Darren Aronofsky in the running to helm The Batman...again?

Started by Paul (ral), Wed, 30 Jan 2013, 14:18

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Sun, 31 Mar  2013, 04:00Honestly I'm beginning to think that WB are a curse on DC Comics. It makes me wonder what could happen if DC were more independent and had their own movie studio like Marvel does.
You mean like DC Entertainment?

^
I forgot all about DC Entertainment. Though I'm yet to be convinced that they have any plans of producing any successful (and watchable) movies.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Sun, 31 Mar  2013, 04:56^
I forgot all about DC Entertainment. Though I'm yet to be convinced that they have any plans of producing any successful (and watchable) movies.
When they started up, Green Lantern was already in some level or another of production. Apart from that, TDKRises was only ever going to be Nolan's baby from beginning to end. So Man of Steel will be DCE's first completely executive produced film. It should be some indicator of the direction they'll be going in. It takes time to for a huge media corporation like WB to change course but that doesn't mean it isn't happening.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Sun, 31 Mar  2013, 05:07
Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Sun, 31 Mar  2013, 04:56^
When they started up, Green Lantern was already in some level or another of production. Apart from that, TDKRises was only ever going to be Nolan's baby from beginning to end. So Man of Steel will be DCE's first completely executive produced film. It should be some indicator of the direction they'll be going in. It takes time to for a huge media corporation like WB to change course but that doesn't mean it isn't happening.

We'll see, but in all honesty I'm not getting my hopes up, especially in Man of Steel. Call me a pessimist, but I'm not particularly fond of the filmmakers behind the upcoming Superman, and from what I've seen and heard so far it's another retread of the origin story. People talk about how redundant it is if the next future Batman film focuses on the origin story, but all the Batman movies had different types of back-stories, and all of them totally differed from the comics. (Joker being responsible for killing Bruce's parents, Bruce being trained by Ra's Al Ghul and getting equipment from Lucius Fox). But going back to Superman's origin story feels a lot more worn out, because we've already had the 1978 film, Smallville, Lois & Clark, and the cartoons for that, regardless if they were different to the comics or not. I'll still see Man of Steel some time in the future, but if it's too melodramatic and not enough imagination I'll be bored.

QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Sun, 31 Mar  2013, 05:24People talk about how redundant it is if the next future Batman film focuses on the origin story, but all the Batman movies had different types of back-stories, and all of them totally differed from the comics. (Joker being responsible for killing Bruce's parents, Bruce being trained by Ra's Al Ghul and getting equipment from Lucius Fox).
Given that we've had an iconic Batman origin story recently told, the argument has merit.

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Sun, 31 Mar  2013, 05:24But going back to Superman's origin story feels a lot more worn out, because we've already had the 1978 film, Smallville,
Which most people under the age of 30 probably haven't seen.

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Sun, 31 Mar  2013, 05:24Lois & Clark,
Which most people don't remember and which didn't really have an A to Z origin anyway.

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Sun, 31 Mar  2013, 05:24and the cartoons for that,
Which most people over the age of 30 and under the age of 20 probably haven't seen.

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Sun, 31 Mar  2013, 05:24regardless if they were different to the comics or not. I'll still see Man of Steel some time in the future, but if it's too melodramatic and not enough imagination I'll be bored.
I think it's beyond dispute that audiences become invested in a character when they're exposed to his origin. It's unnecessary in Batman's case because there's already one out there which audiences embraced but Superman hasn't had a cohesive presentation of his origin for wide audiences since 1978. Doing an origin isn't redundant in his case.

The core fans may have been origined to death over the past few years when it comes to Superman (all the examples you cite plus Smallville, Birthright, Sucky Origin, Earth One and The New 52) but Superman and his mythos have long fallen out of the popular lexicon. MOS is a golden opportunity (A) to reinstate his origin and (B) do so in a way that isn't yet another GD repeat of Donner's origin. It's time.

^ I don't know, maybe you have a point about most people with a passing interest in Superman being eager to see the next film. Maybe in my case I have seen too much of the back-story in different versions, and I'm burnt out of another one because of it. :-X

I think if Darren Aronofsky were truly put in the director's chair, we'd get a Batman film that is very dry. He would get too attached to Bruce Wayne's psychological health and turn the film into a dark, droll picture about a guy who spends his life mourning his family instead of avenging them.

And then, at the end of the movie, he finally becomes Batman and roll credits.

I've never been a huge fan of Aronofsky's, and was disappointed when he was rumored to be directing Batman: Intimidation Game in 2004. People might disagree with me, but I just can't see him putting out a GOOD Batman film.

Quote from: Ranyos on Fri,  5 Apr  2013, 02:01
I think if Darren Aronofsky were truly put in the director's chair, we'd get a Batman film that is very dry. He would get too attached to Bruce Wayne's psychological health and turn the film into a dark, droll picture about a guy who spends his life mourning his family instead of avenging them.

Ahhh, so like Nolan's Batman?

Quote from: Travesty on Fri,  5 Apr  2013, 18:15
Quote from: Ranyos on Fri,  5 Apr  2013, 02:01

Ahhh, so like Nolan's Batman?
I've read some people in other forums saying that Aronofsky would approach Batman like Robert De Niro's character in Taxi Driver. In that case, I say no thanks. If I want to watch a disturbed man at odds with himself like that, I'd actually prefer to watch Taxi Driver. I've always envisioned as Batman as the uncompromising, dedicated crime fighter who believes he needs to be smarter and tougher than his enemies. That's something that I don't think we've had seen in a live action Batman film in a while now.  :-[

Yeah, the mere mention of "Aronofsky" makes one think of a hardcore, gritty, realistic take on Batman that will make even Nolan's look fanciful like Burton's in contrast. I wouldn't like that.