Batman and Red Robin #19

Started by Ranyos, Fri, 5 Apr 2013, 15:42

Previous topic - Next topic
So apparently Carrie Kelley, who became the new Robin in "The Dark Knight Returns," is going to be on the cover of next week's issue in her full Robin garb. DC writer Peter Tomasi hasn't confirmed that she will become the new Robin in the wake of Damian's death, but what do you guys think? Should we welcome her into the canon with open arms, or does DC no longer have any idea what they're doing with Batman stories?

Article for reference: http://www.newsarama.com/comics/dc-names-the-new-robin.html

Fri, 5 Apr 2013, 15:48 #1 Last Edit: Fri, 5 Apr 2013, 16:08 by Ranyos
Personally, I don't think she'll come back as Robin. It would be too soon and show that DC really didn't care about the character of Damian Wayne at all.

I think, now that Barbara Gordon has recovered the use of her legs and has resumed her mantle as Batgirl, the DC Universe is now sans-Oracle. Put two and two together, and this scenario is what makes the most sense to me.

I wouldn't mind seeing her as Robin. If continuity is being played about with due to Flashpoint then perhaps things that were considered out of canon (almost Elseworlds-ish) could be brought into play.

However I think it's too soon. I want to see the consequences of Damian's death explored more. Also aren't the next 4 or 5 issues of Batman & Robin going to be named differently anyway (Batman & Red Hood, Batman & Red Robin)?

Should Bruce take on a new Robin just yet? Maybe not. 
Is Jason's backstory still the same in New52? I haven't kept up with Red Hood. If so, that would be 2 Robins lost in a very short time (remember the new continuity is reduced time wise). Would Bruce want to take on a new unknown sidekick in that case?

As far as I know Jason Todd's backstory is still the same, but he fights with the Outlaws as Red Hood and comes back to help Batman on occasion, just like Nightwing and Red Robin do.

As far as DC not having a clue what to do with Batman stories...perhaps a little, but Snyder has been great as the core of this continuity. Without him I'm not sure what we would have.