Superman (2025)

Started by Travesty, Tue, 27 Jun 2023, 20:37

Previous topic - Next topic
Tue, 27 Jun 2023, 20:37 Last Edit: Fri, 1 Mar 2024, 19:24 by Silver Nemesis
So it looks like they announced who will play both Clark and Lois:

David Corenswet for Clark/Superman and Rachel Brosnahan for Lois Lane.

Tue, 27 Jun 2023, 20:53 #1 Last Edit: Tue, 27 Jun 2023, 21:00 by Gotham Knight
Maybe I'll end up having to put my foot in my mouth, but God how milk toast can you get? The most vanilla actors you can possibly muster.

Edit. I've listened to some of their interviews and it is clear in the case of Rachel Brosnahan that they are deliberately trying to evoke Kidder. She even has the same slight speech impediment.

I'll be the a-hole who says it.

This casting is 100% less woke than I was expecting.

I'd like to claim that I predicted this, since I posted the following last year.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Thu, 15 Dec  2022, 11:55So that brings us to the question of who will succeed him. The fan favourite to replace Cavill in recent years seems to be American actor David Corenswet. He's 29 years old, 6'4 and has that classic chiselled blue-eyed Superman look. He resembles a cross between Welling and Cavill.

Like Christopher Reeve, Corenswet is also a graduate of Julliard. I've never seen him in anything, so I can't comment on his acting abilities, but he has quite a few credits to his name and definitely looks the part. He'd just need to spend a few months bulking up at the gym.
https://www.batman-online.com/forum/index.php?topic=4075.msg67747#msg67747

But if I'm being honest...

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Tue, 27 Jun  2023, 21:30This casting is 100% less woke than I was expecting.

Same here.

I don't think I've seen either of these actors in anything, but they both look the part. And it's nice that they've upheld the tradition of casting a Superman actor whose surname begins with R or C.

Reeves, Reeve, Routh.

Collyer, Christopher, Cain, Cavill, Cage, Corenswet.

How convenient to announce this news while Flash is flopping hard at the box office. ::)

Make no mistake, this is a PR tactic to distract people from the disastrous news about the Flash projecting to make even less money than Black Adam, and how the stupid studio may lose between $200-300 million because of it. With the way WBD is struggling financially, who knows if this reboot is even going to get made?

But even if it does get made, the Cavill fiasco will long haunt them, and hiring another actor who has a resemblance to him is just laughable. On top of the fact that Gunn hijacked this project, how he describes Superman as a "galoot", yeah, he can shove it. If that isn't amusing enough, he wants to project to be set in a world where DC heroes already exist, and have as many cameos as possible. And people thought BvS was rushing it, how rich.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Tue, 27 Jun  2023, 21:30I'll be the a-hole who says it.

This casting is 100% less woke than I was expecting.
If they went with woke casting with the leads the reboot would've been instantly dead on arrival for me and I imagine many others. That's not to say I suddenly don't have concerns about Gunn and the way this all came about to begin with. But give me 'vanilla' actors who actually look like the comic characters every day of the week. Corenswet was the best choice from the shortlist IMO.

It seems Superman's new solo movie will feature Hawkgirl, Mister Terrific, Guy Gardner and Metamorpho. So... how exactly is it a solo movie? Did cramming Black Adam and The Flash with lots of extra heroes help them at the box office? Is this really a winning formula at a time when fans are crying out for smaller and more focused solo films?

I also question the move to heavily integrate DCU characters into the mix so early on and gambling on the assumption the universe you're creating will be well received and have legs.

Well, I just find it comically ironic, because one of the main gripes that people levied at Snyder, was that he rushed into his universe too quickly with too many characters, and that he needed to take the time to build it up like the MCU. And to their credit, there are some merits to those claims, but that was Snyder's second movie, this is Gunn's first, and he already has more DC characters in it than BvS, and I'm not seeing these criticisms.

I dunno, I'm not mad or anything, I just find it funny how fickle people can be. lol

Quote from: Travesty on Wed,  2 Aug  2023, 13:54Well, I just find it comically ironic, because one of the main gripes that people levied at Snyder, was that he rushed into his universe too quickly with too many characters, and that he needed to take the time to build it up like the MCU. And to their credit, there are some merits to those claims, but that was Snyder's second movie, this is Gunn's first, and he already has more DC characters in it than BvS, and I'm not seeing these criticisms.

I dunno, I'm not mad or anything, I just find it funny how fickle people can be. lol
If it came out tomorrow that 50% of the "fan opposition" that Snyder's films faced was astroturf perpetuated by Disney's Twitter bots, I would believe it.