Gotham Knights (CW)

Started by Silver Nemesis, Thu, 7 Jul 2022, 18:45

Previous topic - Next topic
Yet another low quality Batman-without-Batman TV show is about to be expelled from the bowels of the CW.

Carrie Kelley is the latest redhead to be turned black. I'm starting to suspect there's an industry guideline that says casting directors have to do this now.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Thu,  7 Jul  2022, 18:45
Carrie Kelley is the latest redhead to be turned black. I'm starting to suspect there's an industry guideline that says casting directors have to do this now.
Doesn't it take place more or less in the present day? If that's where you're positioning Carrie Kelley, I'd argue you're already behind the 8-ball in terms of doing her character justice.

That aside, and for those who may not know, I have a horse in this race. Try as I might, I can't figure out why their "representation" has to come at the expense of mine. But that seems to be happening.

I think even Lightning Lad is black in the comics these days. Or maybe not.

Anyway, yeah, this show is getting filed right under #CrapIllNeverWatch.

Their logic is that anyone can be anything. You don't even need to look like a character to get the job. Which means people who shouldn't have the honor of taking on a mantle are doing so on a regular basis, and whoever should and would have played the part sits on the sidelines. The powers that be have gone so hard the other way to the point of parody and engage in discrimination themselves, but of course it's okay if they're doing it. They can keep up their games but the rejection will also keep happening, such as Lightyear's poor financial and critical response.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Thu,  7 Jul  2022, 19:00
That aside, and for those who may not know, I have a horse in this race. Try as I might, I can't figure out why their "representation" has to come at the expense of mine. But that seems to be happening.

I think even Lightning Lad is black in the comics these days. Or maybe not.

Anyway, yeah, this show is getting filed right under #CrapIllNeverWatch.

Never really paid much attention to Hollywood's disregard for redheads.

I don't have any stake in this, and I don't really care if people race-swapped (for a lack of a PC term), as long as the acting and the content itself is good. This is not the case from what I saw in this trailer. I predict it will get canceled before the season finishes.

Hollywood loves to preach representation, but behind closed doors, they don't practice what they preach. Candice Patton claims the CW treats her differently compared to the other actors.

https://geekositymag.com/the-flashs-candice-patton-said-warner-bros-didnt-protect-her-from-racist-attacks/
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Tue, 12 Jul  2022, 14:49
Hollywood loves to preach representation, but behind closed doors, they don't practice what they preach. Candice Patton claims the CW treats her differently compared to the other actors.

https://geekositymag.com/the-flashs-candice-patton-said-warner-bros-didnt-protect-her-from-racist-attacks/
All due respect to (and concern for!) Patton. But I'm not sure what she thinks WB or CW could've done to spare her that stuff.

And if I'm being honest, I tend to be skeptical of "racist attacks" that aren't documented in some way. There are many fair and legitimate criticisms of Iris in the first two seasons that have nothing to do with her race. Simply hearing that someone doesn't like the depiction of a character is not necessarily a reflection on that actor's race. I have to wonder if that's part of Patton's complaint, because every other character on the show demonstrated a lot of their own personal agency to achieve their goals and successes while Iris spent those seasons having everything handed to her on a silver platter by someone else. The only thing she achieved on her own was getting fired from somewhere.

Get the world's smallest violin for Candice. I don't give a stuff about her or anybody in the entertainment industry in relation to 'social media trolls'. Anyone who is being paid a fortune to play dress up is in the public sphere and thus fair game. That's always been the trade off of celebrity. If anyone doesn't meet audience expectations it's the right of that audience to say so in any way they see fit. It reflects on them and nobody else. You can't control what a crowd thinks or says, and trying to is meaningless as minds aren't being changed anyway. Stop with the public relations micromanaging and victimhood mindset.

Here's the trailer for the latest Batman-without-Batman TV show.

Weren't Birds of Prey, Gotham, Titans, Pennyworth and Batwoman enough? Apparently not.

It's sad how the majority of live action TV shows based on the Batman mythos do not star Batman. Bruce is usually too young, too old, too vanished, too evil or too dead to protect Gotham.

I wish these shows didn't exist, and to me they don't. I haven't watched any of them and have no plans to do so. The Gotham Knights game rubbed me the wrong way and I feel the same way about this program. Batman is resilient enough as a character to withstand rubbish interpretations, but the bad products really stick out when the majority has been fairly consistent. Batman deserves better than what these shows dish up in concept and budget. To me, Batman dying in the prime of his career is simply an idea that could happen, but something we'd never actually see. It breaks the inherent fantasy of him as a character, and it's a big reason why I loathe what Gotham Knights is doing. But I don't see it or any of the others as a threat - they're just an annoyance.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Sat, 21 Jan  2023, 18:50Weren't Birds of Prey, Gotham, Titans, Pennyworth and Batwoman enough? Apparently not.
BOP is a bizarre artifact from a different time. I think the show could have matured and improved if it had been given more of a chance. And another season.

We shouldn't be too surprised that shows like this are becoming more common tho. Batman is by far the most popular DC character. And I think he's the only DC character that WBD (or whatever we're calling them this month) even likes or understands.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Sat, 21 Jan  2023, 18:50Bruce is usually too young, too old, too vanished, too evil or too dead to protect Gotham.
Yeah, there's a message there. Forum rules prevent me from stating what the message is. But you're intelligent, I'm sure you can guess.