Son of Batman (2014)

Started by Silver Nemesis, Tue, 21 Jan 2014, 14:49

Previous topic - Next topic
Here's the trailer for the upcoming animated movie based on Grant Morrison's Batman and Son.

Jason O'Mara is voicing Batman in both this and the soon to be released Justice League: War. And Illya Kuryakin himself, David McCallum, will be reprising his role as Alfred from Batman: Gotham Knight (2008).

I'm resigned to the fact that all these DC animated films are going to be focused on Batman and Superman from now on. I understand the logic of this from a sales perspective, but I do wish they could vary their output and give us some films starring other DC heroes. Particularly since those characters are unlikely to get live action movies any time soon.

Not really interested in this concept. Feels like a cheap gimmick. Robin effectively serves the son role already.

Damian was more than a cheap gimmick. He was an interesting character in his own right and gave a new dynamic to the Bat-family.

He isn't the first Robin to die. So that's just repetition of a previous Batman event. So therefore I don't see Damian as a human being - yes, I know he's not real, but merely as a recycled plot device.

Thu, 23 Jan 2014, 21:40 #4 Last Edit: Thu, 23 Jan 2014, 21:42 by Silver Nemesis
Damian had quite an interesting story arc in the comics, starting off as a coldblooded killer but gradually maturing into a responsible hero – basically the complete opposite of what happened with the Post-Crisis Jason Todd. Several future projections, such as those in 'Batman in Bethlehem' (Batman #666, July 2007) and the Batman: The Brave and the Bold episode 'The Knights of Tomorrow!', have depicted Damian as succeeding both Bruce and Dick as the Batman of the future. In that sense, his character arc follows a fairly unique trajectory that distinguishes him from the other Robins.

He also had an interesting relationship with Dick Grayson that mirrored Dick's own apprenticeship under Bruce's guidance. Dick was able to mentor Damian in much the same way as Damian's father had mentored him. And that allowed us to see a more mature, pedagogic side to Dick's character that we hadn't seen before.

I suspect they may be introducing Damian in this film as a prelude to further adaptations of stories in which he features prominently: Batman R.I.P./Battle for the Cowl/The Return of Bruce Wayne, Batman, Inc., The Court of Owls, Death of the Family, etc.

To an extent I agree that his death was a gimmick, as are most deaths in comic books. But I think there's more to him as a character than just his death storyline. Hopefully this film will demonstrate that.

Full preview:

That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

I saw this movie over the weekend. Although I was entertained while watching it, I can't help but feel that the quality of DC's animated movies is getting worse. I really didn't like The Flashpoint Paradox, and I thought that JL War was okay for a one time watch. I feel Son of Batman is only worthy for a one time watch too.

Although I'm glad that these DC films are beginning to maintain continuity with each other, since JL War and Son of Batman are both in the same continuity. But I can't help but wish that they did this for Under the Red Hood instead. Then again, given that they want to promote the New 52 comics, I guess that's why DC wanted to begin a shared animated universe with these two films.
**Mild Spoilers**

The plot of the movie is mostly this: shortly after Ra's al Ghul was killed during Deathstroke's attack against the League of Assassins, Talia decides to tell Bruce that he has a son named Damian, and gives him custody so she can go after Deathstroke personally. Damian seeks revenge against Deathstroke for killing Ra's and doesn't see eye to eye with Bruce, but Bruce later takes him under his wing as the new Robin.

**End of Mild Spoilers**

Like I said, I was entertained while watching this, but it has its problems. I haven't read any of the comics involving Damian Wayne, but if he's anything like he was in this movie then I guess that's kind of why I found him annoying. A kid who was trained since childbirth, he talked and behaved like he was at least twenty years older than he actually was. I'm not exactly fond seeing a kid killing people and getting seriously hurt in a fight either. Again, I haven't read the comics that featured Damian and in this movie they had just met each other for the first time, but the relationship between him and Batman isn't even remotely anything like father and son.

That being said, I thought the guy who voiced Batman was good. He's no Kevin Conroy, but it's respectable. I thought whoever voiced Alfred sounded almost the same as the one from BTAS, but they're two different actors apparently. The story isn't the worst, but I do feel they could've been executed better. I got to say that these films are becoming more and more violent - this film had almost twice the amount of blood that The Flashpoint Paradox had. Probably even more.

All in all, okay for a one time watch as a turn-off-your-brain popcorn movie like JL War, but I wouldn't see it again. Definitely not as good as Under the Red Hood and The Dark Knight Returns animated films, and even the Year One adaptation was better than this.

Best part of the film was when Alfred was applying first aid to Nightwing after he fought Damian:

Damian: Maybe you need more anesthetic.

Nightwing: Maybe you need to go f-

Alfred: Master Dick!
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei