The Ninja/Batman's Code

Started by Catwoman, Mon, 19 Oct 2015, 18:29

Previous topic - Next topic
Ok, so, this morning I decided (mostly on a sudden whim lol) to watch the two episodes of BTAS with Kyodai Ken. I love both episodes, the look into Bruce's time in Japan and past at the dojo in the first one, then the actual trip to Japan in the second one. Japan seems like a really neat place. I love the blend of tradition and technology. If only I could bring myself to eat the food, maybe I would plan a trip there some day lol. Another great part of the first episode is the way Dick is a total smartass, but in a hilarious way. Like when he mimics Batman, and the  face he makes at Bruce when Bruce corrects the number of robberies at Wayne companies, i had to pause it cause i was laughing so hard.

With all that said though, Kyodai's demise is the main reason for this post. Keep in mind, he is a deadly ninja thief sworn to destroy Bruce Wayne and everything he holds dear who now has knowledge of this horrible, deadly touch that can kill a man (do you really think he would have gone the rest of his life without trying again? and the next person he tried it on probably would not have had the plate under his shirt....a Burton nod perhaps? lol) and who has just tried to use it unsuccessfully on Bruce. Note I say Bruce, cause we sure ain't fooling Kyodai, he knows. So he has that strike against him too. And yet Bruce STILL tries to save him by throwing him the rope. You or me, we would have done the math, said "Later Gator," and gotten the hell out of there lol. I think that scene is a great one because it is like, "ok, this is how noble Batman/Bruce Wayne are. They will try to save one of their deadliest enemies, a deeply personal enemy, from certain death." And yet, Kyodai just calmly kicks it away and bows before being blown to Kingdom Come. Like for those last few seconds, he has a respect for Bruce after having like nothing but total contempt for him the entire story up to that point (even back to the dojo). It was a very great episode about honor and everything else that goes along with it (like Bruce's sensei not wanting to give Kyodai a fake map since it's not in the way of the samurai to do that) and how that shapes Batman.

Sooo yea, did anyone else like these episodes? And wow, I love how profound and intellectual I become when I talk about this show or other things Batman lol. Guess even the dumbest of blondes has her moments ;)

Next time I get an idea for a post I'll just PM it to someone and let them post it, since nothing I say lately gets any response. If y'all want me to f***ing leave just say so, the cold shoulder thing is so high school.

I wouldn't take it so personally Catwoman. I've had my own share of threads that I had started gone unanswered as well.

Back on topic: I mentioned in another thread that Kyodai Ken was my favourite original villain of the series. Sure, he may not be a better villain than the Phantasm or whoever else, but I like how he was the only non-powered/scientific villain who was able to make Batman doubt himself. He's also one of the few screen characters we see who were involved in Bruce's backstory, and naturally hated him for not only being  an outsider (or to put it bluntly - rich and American), but cherished by their sensei. I suppose that Ken felt that Bruce robbed him from his place at the dojo.

But I have to say, I thought Ken was the kind of guy who'd rather die than live through the "shame" of having a compassionate foe like Bruce rescue him. As cliche as it sounds, the man was bad to the bone.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei