Batman Forever: Virtual Workprint

Started by I_Only_Said, Mon, 21 Feb 2011, 17:25

Previous topic - Next topic
I look forward to a higher quality version at some point, but still, what we get is stunning! HD obviously isn't viable because the deleted scenes are SD-only, but higher bitrate/anamorphic/with end credits would be my only wishes.

Dude, you've done what I've always dreamed of seeing. Not only re-integrating the deleted scenes with Goldenthal's score and proper sound editing (the degradation of the theatrical footage was barely distracting actually, and it flowed perfectly, even the slight color desaturation was neat), but restoring Schmacher's vision, as opposed to enforcing someone else's.

BF is too rife with elements people dislike to morph it into an entirely different film. If you wanted to make Two-Face seem more calm (for example), you can't do it because he's manic in scenes that are too important to cut away, etc... Likewise, trying to make it into a Burton film doesn't work because it doesn't have enough of the Burtonisms and you can't replace the score unless you have access to the dialogue and foley tracks to remake the sound mix. So choosing to just enhance the film by working within its boundaries was the smartest thing to do.

The reintegration of deleted scenes and the rejiggering of the opening act into its scripted form together give the film a different feel. Big credits up first, then Harvey's escape, Wayne inspection and then to the Bank is great because it doesn't hit us with Batman right away. We get teased with a foreboding threat in Two-Face, then we get a taste of Wayne first, being a straight-laced businessman... then into the Batcave for his transformation. It works much better than the theatrical, which is not bad or anything, but this has the quality of thoughtful writing, building our anticipation to see this new Dark Knight swing into action.

Even the continuence of the opening credits once he gets to the Batcave (unavoidable as it's in the theatrical footage) isn't distracting like I thought. It's part of that release of anticipation, as if once the narrative started, everything else must stop until Batman enters the picture. Making the Arkham escape and the Wayne inspection sort of a prologue.

The Red Book subplot was the emotional heart of the film, and seeing it seamlessly merged back in not only makes the film feel more fulfilling and complete, but also makes the ripples throughout the story we all knew it would. I'd also like to point out how the scene with Bruce watching the news reporter's rant against Batman enriches the scenes afterward.

The point is well raised about just how helpful Batman is, and if he attracts the freaks to the city, thus making Bruce feel even more uncertain about what's right. Compound that with his worry for Dick and fears that Chase only likes the Bat, and you really, really feel for the guy, in the same way you did for Keaton's Wayne, which I found surprising. It greatly improves Kilmer's already nuanced performance, which makes sense since he was acting with the continuity of these scenes in his mind. It also lends greater resonance to his shut-down-the-Batcave scene later, because now you see just how pent-up these feelings have been. After his meeting with Chase, the "Riddler/Two-Face find out" scene feels much darker. You've just seen how Batman is at his wit's end and is having trouble holding it together... and now the two most dangerous men in Gotham know his biggest secret. It's foreboding and spooky, because the improved narrative makes us wonder if Bruce is up-to facing what's coming (which he wasn't, we know).

It's funny, even though you know the deleted scenes, bringing them back into context gives them a whole new quality. I highly, highly recommend this cut as the best way to view the film.
"There's just as much room for the television series and the comic books as there is for my movie. Why wouldn't there be?" - Tim Burton

Quote from: DocLathropBrown on Sun, 27 Apr  2014, 23:41
BF is too rife with elements people dislike to morph it into an entirely different film. If you wanted to make Two-Face seem more calm (for example), you can't do it because he's manic in scenes that are too important to cut away, etc... Likewise, trying to make it into a Burton film doesn't work because it doesn't have enough of the Burtonisms and you can't replace the score unless you have access to the dialogue and foley tracks to remake the sound mix. So choosing to just enhance the film by working within its boundaries was the smartest thing to do.

I really could not have said it any better myself. This was basically my entire motivation to do this, and you've seen perfectly what I hoped a fan would see in it. Thank you for the kind words.

