And our new Batman is apparently.....

Started by Catwoman, Fri, 17 May 2019, 01:35

Previous topic - Next topic
I feel like Keaton fans already know the cycle of outrage that comes with a Batman announcement. Him and Affleck got the worst of it, but everyone's got a strong opinion on the subject. My generation experienced Twilight phenomenon firsthand, and that's probably where a lot of the strong reactions are from. Though I can't fault any cast/crew for trying to move on from that period. Clearly he's got something going for him if he made it this far in the auditions. I remember most fans were won over the second we saw Affleck's batsuit, so I'll eagerly await a similar reveal.

Quote from: Kamdan on Fri, 17 May  2019, 17:10
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Fri, 17 May  2019, 12:47
Reeves wants a more cerebral, character driven Batman with an emphasis on detective work.
We've heard that kind of talk for years, but that mostly gets sidelined with the studio wanting something more straightforward. It would be nice for them to let the filmmakers off the leash and see what they can give us and hopefully not another Dark Knight clone. Going with Battison helps them drum up some publicity like when Keaton was cast. Problem is that Burton and Keaton has to prove what they were doing was not comedy. There's nothing really to prove here beside that they're doing another dark and serious Batman film.

As discussed in the other thread, why don't they try something we haven't seen attempted for a while and show Batman with Robin again. Don't do as cheaply as Batman & Robin and make it campfest, but something that evokes those 40's comics so that it doesn't feel like they're doing a pale imitation of what has been done for the last decade and a half. This casting is just a further reminder that not much of a risk is willing to be taken and we'll just have to wait until they try again.
I've seen a fair amount of whining from the usual sources that Pattinson is a safe choice and doesn't break the mold in any meaningful way.

Whether anybody likes it or not, WB has to prove that they can make an entertaining Batman movie again. I can't fault them too much for wanting to play it safe. Pattinson is safe.

And to be clear, I have no problem with that. Can't wait for Battinson. Just saying that he IS a safe choice and that's what WB wants, I think.

If I'm right about WB wanting this to be safe, I think Reeves had better be ready to sacrifice all or some of the detective story he wants to tell. I suspect Warners will insist on as commercial a film as possible.

Disclaimer: I'm not predicting anything and it's not like I have inside sources or whatever. Totally speculating here.

Quote from: Slash Man on Fri, 17 May  2019, 23:34
I feel like Keaton fans already know the cycle of outrage that comes with a Batman announcement. Him and Affleck got the worst of it, but everyone's got a strong opinion on the subject. My generation experienced Twilight phenomenon firsthand, and that's probably where a lot of the strong reactions are from. Though I can't fault any cast/crew for trying to move on from that period. Clearly he's got something going for him if he made it this far in the auditions. I remember most fans were won over the second we saw Affleck's batsuit, so I'll eagerly await a similar reveal.
Indeed. Being a 'safe' choice is a strange criticism when casting an iconic character. I'd say all of the Batman actors have been 'safe' and for the obvious reasons. The freakout over Affleck especially seems silly now when you consider he was always a good looking guy with a built frame. PatBat has the looks and something of a female following from what I gather. So what's the problem? I only see these things as positives. The freakouts aren't about their existing qualities but rather their past work - Mr Mom, Daredevil and Twilight. The complexity should always come from the script, and hopefully Reeves gets to hold on to that detective focus with a bunch of costumed villains, as indicated. PatBat would need to hit the gym, but Affleck and everyone else did that, so that's not a concern. Or a more lithe Batman may not be a bad thing.

I would say Bale was, by far, the "safest" of any Batman casting we've ever seen. The fans were asking for him before we even knew a new Batman movie was in development, and once it was announced, it was like universal praise. There was no pushback, at all. Definitely got crazy with Keaton and Affleck, though. People were not happy about that. I'm not seeing any major pushback with Pattinson. I'm actually seeing way more defense over him, but with no negative pushback....which is weird. It's like people were expecting the worst, and felt like they needed to preemptively defend the guy, even though I'm not seeing/hearing that much flak. People seem to be fine with it.

I can't wait to find out who the villains are, and then getting releases of the Batsuit, Batmobile, our first looks at Gotham, etc. Very exciting times ahead of us. I can't wait! I just hope we get a more stylized/fantastical Gotham, like Burton/Furst. It doesn't need to be as gothic, but something more stylized than the regular Chicago look that Nolan gave us.

