#BvS SPOILER THREAD

Started by Paul (ral), Tue, 15 Mar 2016, 16:51

Previous topic - Next topic
Man, I can't believe how strongly I disagree with the critics here. I saw the movie this afternoon, and it's either 8 or 9/10 for me. No joke. Affleck has also unseated Michael Keaton as my favourite Bruce Wayne and Batman. There's so much to discuss and I'm ready to fight my corner. It's sad that the film makers get saddled with a 33% Tomato Meter. It is simply absurd.

Fri, 25 Mar 2016, 10:51 #21 Last Edit: Fri, 25 Mar 2016, 10:55 by Wayne49
I think its worth pointing out that not every critic that tagged it with a rotten score was out to "get" this movie. Many liked chunks of the film but felt it just came up short with the ideas it was juggling. Allot of diehards have felt that way too so it's not like there's this massive split between critics and fans. And I don't think its Marvel "conditioning" because Bale and Nolan had a nice run and their films are not Marvel-like (if there is such a measure). Plus DC has enjoyed allot of success on television and critics have warmed to those projects. So I believe it's worth saying that before people feel the need to "fight" for their opinion, it is, at the end of the day, just an opinion. Snyder enjoys making divisive films. And because he does, he will never find a large positive consensus for movies that normally get widespread approval in their genre. So I don't think it's a brand issue, so much as a director issue.

Plus fans of the film can take a deep breath for right now anyway. The movie is going to break allot of box office records this weekend because of the frontloaded marketing campaign and the curious who need to know what all the fuss is about. Maybe giving it rotten scores will bring in the curious? So all is not lost on this project. How it does in the coming weeks AFTER the hype has died down will speak to it's widespread acceptance or not.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Fri, 25 Mar  2016, 09:26
Man, I can't believe how strongly I disagree with the critics here. I saw the movie this afternoon, and it's either 8 or 9/10 for me. No joke. Affleck has also unseated Michael Keaton as my favourite Bruce Wayne and Batman. There's so much to discuss and I'm ready to fight my corner. It's sad that the film makers get saddled with a 33% Tomato Meter. It is simply absurd.

That's encouraging to know, I'm pretty sure of all members here you would be the first to rip it to shreds, mercilessly, if it deserved it. Still some things sound very stupid on paper (like in the article BatmAngelus shared above) but seeing it play out is different than reading. I hope your analysis is finished soon.

It occurred to me this morning that MoS is Batman Beguns and BvS is Nolan's TDK with a sprinkling of Rises. Same story beats, same characters (with Cavill and Affleck adding up to Bale's internal moral struggle)

I got out last night, and man, I cannot tell you how much I disagree with the majority of critics. I absolutely loved this movie. LOVED! Sure, the movie wasn't perfect, but I haven't gotten a single perfect CBM yet. If I had to give it a score, an easy 9/10 for me.

I don't get the negative reactions to this. I really don't.

Watched this last night, and I agree. I don't see where all the negativity is coming from. It has it's issues, but overall it's a solid movie, and speaking as a comic book fan, there's stuff in this that I've been waiting to see for 20 years, and it delivered. Some reviews just kinda seem like they are out to get this movie from the get go. Like actually being grossly incorrect in their review. I recall one review actually stating Wonder Woman shows up out of no where to battle Doomsday. Uh ... no. Quite the contrary, sport.  ::)

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

I agree (mostly) with the critics for once.  I went into the movie with average to low expectations, and deep down I was hoping it would be good. I wasn't overly impressed with Man Of Steel, but that's another topic. This movie started off clunky and never recovered. For those of you that don't read the comics, much of the script was taken from two major DC Comics storylines (DK Returns and another which I can't name or it'll spoil the film's ending)... and it is a bastardization of those two stories which made this film an overstuffed-butt of a Thanksgiving turkey. Several times I asked myself, okay where's the plot, what's going on right now? Sadly, I think Jeremy Irons was miscast as Alfred also. Great actor, I just think he didn't fit here. And don't even get me started on Lex Luthor. I could rant about him for six more paragraphs. What were the bright spots? Well, Affleck's Bruce Wayne was solid. He's no Michael Keaton, and I will always prefer a more tortured Wayne. Keaton had something behind his eyes that you felt onscreen, and no one has seemed to live up to that for me. But I'd go as far as saying I enjoyed Affleck more than Bale. Gal Gadot as the female lead was pretty fantastic (visually) but wasn't in the film long enough to make the impression I wanted her to make. To sum it up, the main focus of my disappointment is that the filmmakers have every reason to get these movies right, what with everything they have at their disposal. But to deliver what we got? Well, to me, that's not good enough. Then again, it's just a movie.  ;)

