Lois and Clark – 20th Anniversary

Started by Silver Nemesis, Thu, 12 Sep 2013, 16:38

Previous topic - Next topic
Earlier this week several sites published articles to commemorate the 20th anniversary of the X-Files. Being a huge X-Phile since I was nine years old, I made sure to rewatch the pilot episode as a way of marking the occasion. But this week also sees another somewhat less celebrated show reach the big 2-0. The pilot episode of Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman was first broadcast in the US on September 12th 1993, exactly 20 years ago today. And since some of our site members are fans of the show, I thought the occasion might as well have its own thread. So congratulations to L&C and to all the talented people who contributed to it throughout its four season run.

That's a great piece of artwork Silver Nemesis.

I was certainly a fan of this show when it used to screen on the BBC during Saturday tea-time circa the mid-1990s.  The effects were admittedly cheap but it was an appealing show that never descended into full-on camp but unlike the current crop of WB comic-book TV shows it never too it self too seriously either.  I don't know if Dean Cain and Teri Hatcher would ever be my ideal vision of Superman/Clark Kent and Lois Lane but they had great chemistry, Hatcher was gorgeous and I can imagine other people feeling the same way Cain, who was charming and sweet in the main role.  Also, I still maintain that John Shea is the most formidable adult version of Lex Luthor yet portrayed in live-action.  He was all the more deadly because he was so charming and credible as a charismatic, powerful businessman who had Metropolis under his thrall.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Thu, 12 Sep  2013, 16:54

I was certainly a fan of this show when it used to screen on the BBC during Saturday tea-time circa the mid-1990s.  The effects were admittedly cheap but it was an appealing show that never descended into full-on camp but unlike the current crop of WB comic-book TV shows it never too it self too seriously either.  I don't know if Dean Cain and Teri Hatcher would ever be my ideal vision of Superman/Clark Kent and Lois Lane but they had great chemistry, Hatcher was gorgeous and I can imagine other people feeling the same way Cain, who was charming and sweet in the main role.  Also, I still maintain that John Shea is the most formidable adult version of Lex Luthor yet portrayed in live-action.  He was all the more deadly because he was so charming and credible as a charismatic, powerful businessman who had Metropolis under his thrall.

i agree with just about all of this. one question, when is tea time? lol.

Quote from: Catwoman on Fri, 13 Sep  2013, 08:07

;D  You don't have 'tea time' in the US Catwoman?  I guess it's roughly 5pm to 7pm.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Fri, 13 Sep  2013, 19:05
Quote from: Catwoman on Fri, 13 Sep  2013, 08:07

;D  You don't have 'tea time' in the US Catwoman?  I guess it's roughly 5pm to 7pm.

oh that's when we eat supper lol

Very good show. I always felt like the show in general but seasons 2-4 in particular could take place in the same universe as Batman Forever and the 1990 Flash show.

It's hard to appreciate now but L&C did the seemingly impossible by using a more updated characterization for Superman in a time and place when "Christopher Reeve" was a phrase inseparably synonymous with the character. The entire time Dean Cain played the role, I never missed Reeve. Kidder was always easily replaced in my opinion but even by that standard Hatcher was still awesome. She could get a little over the top sometimes but if you view that as a bad thing, it's more to do with the style of the show than Hatcher as a performer.

With Donner's verisimilitude so prevalent in most peoples' minds, it took serious balls to conceptualize this as a romantic comedy with action bits thrown in. L&C took a lot of risks and chances in its time. It's been burned in effigy by people who (A) don't get it and (B) mostly don't even like Superman anyway. And that's a shame too considering how ridiculously well written the characters were.

As for me, I'll always appreciate how L&C was the first attempt to move beyond Christopher Reeve. I love Reeve and whatnot but there's more to Superman than just one version of the character. It's taken some fans even longer to accept that but it looks like they're coming around.

Love or hate the show, surely you can acknowledge how fun the first season is, right?

I have a lot of time for Dean Cain's version of Clark Kent. He's a smooth operator. He's probably my favourite Clark of the lot to be honest.  I haven't seen the show in a long time, but I'm sure I'd feel the same way about his performance.

Reeve's version is perfectly legitimate, and it's good for what it is. I get that's part of his disguise, but I prefer my Clark not to be putting himself down like that all the time. I feel the bumbling klutz thing can go overboard. With Dean Cain and Terri Hatcher you had buckets of charm, and for me that goes a long way.

Tue, 12 Sep 2023, 13:11 #7 Last Edit: Tue, 12 Sep 2023, 13:18 by Silver Nemesis
Today marks the 30th anniversary of Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman. The show made it's US debut on September 12th 1993.

It didn't premiere in the UK until January 8th 1994. I vividly remember watching that first broadcast. It was a Saturday night and my mum told me there was a new Superman film on TV. I didn't realise it was a series. I just thought it was a one-off film, like the Reeve movies. To adult eyes the special effects are clearly nineties TV quality, but to my eight-year-old eyes they were just as good as the effects in the feature films. Then as the end credits rolled the announcer said there'd be another adventure with Superman at the same time the following week. I turned to my mum and said, 'It's going to be on every week?!' That was when I realised it was a series, and from thereon out I was hooked.

Much as I love Superman: The Movie, I think over time L&C has become my favourite screen version of Superman. It's one of the most re-watchable shows ever made, and I never get tired of it. It still makes me laugh, the emotional moments still move me, and I love the cosy nineties atmosphere and perfect blend of humour and drama. The L&C interpretations of classic comic book characters are, in their own way, just as idiosyncratic as those of the Burtonverse and Nolanverse. The only other comic book adaptation I can think of that comes close to the tone of L&C, with its warm romantic charm and supporting cast of eccentric characters, would be the Raimi Spider-Man trilogy, and in particular Spider-Man 2.

I've compiled a list of my top five favourite episodes from each season. I'm going to cheat a bit here and list multi-episode arcs as single episodes. I'm not claiming these are the best stories, just that they're some of my favourites. Here's the list, presented in broadcast order.

SEASON ONE

'Pilot'

The show hits the ground running with a superb feature-length episode that sets up all the major story arcs for the first season. Re-watching it now, it's impressive how every character is recognisable and well defined from the get go. Each actor inhabits their role with confidence from the moment they first appear on screen, and the sharp writing is equally on form. A great start to the series.

'The Green, Green Glow of Home'

The first Kryptonite episode. Superman only appears in costume in the cold open, but it doesn't matter. This is a great Smallville episode and contains some of the best scenes with Martha and Jonathan. Lois sees a different side to Clark and realises she's been underestimating him until now. The final fight scene between Clark and Trask is one of the best in the series.

'All Shook Up'

The plot of this episode had previously been used in the comics and the George Reeves series, but it's an interesting story that's worth retelling. The Earth's about to be destroyed and only Superman can save it. Unfortunately Clark has amnesia and doesn't remember that he's Superman. The apocalyptic scenario forces the characters to re-evaluate their priorities, which spurs some progression in the Lois and Clark romance.

'The Foundling'

This episode depicts the tale of Krypton's destruction. There are some funny villainous moments between Lex and Nigel, and David Warner makes a guest appearance as Jor-El. It's an important episode in Clark's personal journey of discovery, where he first learns about his Kryptonian heritage and starts coming to terms with his extraterrestrial identity.

'Barbarians at the Planet'/'The House of Luthor'

There are so many great moments in this two-parter: Lois rejecting Clark and then telling Superman that she'd love him even if he was an ordinary man; Lois accepting Luthor's wedding proposal and Superman's reaction (one of my favourite Superman moments ever); Lex's evil VR fantasy featuring Superman's grave; Luthor finally defeating Superman and gloating over him in the kryptonite cage; the heartfelt conversation between Lois and Clark in the final scene. Funny, thrilling and touching, these two episodes exemplify everything that made this series so appealing. I also dig the little throwbacks to the 'Pilot', like the spinning newspapers and the National Whisper headline. My only criticism is that it would've been nice to have seen Cat's storyline receive closure, but other than that it's a great ending to a great season. Also James Earl Jones guest stars.

SEASON TWO

'Season's Greedings'

I rate this as the best of the L&C Christmas episodes, and the best of the episodes written by Dean Cain. It offers a very nineties take on the comic villain Toyman and ends on a charmingly festive note. Is it sentimental? Sure. But it's a Christmas episode, so a little sentimentality is welcome.

'Chi of Steel'

Superman and martial arts. That's reason enough for it to make the list. But 'Chi of Steel' also boasts a funny script that explores gender roles in a light-hearted and playful manner. Writer Hilary Bader went on to pen scripts for several other DC TV shows and comics, but her association with the franchise started here.

'The Phoenix'

This dark episode features my favourite live action depiction of Lex Luthor. Stripped of his wealth and social status, Shea's Lex is reduced to a ruthless sewer-dwelling outlaw thirsting for revenge. I like how the kryptonite subplot connects it with the earlier 'Metallo' episode. Probably the best Lex episode outside of season one.

'Tempus Fugitive'

This might be the single best episode of the entire series. We get to see Lois reacting to the revelation that Clark is Superman, and we get to hear Clark trying to explain the meaning behind his dual identities: 'Superman is what I can do. Clark is who I am.' This episode also introduces Lane Davies as Tempus, who ranks alongside John Shea's Lex Luthor as the show's best recurring villain. I love the scene towards the end where Superman recreates the shooting star that leads his mum and dad to find him as a baby. I always found that moment very moving. Granted, the time travel stuff doesn't make much sense – how does a time machine also travel through space (is it a TARDIS?), and why do Lois and Clark lose their memories just because they're returned slightly earlier in their own time? But I can overlook all that because the story works on an emotional and dramatic level. It's a 5/5 for me.

'And the Answer Is...'

A villain discovers that Clark is Superman and blackmails him into committing crimes for him. That premise alone makes this a compelling episode, but it also contains several significant events that change the trajectory of the series. Firstly, Lois figures out that Clark is Superman. She doesn't confront him about it until the following episode, but she works it out in this one. This episode also ends with the fan favourite scene where Clark finally proposes to Lois. That cliffhanger drove fans crazy back in the nineties. Another strong finale for another strong season.

SEASON THREE

'Ordinary People'

The premise of this episode sees Lois and Clark trying to survive on a tropical island while Clark has promised not to use his powers. It's fun seeing them out of their element, with Superman taking a break from saving the day. One of the reasons I like this episode is the ridiculous villain, Spencer Spencer, who ranks as one of the funniest and most over-the-top bad guys to appear on the show.

'Ultra Woman'

This is my favourite red kryptonite episode. Superman's powers are transferred to Lois, forcing Clark to take a backseat while Lois becomes costumed crime fighter Ultra Woman. It's amusing to watch their usual roles reversed, with Lois having to save Clark as he adapts to life as an ordinary human.

'Never on Sunday'

L&C never did Halloween episodes, but they did occasionally delve into spookier horror-themed storylines such as 'When Irish Eyes Are Killing' and 'Ghosts'. The best of these horror-themed episodes IMHO is 'Never on Sunday'. The L&C version of Baron Sunday is one of the more serious villains to appear on the show, and I find him far more memorable and intimidating than the comic book character on whom he's based. It's a shame they never brought him back in later episodes.

'Tempus, Anyone?'

The first episode to explore the multiverse, this one sees Lois travelling into an alternate reality in which Clark never met her, lost Jonathan and Martha at a young age and never became Superman. Lois has to help this alternate Clark actualise his potential and become the Man of Steel his Earth so desperately needs. Another classic Tempus episode.

'Big Girls Don't Fly'

The Who's Roger Daltrey guest stars as a shape-shifting alien assassin sent to kill Superman by Lord Nor, the L&C version of General Zod. This episode ends the season on a sombre cliffhanger where Superman has to leave Earth to travel to New Krypton. Lois is heartbroken, as are all of Clark's family and friends, and humanity is forced to confront the prospect of a future without Superman. A downbeat finale that sets things in place for the excellent two-part season four premiere.

SEASON FOUR

'Lord of the Flys'/'Battleground Earth'

This two-parter is basically the L&C version of Superman II or Man of Steel. Kryptonians invade Earth and Superman has to battle Nor/Zod to liberate the planet. The nineties was a great decade for TV sci-fi, and these two episodes constitute L&C's most 'out of this world' storyline, with much of the action literally occurring in space. We get to see plenty of futuristic sets and costumes that wouldn't have looked out of place in Babylon 5 or Deep Space Nine. I wish we'd gotten more space opera stories in season four, but I expect budgetary limitations prevented that. These two episodes comprise one of the most cinematic L&C storylines, and they offer a satisfying conclusion to the New Krypton/Lord Nor arc.

