Gotham's greed

Started by The Laughing Fish, Sun, 27 Nov 2016, 03:32

Previous topic - Next topic
The Joker's parade scene was one of the most memorable moments in B89, but what has been sticking out in my mind was the frenzied public gathering and collecting money thrown in the air.

I remember listening to a podcast discussing B89 years ago, and one of the hosts recalled the time when his dad complained and accused Hollywood for using the scene to make fun of the masses for being money-grabbing, despite the fact that Hollywood is the epitome of greed. I never thought about thought about that before, but it's fascinating and has some logic behind it. I've seen some other people elsewhere on the internet suggest that B89 is supposed to be a critique/reflection on 80s materialism, specifically the parade scene and the hype and merchandise surrounding the film's release.

But from the plot's point of view, I see the purpose of this scene was the Joker taking advantage of people's greed to lull them into a false sense of security in attempt to massacre them. If there is anything troubling about this scene, it's that there are a lot of blind idiots in Gotham City who are easily manipulated by mad men, as you can see when people ate up the PR campaign surrounding Penguin's election campaign and smearing of Batman in BR. It says a lot about Batman's dedication to save the city occupied by fools.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

And Gothamites easily fell under the Riddler's spell and Poison Ivy's spell in the Schumacher Batman movies.

A part of the legend of the village of Gotham in England is that it is inhabited by mad men and fools. I wonder if this is supposed to be part of Batman's Gotham too. I mean, it has a lot of insane criminals. And, at least in the Burton/Schumacher Batman movies, the population seems to have more than its fair share of idiots.

If you're holding an event and advertise there's complimentary food, people will be lining up. People love getting something for free. Nobody really turns those opportunities down because the desire is simply too strong. The herd mentality also comes into play because nobody want to miss out. It's not necessarily that they're idiots, it's just pure human instinct. And jealousy. Logic goes out the window.

Quote from: JokerMeThis on Sun, 27 Nov  2016, 03:41
And Gothamites easily fell under Poison Ivy's spell in the Schumacher Batman movies.

You would have too. lol.

I think part of it too was the big city attitude. I hope that makes sense because I'm not sure how to explain it. People in the city just have this.....idk. They're not necessarily idiots but they're definitely living like a fairy tale or something. At least that's how I see it. And it isn't always a happy fairy tale, I mean look at the poor people in the slums and the homeless in the alleys. It's like there's this detachment from reality? Or their reality is just VERY different from what people that live in suburban or rural areas see as reality? Ugh I'm not making sense, nevermind.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sun, 27 Nov  2016, 04:26If you're holding an event and advertise there's complimentary food, people will be lining up. People love getting something for free. Nobody really turns those opportunities down because the desire is simply too strong. The herd mentality also comes into play because nobody want to miss out. It's not necessarily that they're idiots, it's just pure human instinct. And jealousy. Logic goes out the window.
Pretty much. Someone who announces they'll dump $2 million on the street in a town that is struggling economically won't have any shortage of interest. Even if somebody can only manage to get a couple thousand bucks, well, that's still a mortgage payment or two they won't have to worry about. It's not hard to imagine why they'd go.

The movie implies the money is real but the comic adaptation shows it's counterfeit. The Joker basically wanted to lure everybody into a trap so that he can kill them. This is the sort of thing the Joker should be shown doing more often. There was a time when he was shown committing actual crimes. But lately it's like the only thing writers want to do is send him off on a killing spree. Um, no, that isn't how he works. Or it shouldn't be anyway.

There should always be a prank or cruel joke or an actual crime or something mixed in with the murders. Turning him into a mass murderer is just stupid.

Anyway, point is that Burton handled the character very well in the movie.

Good points there. Being a killer is part of the Joker's personality, but it's not his whole personality. I sincerely hope people don't lose sight of that. Turning the city's water supply into jelly, for example, is an actual crime. And he does it BOTH for a laugh, and to make life tougher for all involved. Joker in recent years has become less of a humour themed criminal and more of an anarchist in Crow makeup.

And Gothamites easily fell under the Riddler's spell and Poison Ivy's spell in the Schumacher Batman movies.

To be fair though, you'd have to be superhuman to resist mind control.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Mon, 28 Nov  2016, 13:37
Good points there. Being a killer is part of the Joker's personality, but it's not his whole personality. I sincerely hope people don't lose sight of that.

Too late. This attitude has been prevalent for nearly a decade now, and I don't see it changing any time soon.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Mon, 28 Nov  2016, 13:37
Joker in recent years has become less of a humour themed criminal and more of an anarchist in Crow makeup.

(cringes) :-[

I think the only time we've gotten anything close to black humour was Joker and his goons armed in SWAT gear as they break Harley Quinn out of prison at the end of Suicide Squad. But even then, it doesn't compare to B89's Joker dancing to Prince at a parade full of balloons filled with toxic gas.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Mon, 28 Nov  2016, 01:01
The movie implies the money is real but the comic adaptation shows it's counterfeit. The Joker basically wanted to lure everybody into a trap so that he can kill them.

I would've preferred the money was fake - it would've been the ultimate deadly gag by the Joker. More so because the balloon with the long Pinocchio nose would've foreshadowed what was about to come perfectly.  ;D

QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Wasn't there supposed to be a scene that was deleted or never filmed showing them discovering the money was fake? I read that somewhere.

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Mon, 28 Nov  2016, 14:12

To be fair though, you'd have to be superhuman to resist mind control.
]

Not having a brain works too. Go me!

Quote from: Catwoman on Mon, 28 Nov  2016, 23:33
Wasn't there supposed to be a scene that was deleted or never filmed showing them discovering the money was fake? I read that somewhere.
In the comic I think.