Quote from: Nycteris on Fri, 25 Mar  2016, 12:31
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Fri, 25 Mar  2016, 09:26

That's encouraging to know, I'm pretty sure of all members here you would be the first to rip it to shreds, mercilessly, if it deserved it. Still some things sound very stupid on paper (like in the article BatmAngelus shared above) but seeing it play out is different than reading. I hope your analysis is finished soon.
You are right. If I didn't like it, I'd say.
Quote from: Travesty on Fri, 25 Mar  2016, 17:20
I got out last night, and man, I cannot tell you how much I disagree with the majority of critics. I absolutely loved this movie. LOVED! Sure, the movie wasn't perfect, but I haven't gotten a single perfect CBM yet. If I had to give it a score, an easy 9/10 for me.

I don't get the negative reactions to this. I really don't.
I completely agree. This is basically everything I wanted it to be. I've settled on 9/10 as well. The level of hate it is receiving is baffling to me. Anyway...glad we both enjoyed it. But hey, because we say we enjoyed it we must be forcing ourselves to like it or something, right?
Quote from: The Joker on Fri, 25 Mar  2016, 18:02

Watched this last night, and I agree. I don't see where all the negativity is coming from. It has it's issues, but overall it's a solid movie, and speaking as a comic book fan, there's stuff in this that I've been waiting to see for 20 years, and it delivered. Some reviews just kinda seem like they are out to get this movie from the get go. Like actually being grossly incorrect in their review. I recall one review actually stating Wonder Woman shows up out of no where to battle Doomsday. Uh ... no. Quite the contrary, sport.  ::)
Yep. It seems a section of critics wanted this movie to 'suck' and went in with that mindset, personally. Which is really disappointing. Because it deserves a lot higher score tha what it is getting. I feel sad about the film only because Affleck and Snyder will probably think they failed, and let down the fans. When the complete opposite is true for me.

Quote from: KeatonisBatman on Fri, 25 Mar  2016, 20:20
For those of you that don't read the comics, much of the script was taken from two major DC Comics storylines (DK Returns and another which I can't name or it'll spoil the film's ending)

Dude, this is the spoilers thread. It even says it in the title in all caps lol.

I'll talk about more stuff later but that ending hit me hard. Reading about the death of Superman in a comic is one thing. Seeing it play out in live action, especially since I'm a fan of Henry's Supes, that was tough. Poor Lois. Amy's acting as she begged him not to go and then grieving over his body was perfect. It ripped my heart out. So did Bruce's line that he had failed Clark in life, but he wouldn't in death.

I mentioned it (without being specific) in the other thread but I cried as Bruce realized Clark's humanity when he said he had to "save Martha." It was a beautiful moment. I loved him telling Supes to go to the ship and promising to save his mom. Then he does and the line "I'm a friend of your son's" (which her "I figured" made me giggle lol), it was like a redemption of Bruce's soul. He saw that good was still left and Clark was a shining example. That doesn't mean he was going to treat the bad guys any nicer though. ;)

The very very ending was so awesome, both because of the heartbeat and dirt and those implications and because of the dude two rows in front of me in his Superman PJs jumping up all excited lol.

Supes had a hard time in this film, but I think that worked. People simply don't value the heroes they have, and are always sceptical or jealous. Superman is basically how I feel at times. Not appreciated at work, and spoken to like a dog. People only see one facet of your personality there. They don't know who you truly are, and what amazing things you are capable of. Superman, while having super powers, is at heart a grassroots hero with a humble childhood grounding his belief system. Even though he's treated badly, he's more likely to take everything to heart and feel bad. But despite all this....he still puts his life on the line to save humanity.

Now that's a hero. The ending hurt, but I now love Superman more than ever.