Also, crossing my fingers for a Neal Adams style suit, with them bringing the oval back. I doubt we'll get it, I even think we may go back to an all black suit(I hope not), but it would be so cool to get a blue and grey suit with the oval.

Quote from: Travesty on Sat, 18 May  2019, 03:37
I'm not seeing any major pushback with Pattinson. I'm actually seeing way more defense over him, but with no negative pushback....which is weird. It's like people were expecting the worst, and felt like they needed to preemptively defend the guy, even though I'm not seeing/hearing that much flak. People seem to be fine with it.
I agree, Trav. I also think people have learned to wait and see. As the Batman Online Twitter says, bring it on.

Quote from: Travesty on Sat, 18 May  2019, 03:37
I can't wait to find out who the villains are, and then getting releases of the Batsuit, Batmobile, our first looks at Gotham, etc. Very exciting times ahead of us. I can't wait! I just hope we get a more stylized/fantastical Gotham, like Burton/Furst. It doesn't need to be as gothic, but something more stylized than the regular Chicago look that Nolan gave us.
I'm curious to see if they push the idea this is a young Batfleck - meaning the location of the batcave, which was under the glasshouse in BvS. I'm guessing we'll have PatBat living in a version of Wayne Manor, and we'll just assume if we want, that this was before Batfleck let the place go into a state of disrepair years later.

As for the villains, I'm thinking the Penguin or maybe the Riddler could be possible.

Been hearing reports of the villains being The Penguin and Catwoman. Hope there has been more imagination put into it since we've seen that pairing already.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sat, 18 May  2019, 04:16
I'm curious to see if they push the idea this is a young Batfleck

I would actually be more intrigued with this movie if that actually turns out to be the case.

QuoteAs for the villains, I'm thinking the Penguin or maybe the Riddler could be possible.

In keeping with the DCEU continuity, Penguin would be the logical choice for a villain. He's already been alluded to by Alfred after all.

As for Pattison, I've literally seen nothing he's been in, so right now I'm basically apathetic with his casting. I understand he's improved over the years with indie movies, as opposed to the mainstream stuff he's overwhelmingly known for, so we'll see of course.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sat, 18 May  2019, 04:16I'm curious to see if they push the idea this is a young Batfleck - meaning the location of the batcave, which was under the glasshouse in BvS. I'm guessing we'll have PatBat living in a version of Wayne Manor, and we'll just assume if we want, that this was before Batfleck let the place go into a state of disrepair years later.

As for the villains, I'm thinking the Penguin or maybe the Riddler could be possible.
Rumor has it that the villains will include Penguin and Catwoman.

There are no definitive sources for that so take this information with as many grains of salt as you see fit.

Quote from: Kamdan on Sat, 18 May  2019, 12:05
Been hearing reports of the villains being The Penguin and Catwoman. Hope there has been more imagination put into it since we've seen that pairing already.
Hmm. Gotta admit I'd prefer a brand new villain pairing. However, running with this concept, you'd the have Penguin be completely different to Danny's incarnation, obviously. A gentleman of crime who operates from the Iceberg Lounge. And Catwoman presented as a genuine thief breaking into high security facilities. Michelle didn't do any of that, as it was all about blowing things up and getting revenge on Max. TDK Rises had elements of thievery, but it was so minimal to be forgettable.

So indeed, if Reeves goes the Catwoman route he has a TON of potential to show the comic character as we haven't really seen on the big screen before. And that also goes for Oswald. So while the pairing seems "oh, them again?", I could still manage to be interested. Especially if they cast Catwoman well.

Quote from: The Joker on Sat, 18 May  2019, 12:36
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sat, 18 May  2019, 04:16
I'm curious to see if they push the idea this is a young Batfleck

I would actually be more intrigued with this movie if that actually turns out to be the case.
I'm guessing it will be a BF approach. Loose connections but essentially a new beginning.

I've only see him in those Twilight movies so I'm in no position to judge.

I remember that Christian Bale was my number one choice for BW/Batman before he was even officially cast due to his work on American Psycho.
But then I was hugely disappointed with the finished result in the Nolan trilogy.

I'm happy to take a wait and see approach.