Burton Batmobile

Started by The Dark Knight, Sun, 21 Dec 2008, 04:46

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Wed, 11 Feb  2009, 01:17
Sorry. Dent is dead. Two Face is dead. It's in the script, novelisation, and the film makers have confirmed it. If he returns, it will be in flashback form.

Are you sure? What about the video over in the topic about Two-Face being alive? If he really did die, then it was pointless to have had him change from HD to TF in TDK. It'd be like what happened to Venom in Spiderman 3 (if you've seen it).

Quote from: The Batman Returns on Wed, 11 Feb  2009, 01:21
Are you sure? What about the video over in the topic about Two-Face being alive? If he really did die, then it was pointless to have had him change from HD to TF in TDK. It'd be like what happened to Venom in Spiderman 3 (if you've seen it).
No it wasn't pointless. And it is a lot better than Venom in Spider-Man 3. I've posted things on this matter in the past I'm sure. I am not going to repeat myself, Dent/Two Face is dead.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Wed, 11 Feb  2009, 01:29
No it wasn't pointless. And it is a lot better than Venom in Spider-Man 3. I've posted things on this matter in the past I'm sure. I am not going to repeat myself, Dent/Two Face is dead.

This sounds like it's annoying you, but I didn't know about the times you've mentioned that.

Anyway, what do you mean by "it wasn't pointless"?

I have no idea why we are talking about this point in a thread titled "Burton Batmobile".....but, I'll re-hash a part of my review I did for TDK.

QuoteTwo Face?s death is the climatic moment of the entire film and the completion of the film?s narrative; not a ploy by Nolan to wash his hands of a sequel. The move is bold, and makes great sense in how the story progresses.

Dent?s death changes everything for Gotham and Batman. Batman selflessly decides to take the blame for Two Face?s deeds in order to preserve Dent?s original legacy as Gotham?s redeemer. The title of the film hinges on Harvey?s death and the subsequent cover up of the truth about it, with Dent being the White Knight in the eyes on the public.

Two-Face isn?t anywhere near as interesting after his origin arc as he is before it. After his origin, Two-Face plateaus, since the origin effectively addresses pretty much everything about the character. I was apathetic about him driving a third film for that reason. What can you do with Two Face in a third, besides retreading elements that were already in the original arc to begin with? Crimes motivated by the number two? Ending it right after the origin story creates a very solid curve for the character.

This new spin also creates a false legacy for the character, becoming a mythical proportion in the eyes of Gothamites, when he in fact ended as a rotten criminal. Gotham City is damaged goods, so it makes sense for its idol to be as well. Adding more depth to this, Dent himself ominously says earlier in the film, "You either die a hero, or live long enough to become a villain."

If you think of Harvey Dent as one character, not as two - Harvey Dent and Two Face, well, it's a totally different ball game. It's not like he just appears for the last 20 mins. We see Harvey throughout the entire film, and when he gets scarred, he is essentially the same person, just disfigured. Try not thinking of him as a villain, he's just a man gone wrong.

Even if not dead, which he is, it is doubtful we will see Two Face again, and he may as well be dead. In the novelisation it says he broke his neck in the fall. Dent would be locked away in Arkham Asylum, hidden from the public to hide the truth of his madness and crimes as to keep his reputation as Gotham?s saviour intact. He wouldn?t be escaping from jail or be seen in public any time soon, if ever. He?d be wheelchair bound and wouldn?t posses much, or any threat anyway.

I don?t like comic book movies killing off major villains, but this is the exception. This is done extremely well and with fine calculation. It?s not a simple, pointless throwaway moment. Two Face, who already was a tragic character, has become even more so. To say this, I think is a testament to how well Nolan utilizes him.

Wed, 11 Feb 2009, 01:50 #34 Last Edit: Wed, 11 Feb 2009, 01:55 by The Batman Returns
You have a point there, TDK. I've also seen a possible con for Two-Face if he were brought back. He'd probably return to avenge the death of Rachel, again! That would be a pointless reason for him to come back, from my view.

Well, Two-Face return would be really awesome, but I doubt that he'll be back. Nolan, Eckhart and the movie's script have already stated that he is really dead lying on the floor after the fall.
Batman Arkham Asylum: The Batman game the fans were waiting for.

Could we get back to the Keaton Mobile if you guys don't mind? It's seems were getting too off topic.