Superman Lives!

Started by THE BAT-MAN, Fri, 20 Mar 2009, 20:28

Previous topic - Next topic
Fri, 20 Mar 2009, 20:28 Last Edit: Sun, 20 Feb 2011, 04:50 by THE BAT-MAN
What are your thoughts on Tim Burton's canceled project, Superman Lives!?
Here are the details:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superman_(film_series)#Superman_Lives

I never liked the idea, nor the way Superman looks. If anything, Superman movies were 100% Richard Donner material.

I don't see how it could've been any worse than Singerman.

That being said, I think we can all agree we should set our sights a bit higher when it comes to Superman films.

As Batman films should embrace the fantasy angle, Superman films should embrace the sci-fi angle.  There's nothing remotely "realistic" about those characters so why force either of them into a world to which they don't belong?

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Fri, 20 Mar  2009, 21:02
I don't see how it could've been any worse than Singerman.

Frankly, Superman Returns, while it wasn't that great of a film, seems like gold after comparing it to these scripts, esp. the first one.

Burton's sensibilities don't line up with Superman's and he was always the wrong guy for the job, but at least when his movie tanked WB would likely have made a course correction and given us something more in line with the comics.

My fear is that some tool at WB thinks Singerman *DOES* line up with the comics and nothing could be further from the truth.  Singer's abortion of a film doesn't have the obvious flaws that Burton's thing would have had and that may work against comics fans, I fear.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Fri, 20 Mar  2009, 21:35
My fear is that some tool at WB thinks Singerman *DOES* line up with the comics and nothing could be further from the truth.  Singer's abortion of a film doesn't have the obvious flaws that Burton's thing would have had and that may work against comics fans, I fear.

Oh yes, now I definitely know how you feel (this also includes my concern for the Batman films).

Quote from: Dark Knight Detective on Fri, 20 Mar  2009, 20:33
I never liked the idea, nor the way Superman looks. If anything, Superman movies were 100% Richard Donner material.

While i still would have liked to have seen it, I do agree with you Burton should stick with Batman.

I would have liked to seen the film and Cage's Clark. I think it would have been visually stunning but it likely (Most definitely) wouldn't reflect the man of steel. An S that turns into blades is badass, but not superman.

Burton's Superman would have rocked. Sure, it'd be his take on the character, but it would be equally enthralling. A lot better than that pathetic Singer movie.

^ But let's not get too out of character. Things like that give birth to films such as Catwoman.