Batman Returns style guide

Started by BatmanReturns88, Sat, 21 Nov 2015, 13:53

Previous topic - Next topic
So apparently there's also a Batman Returns Style Guide II in a white folder. One just sold on ebay for 300 bucks, it'll probably end up waterlogged in somebody's basement in ten years. Oh well. It's got some photos of the Penguin that WB really really doesn't want you to see.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Batman-Returns-Style-Guide-1992-Michael-Keaton-Tim-Burton-/252171667188?nma=true&si=LcJjElmL%252FG3CxuxnpHAb9c7CSUc%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

To be honest I think Bob Ringwood (who is a genius soaked with talent and my personal respect) can, on occasions, come across as something of a "fancy pants" too. I mean just listen to how he talks for starters. The man is very much "the gentleman" of prestigious movie costume design, just how certain dreadfully serious actors are sometimes comically referred to as "very much the ACtor".

I'll refer you also to his comments about David Fincher on Alien3 who he does admit to not liking at all on the Blu Ray. I think he somewhat looked down on Fincher for being the young "little bastard" in control of the film. And to be fair it is known Fincher himself could be something of a disrespectful twat to people like Fox executives. I don't think Ringwood liked his approach at all for those reasons, maybe finding it juvenile and unprofessional. Unfortunately it can be considered, well, a little snooty too. A refusal to adapt to certain changing styles of directors or looking down on certain kinds of people of "less professional status".

So his comment there about Schumacher I find a little shocking and harsh. Schumacher, flamboyant though he is, really never comes across as being particularly unpleasant. I remember Ringwood talking once with great enthusiasm about Jim Carrey and how they collaborated on the costume design, especially the Riddler's Las Vegas jacket. It never struck me he was ever dissatisfied with his Batman Forever experience or work. Why on earth then did he return one last time for Batman and Robin???

Quote from: Cobblepot4Mayor on Fri, 11 Dec  2015, 18:53
To be honest I think Bob Ringwood (who is a genius soaked with talent and my personal respect) can, on occasions, come across as something of a "fancy pants" too. I mean just listen to how he talks for starters. The man is very much "the gentleman" of prestigious movie costume design, just how certain dreadfully serious actors are sometimes comically referred to as "very much the ACtor".

I'll refer you also to his comments about David Fincher on Alien3 who he does admit to not liking at all on the Blu Ray. I think he somewhat looked down on Fincher for being the young "little bastard" in control of the film. And to be fair it is known Fincher himself could be something of a disrespectful twat to people like Fox executives. I don't think Ringwood liked his approach at all for those reasons, maybe finding it juvenile and unprofessional. Unfortunately it can be considered, well, a little snooty too. A refusal to adapt to certain changing styles of directors or looking down on certain kinds of people of "less professional status".

So his comment there about Schumacher I find a little shocking and harsh. Schumacher, flamboyant though he is, really never comes across as being particularly unpleasant. I remember Ringwood talking once with great enthusiasm about Jim Carrey and how they collaborated on the costume design, especially the Riddler's Las Vegas jacket. It never struck me he was ever dissatisfied with his Batman Forever experience or work. Why on earth then did he return one last time for Batman and Robin???

I don't know much about Ringold at all, and while I'm not a bigfan of Schumacher's Batman, although I can see the good things they did, and I didn't like Alien-cubed at all, I try not to disrespect the directors personally for the results of their work in collaboration with many people.

Quote from: Furstmobile on Fri, 11 Dec  2015, 14:42
So apparently there's also a Batman Returns Style Guide II in a white folder. One just sold on ebay for 300 bucks, it'll probably end up waterlogged in somebody's basement in ten years. Oh well. It's got some photos of the Penguin that WB really really doesn't want you to see.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Batman-Returns-Style-Guide-1992-Michael-Keaton-Tim-Burton-/252171667188?nma=true&si=LcJjElmL%252FG3CxuxnpHAb9c7CSUc%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I bought that one !

I don't think Joel S. was vile though. But his efforts on Batman were meddled with, and misguided especially for B&R, that is still I don't consider a terrible film.

I wish my siggy inspired the same sudden off topic conversation as Furstmobile's. lol.

Back on topic total congrats BR88! I guess posting scans of some of the cooler stuff (*coughanyCatwomandesignscough*) would be asking a bit much though if you paid that much for it. I'd want to keep it secret too I guess

Quote from: Catwoman on Sat, 19 Dec  2015, 06:13
I wish my siggy inspired the same sudden off topic conversation as Furstmobile's. lol.

Back on topic total congrats BR88! I guess posting scans of some of the cooler stuff (*coughanyCatwomandesignscough*) would be asking a bit much though if you paid that much for it. I'd want to keep it secret too I guess

Thanks  :) !

I'm planning on digitally scanning the entire guide so that I will have a high quality copy of it just in case (the prudent in me  ;D).

I'd been looking for the Batman Returns style guide for the longest time because 1) Batman Returns is my favorite Batman film ever and 2) Jose Luis Garcia Lopez work for it is GENIUS.

I will send you the Catwoman artwork once I'm done scanning ;)

By the way, you a girl ?

Quote from: BatmanReturns88 on Sat, 19 Dec  2015, 17:18

I'm planning on digitally scanning the entire guide so that I will have a high quality copy of it just in case (the prudent in me  ;D).

I'd been looking for the Batman Returns style guide for the longest time because 1) Batman Returns is my favorite Batman film ever and 2) Jose Luis Garcia Lopez work for it is GENIUS.

I will send you the Catwoman designs once I'm done scanning ;)

By the way, you a girl ?

Very good idea to scan it just in case!

I'm glad you found it, then. Stuff like this is so cool and it's really neat when collectors find it.

I really appreciate that but you totally do not have to do that. In fact I'd kind of rather you didn't, knowing how much you paid, unless I pay for them. It would be totally unfair to see them for free after you paid $300 for it plus however much the shipping was. But thanks anyway!

And I was at last check. *checks again* Yep girl. :)

Quote from: Catwoman on Sat, 19 Dec  2015, 17:21
Quote from: BatmanReturns88 on Sat, 19 Dec  2015, 17:18

I will send you the Catwoman designs once I'm done scanning ;)

By the way, you a girl ?

Very good idea to scan it just in case!

I'm glad you found it, then. Stuff like this is so cool and it's really neat when collectors find it.

I really appreciate that but you totally do not have to do that. In fact I'd kind of rather you didn't, knowing how much you paid, unless I pay for them. It would be totally unfair to see them for free after you paid $300 for it plus however much the shipping was. But thanks anyway!

And I was at last check. *checks again* Yep girl. :)

Hey, if us Burton's Batman fans don't help each other, all hope will be lost in this world ;)

Plus, the guy who sold it to me was not even a fan. What good would it be if I kept it all for myself instead of sharing it with people like you and everyone else on here who would REALLY appreciate it :) ?