. A few of the more leftwing media outlets like Vox and Salon – the types who score films according to how many minorities are represented rather than actual quality of filmmaking – might buy into Sony's victim narrative and support it for political reasons. Then again, they might just as easily latch onto the stereotypical depiction of the lead black character and use that as a basis for criticism. Either way, we'll soon find out.

Quote from: Catwoman on Tue,  5 Jul  2016, 18:24Plus I'm gullible and if enough people say "Hey it was good!" I may waste $8.50 and then get banned for life from the theater for throwing handfuls of Milk Duds at the screen when it's as bad as it looks. Keep me on the straight and narrow, y'all. Don't let me stray.

A part of me wants to say, "Save your money." But another part of me thinks it would be hilarious to let you go ahead and ruin the screening for the other viewers. But then I realised there probably wouldn't be any other viewers anyway. So I think you're best off saving your cash. It's not worth the trauma of sitting through this wreck.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Tue,  5 Jul  2016, 19:14
The rumours about a female Slimer in a wig were true:

Hmmm ....

Well, I would love to see an interview where Paul Feig is asked goofy questions about this, while the interviewer is slyly showing off custom made cue cards only the audience/crew can see.

"Now tell me, Feig, I always wanted to know, what is the difference between a male Slimer and female Slimer really?"

"Well, she has wig and a bow in her head."

"That's it? Get right out of town!"

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Tue,  5 Jul  2016, 17:22
The critical embargo ends in a few days. Let's crack open the popcorn and watch the reviews and box office figures pour in. It's gonna be a blast.

It's clearly a transvestite Slimer! lol Seriously, that may be the gag here.

But that's not my issue. There is a wider problem in my book. There are smart ass, snot nose, articles such as this which is why I'd very much like Kim Jong Un to nuke the World quite frankly lol http://www.wired.com/2016/07/open-letter-from-ghostbusters-ii/

No here's my issue. Here they are attempting to reintroduce a legendary franchise. Question? Should you then piss on the past of the less successful installments during the grand celebrations of the big relaunch? I don't think so. When Doctor Who came back I cannot recall many people saying "Y'know that Colin Baker era? Well that was sort of bollocks wasn't it?". That may have been true but I genuinely don't recall anyone saying it publicly. Everybody pretty much wonderfully got all nostalgic in the wider media. 

Quote from: Cobblepot4Mayor on Wed,  6 Jul  2016, 11:06
There are smart ass, snot nose, articles such as this which is why I'd very much like Kim Jong Un to nuke the World quite frankly lol
Don't ever say that.

The cop out for the apologists of the film will likely be that the film was ambitious; it dared to be different. Different isn't always better though, there's a reason the status quo was the status quo.

I must be the only person who liked Ghostbusters 2 lol.

I like Ghostbusters 2 as well. I've never understood why it's so unpopular. I thought it had a lot of really intelligent and thought-provoking things to say about human nature. And the effects human nature can have on the human race collectively.

I always liked the implication about the incident that happened in Berlin in the late 1930's. We know there was a lot of anger and hate in Berlin at that time.