Bat-Keaton to be referenced in upcoming Arrowverse crossover

Started by Silver Nemesis, Fri, 11 Oct 2019, 19:36

Previous topic - Next topic
The entire shtick of Crisis in comics was eliminating the multiverse. That was the story's purpose and pledge. It's great to think the other worlds would survive but that's kind of contrary to the entire point of Crisis.

It's kinda funny that Crisis was originally pitched during a dinner between Dick Giordano, John Byrne, and Frank Miller in the early 1980's, as a "history of DC", which would pull together all the disparate parts and pound them into some kind of cohesive shape. Then, as it goes, blow everything up, literally, in the twelfth issue. Subsequently, all the books would be restarted/rebooted with first issues over the months that followed. Course that didn't happen, and Crisis later mutated into what we got. Which, time and time again, has always proved to be counter productive. As each time a "fix" is implemented, it's only a matter of time before editors and writers simply cannot help themselves without some invocation of the mutliple Earths and characters. Thus making it evident they didn't have to courage, the conviction, the commitment to really grab that broom and sweep clean. Each time, bits and pieces of the old continuity, peppered with story and character elements that, essentially, depend on what went before, hung on.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: Azrael on Mon, 14 Oct  2019, 09:02
Yes. Things are interesting. The time when one had to be almost "apologetic" for being a fan of Burton's Batman, is only but a memory.
I've never watched any of the CW shows except the first few episodes of Arrow Season One, but I'm also interested in this.
Knox appearing is certainly interesting, but I still won't be considering this canon.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sat, 19 Oct  2019, 03:01
Quote from: Azrael on Mon, 14 Oct  2019, 09:02
Yes. Things are interesting. The time when one had to be almost "apologetic" for being a fan of Burton's Batman, is only but a memory.
I've never watched any of the CW shows except the first few episodes of Arrow Season One, but I'm also interested in this.
Knox appearing is certainly interesting, but I still won't be considering this canon.

Agreed, it's NOT canon. Anything the CW-verse does with older, superior live action versions like the Burtonverse, Smallville etc. doesn't amount to anything more than professionally produced fan fiction. But the opportunity to see them again in live action, it's interesting.

But then, as other members are discussing in previous posts, they'll probably kill them off (their universes, or "earths"), so it's also a bit of a waste too.
Never been a fan of the CW DC series, I doubt I will become one now.

Someone else posted the Wuhl news again today in my FB feed, I feel silly for not having read before the entire article, and only the headline.

QuoteThe scene Wuhl was spotted filming has the actor sitting on a bench simply reading a newspaper until something happens in the sky that gets his attention.

source

Yes, it should be obvious what's going on, and how much screentime this will take.

Quote from: Azrael on Mon, 21 Oct  2019, 10:57
Someone else posted the Wuhl news again today in my FB feed, I feel silly for not having read before the entire article, and only the headline.

QuoteThe scene Wuhl was spotted filming has the actor sitting on a bench simply reading a newspaper until something happens in the sky that gets his attention.

source

Yes, it should be obvious what's going on, and how much screentime this will take.

It sounds exactly like I suspected. They're going to destroy the Burtonverse. Wankers.

Quote from: The Joker on Fri, 18 Oct  2019, 04:13
I would like to think CW is, at the very lest, aware that destroying Earth-89, and/or Earth-Smallville (whatever the number?) is likely to cause a backlash, but yeah, we'll see. With the last CW crossover, Earth-90 was destroyed (1990 Flash John Wesley Shipp), but I think that particular version/series is, honestly, alot less revered than Burton's Batman and the Smallville show.

I haven't watched the Elseworlds crossover, but I did see the Shipp Barry Allen promo where his world gets destroyed. I could handle that because the CW always had respect for the 1990 show's legacy - particularly towards Shipp, Amanda Pays and Mark Hamill. But we don't really get to see much references to Burton's Batman nowadays in today's pop culture, till now. And when we do, it's cheap fan service in what I find to be rather insulting. What's the point?

Oh well, I shouldn't get too worked up. If this is the sort of quality to expect from a CW crossover, we're in for a show. A very poor, underbudgeted one at that.  :-[

And to think John Ostrander once said Tyler Hoechlin is a better Superman than Henry Cavill.  ;D

Sad to see the Arrowverse decline in quality. I used to watch those shows a lot a few years ago.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

I don't give a toss about the CW.  I was never a fan (for me it's a pale imitation of Smallville, which was itself hardly a definitive take on Superman), so the CW can treat the other (superior) DC onscreen Universes how it likes.  I don't consider it to have any canonical relationship to the Burton films, or any of the other past DC cinematic universes.  It's an alternate take at best.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

So according to the latest episode of Supergirl, the Burtonverse is Earth-89. And the Joker is... still alive?

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Mon,  9 Dec  2019, 12:56
So according to the latest episode of Supergirl, the Burtonverse is Earth-89. And the Joker is... still alive?

They couldn't even get the Batsignal right. Batman '89's 30th anniversary has been pretty disappointing.

Ohhhh, that was supposed to be Burton's universe? I saw Knox, but I thought he was in a Batman Beyond universe, because the Batsignal looked like they used the Beyond logo.

I need to watch that scene again.