THE FLASH (1990) Television Series Discussion

Started by Kamdan, Thu, 23 Oct 2008, 22:19

Previous topic - Next topic

I merged an existing Flash series topic with the new one Darrell, hope you don't mind.

No problem, ral. "I forgot I had it."  ;D
When the series first aired, I had my parents tape every episode after the pilot aired. The only I think we missed was "Double Vision." That one was a real suprise for me to see when it came out on DVD. They spanded out on three tapes, but I think that there was a rouge fourth tape that had the episodes "Captain Cold" and "Fast Foward." Again, they were a real joy to see again once I got the DVD set. Before the set came out, I had also aquired the VHS releases Warners put out for the pilot and one where they cut together The Trickster episodes as a movie. One thing I noticed about The Trickster VHS was that the entire movie was sourced from a film print and the effects blended together perfectly. On my tapes and DVDs, the effects scenes had a film-texture to it while the rest looked like video. Also, the title sequence, sourced from video, didn't transfer all that well to film. There was also a third one that combined the episodes with The Nightshade. I REALLY wanted to get my hands on that one, but it was only released outside the U.S. I wanted it, because the begining of the episode "Ghost in the Machine" was partially taped over. I also wanted to see it because I wanted to see more of the actress who played Young Belle in the episode. She's quite a looker! Judge for yourself in the aftermentioned episode!

Deadly Nightshade was released as a video over here

I remember when the feature-length pilot was released on VHS back in the early 90s, and I instantly thought it was a new Batman-like movie. Well, I'm not in the US or the UK so the show came out on video before reaching the tube, and I remember enjoying it because it felt so much like Batman - thanks in large part to the costume and the music.

Of course through the years one clearly sees the artistic merit (or lack of artistic merit) of the things they enjoyed as children, but this show is worth mentioning in any comic-to-film discussion, it is so much better than many live action comics of the 90s anyway. It has entertainment value, Shipp is so much likeable as the title character, and (more importantly) features Mark Hammill's unofficial debut as the Joker!

Quote from: Darrell Kaiser on Wed, 17 Jun  2009, 10:09
Did you ever manage to see it, ral?

I missed this one!

yeah i saw it back in the day - liked it a lot - more so than the trickster movie.  I must watch it again.

Quote from: Darrell Kaiser on Tue, 16 Jun  2009, 07:49I always thought that the suit was made out of felt. I'm sure it was devised instead of rubber so that Shipp could actually run in it.
A move that never made sense to me.  Felt, foam or rubber, none make sense for the Flash.  If any hero should be running around in spandex, it should be the Flash.

He's got you there! I think they just wanted a crimson look to it. Spandex wouldn't do that color much justice and it made it more defined.