My only dissatisfaction with this project is that *all* the deleted material wasn't available to reinstate, and so it still feels partially incomplete to me. I'd still love to see the construction of Nygmatech, Bruce and Alfred examining the Box, Riddler knocking out Chase, even the final shot as it was originally conceived (though my guess is that the visual fx were probably never completed). While they're not necessarily integral to the plot, everything that was taken out enriches the story, makes the overall scale that much bigger, and helps everything make a little more sense. Still, I attempted to do the next best thing with what's out there. 

Also, I'm not sure if I ended up putting the deleted conversation between Bruce and Dick in quite the right spot. From what I can remember (it's been a couple years) I was looking to the latest available draft of the script as a guide for how to re-structure things, but was unable to find an equivalent to that scene anywhere. Even though it's supposedly the production draft, it still differs greatly in many spots to what we see in the film, so I assume they must've taken one more pass at it before filming and/or rewritten a lot along the way. I tried my best to fit it in a way that worked, though.

Just saw it an was very impressed! It seemed like a whole new movie, though I've seen this movie the 3rd most next to 89 and Returns. 

I was amazed at how clear the story is now and things makes so much for sense!

Also, I am super impressed by your video editing skills!

Mon, 28 Apr 2014, 04:17 #23 Last Edit: Mon, 28 Apr 2014, 04:20 by DocLathropBrown
Yeah, I'll be honest. I'd say 95-99% of fan editors make horrible, jarring mistakes. From something as simple as not making sure all the audio that's newly added is equalized properly, to worse things like editing something into swiss cheese just to remove things that rubs their geekiness the wrong way. I was afraid, given the promise of this edit's intent, that the skills would not be up to snuff, but they were. For example, I_Only not only added foley to the deleted scenes, but doesn't drown out the dialogue with foley or music, but also remembers the logistics of proper sound design. The Batcave viewing of the anti-Batman editorial on TV contains a proper cave echo on the TV and Bruce/Alfred's dialogue that isn't on the scene to start with, I don't think. It's the perfect touch that blends the footage back into the film seamlessly, but also adds authenticity to the edit.

This is better put together than 99% of the fanedits I've seen. Yeah, honestly, which of us wouldn't want to trim a little of Two-Face's goofiness? Well, it can't be done, so don't fight it. Personally, I really was so satisfied with the film that I'm no longer bothered by such little things, and I think this newer, fleshed-out cut only serves to prove not only Schumacher's qualities as a director of narrative, but also the difference between this and Batman & Robin. B&R is nowhere near as much of a 'real' film as BF is. This cut's expansion of the storyline turns what was already contender for the best Batman film story and clinches it. It's the best exploration of Bruce Wayne yet put to film, and your edit gives it more nuance and room to breathe.

This edit, as far as I'm concerned, is the perfect capper to the trilogy Tim Burton inadvertantly began.
"There's just as much room for the television series and the comic books as there is for my movie. Why wouldn't there be?" - Tim Burton

Mon, 28 Apr 2014, 05:50 #24 Last Edit: Mon, 5 May 2014, 01:48 by I_Only_Said
Thank you again, Doc. It really means a lot.

Still warring with the machines to make the aspect ratio work, lol. I know, it should be simple.

Takes about six hours to render each time, so I'm gonna take a break for tonight. ;)

I hope an mpeg-standard version will come in the near future, since I would love to be able to play this on my PS3!

Quote from: DocLathropBrown on Mon, 28 Apr  2014, 06:35
I hope an mpeg-standard version will come in the near future, since I would love to be able to play this on my PS3!

Should have it ready pretty soon.  8)

Quote from: eledoremassis02 on Mon, 28 Apr  2014, 07:37
what is new on Version 2? ;D

;D Was trying to correct an issue with the frame size, though it didn't quite work. I think I've finally figured it out though, so the kinks should be all worked out on the next revision.

You know, I hope this gets popular enough so that Joel can actually re-assemble his version someday. Though if that never happens, at least we've still got this to watch.  ;)

Quote from: Slash Man on Tue, 29 Apr  2014, 21:27
You know, I hope this gets popular enough so that Joel can actually re-assemble his version someday.

That would be awesome.

Proper mp4 upload will be up in a couple days, just making a couple last tweaks.