What if Catwoman listened to Batman and didn't kill Shreck?

Started by The Laughing Fish, Fri, 12 Sep 2014, 03:01

Previous topic - Next topic
The ending of Batman Returns is a rather strange moment, and one of the most puzzling I've ever seen on film. When Batman confronts Catwoman and pleads her not to kill Max Shreck, he starts to behave rather out of character because of his growing love for her and most likely sees her as his one real chance at happiness. He dismisses Catwoman's declaration that the law doesn't apply to either of them (despite the fact that she's rather correct - Batman is shown to be above the law throughout Burton's films) and he unmasks himself and begs her to come back home with hm. Of course, Catwoman can't forgive herself for the things she has done and rejects Batman, and then she eventually kills Shreck. By the way, I don't know about everybody else, but to me, Batman unmasking himself seemed like he was willing to throw his identity away to be together with Catwoman.

What do you think would have happened if Catwoman had listened to Batman? Would they have retired their alter egos and live together as Bruce Wayne and Selina Kyle? Would they really risk turning Shreck over to the police despite knowing their true identities?
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

i don't think she would have ever listened to him at that point. she knew there was no hope for a happy ending. nothing he could have said or done would have changed that. i mean hell he took off his mask in front of max, that was a pretty bold move and even it wasn't enough. she was so deep in that abyss that not even bruce could pull her back. thats what makes her line earlier so sad, where she says he makes her feel the way she hopes she really is. in the end, she knows she isn't. and the only way to possibly regain even the smallest shred of that is to kill max and avenge what he took from her.

Batman Returns is a fairytale without a happy ending.

Quote from: Edd Grayson on Sat, 13 Sep  2014, 18:32
Batman Returns is a fairytale without a happy ending.

You can tell Burton was going for the twisted fairy tale aspect with the film.

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Fri, 12 Sep  2014, 03:01
What do you think would have happened if Catwoman had listened to Batman? Would they have retired their alter egos and live together as Bruce Wayne and Selina Kyle? Would they really risk turning Shreck over to the police despite knowing their true identities?
They probably would have lived happily ever after. Sat in front of the fireplace every night. Alfred probably would've had babysitting duties as the years passed. They could have become better people and worked through their mental issues together. But instead, Selina kills Max and runs away. The two both hold onto their pain and endure it alone, possibly forever. It's a cruel juxtaposition but the reality.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Mon, 15 Sep  2014, 13:03
Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Fri, 12 Sep  2014, 03:01
They probably would have lived happily ever after. Sat in front of the fireplace every night. Alfred probably would've had babysitting duties as the years passed. They could have become better people and worked through their mental issues together. But instead, Selina kills Max and runs away. The two both hold onto their pain and endure it alone, possibly forever. It's a cruel juxtaposition but the reality.
But honestly, how could Selina live with herself after the terrible things she had been part of?

I know I wouldn't be able to if I was her.

Selina/Catwoman should have gone to jail, and I dearly hope, seeing as she was alive at the end of the film, that she turned herself in and thus, exonerated Batman of any wrongdoing.  If she didn't then Batman should have been arrested and sent to prison/given the death penalty.  >:(
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

She did have vengeance, so I think that turning herself in is possible. But didn't she say that the law didn't apply to people like her, Batman and Schreck?  :-\

Quote from: Edd Grayson on Mon, 15 Sep  2014, 15:44
She did have vengeance, so I think that turning herself in is possible. But didn't she say that the law didn't apply to people like her, Batman and Schreck?  :-\
I hope the law came on top of her and/or Batman.

Remember, the cops were trying to shoot Batman at one stage, until that fat buffoon Commissioner Gordon let him get away.  >:(  They should have been allowed to shoot at him and then taken the injured Batman in for questioning, instead the buffoonish Gordon let Batman get away for good and did nothing to follow-up on the fact he had driven away from the police leaving several crashed police cars in his wake.  >:(

I don't care that he save a bunch of brats.  What about the other harm he was seen to have caused!  >:(
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Batman told her to take Schreck to the police and she refused because she wanted to kill him. Would she have turned herself in after all this?

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Mon, 15 Sep  2014, 16:14
Quote from: Edd Grayson on Mon, 15 Sep  2014, 15:44
I hope the law came on top of her and/or Batman.

Remember, the cops were trying to shoot Batman at one stage, until that fat buffoon Commissioner Gordon let him get away.  >:(  They should have been allowed to shoot at him and then taken the injured Batman in for questioning, instead the buffoonish Gordon let Batman get away for good and did nothing to follow-up on the fact he had driven away from the police leaving several crashed police cars in his wake.  >:(

I don't care that he save a bunch of brats.  What about the other harm he was seen to have caused!  >:(

you really are an idiot.