'Soul Mates'

The premise of this episode is ridiculous – Lois and Clark have to Quantum Leap back into earlier incarnations of themselves in order to break a curse so they can consummate their marriage. It's absurd, but I enjoy it nonetheless. We get to see familiar characters re-imagined in different historical contexts (rather like an Elseworlds book): firstly in a swashbuckling medieval European fantasy, then in a Lone Ranger-style western. It's pure fairytale romance. Silly, but fun. Plus Tempus makes an appearance.

'Twas the Night Before Myxmas'

Season four's Christmas episode features the only appearance of the L&C Mr. Mxyzptlk, played by Howie Mandel. Mxyzptlk traps Superman in a time loop where he has to live the same Christmas Eve over and over, only each time things get worse and the prevailing attitude of despair deepens. There are obvious shades of It's a Wonderful Life and Groundhog Day on display here. Another classic Christmas episode.

'Meet John Doe'/'Lois and Clarks'

This is the final Tempus storyline. After Tempus traps Superman in the L&C equivalent of the Phantom Zone, H. G. Wells brings the other Superman (the one from 'Tempus, Anyone?') into our reality to cover for his absence. There's plenty of political satire, and I like how these episodes continue the storyline about the Superman from the parallel universe.

'Faster Than a Speeding Vixen'/'Shadow of a Doubt'/'Voice from the Past'

The only three-parter to make my list, this was the last big storyline of the series prior to its cancellation. The trilogy centres around Lex Luthor Junior and is a continuation of the House of Luthor saga that seemingly ended with the death of Lex. John Shea returns, but only in vocal form, and we get to see Superman go up against two superpowered henchmen: an Amazonian robot named Vixen, and an assassin loosely based on the comic villain Shadow Thief. Like the rest of season four, this trilogy has its share of flaws. But it's decent overall.

So those are my top five episodes from each season. What are everyone else's favourite episodes?

Wed, 13 Sep 2023, 01:57 #8 Last Edit: Wed, 13 Sep 2023, 14:47 by thecolorsblend
I'm going to try keeping this short. But that's not easy to do when it comes to L&C. It's a big subject for me.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Tue, 12 Sep  2023, 13:11Today marks the 30th anniversary of Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman. The show made it's US debut on September 12th 1993.
And I was there! It was a huge deal for me. In fact, it was a vivid time overall. I was just starting middle school and it felt like the sky was the limit. But I'll skip the personal stuff. Point is that was a GREAT time for me.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Tue, 12 Sep  2023, 13:11Much as I love Superman: The Movie, I think over time L&C has become my favourite screen version of Superman.
For me, it's Smallville. In fact, at some point, Smallville began eclipsing Superman in a general sense. Nothing is perfect, of course. Any show that goes ten seasons will have flaws. But still, I'm a Smallville man.

But back to L&C...

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Tue, 12 Sep  2023, 13:11It's one of the most re-watchable shows ever made, and I never get tired of it.
Agreed. And same. When all the seasons came out on DVD, I think I had them on a constant rotation. Start with season 01 and work my way all the way through season 04, repeat. Another vivid time right there.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Tue, 12 Sep  2023, 13:11
SEASON ONE

'Pilot'

The show hits the ground running with a superb feature-length episode that sets up all the major story arcs for the first season. Re-watching it now, it's impressive how every character is recognisable and well defined from the get go. Each actor inhabits their role with confidence from the moment they first appear on screen, and the sharp writing is equally on form. A great start to the series.
This is on my list too. This was an amazingly well written show from the beginning. The characters are absolutely rock solid. Jimmy has a sort of sketchy background. That was true in the pilot and remained an ongoing element through the series. Ditto Perry's southern heritage and love for Elvis. Ditto Lois as an intuitive thinker who doesn't like dessert (she declines it with Lex in the pilot and only reluctantly accepts it with Clark in The Phoenix). She follows her gut in spite of what the evidence says. Ditto Clark as a rationalistic dreamer. He follows the evidence in spite of what his personal feelings might say. Ditto Lex as a complete hedonistic psychopath. Etc etc etc, the list just goes. As far as I can remember, the show never contradicted established characterizations that were set forth in the pilot.

Also, this was the highest production value Superman had gotten in live action in a long time. I always tell people who are curious what a live action Superman film from the early Nineties could've looked that they should watch the pilot. Deborah Joy-Levine was ordered by ABC to write an expensive pilot and by golly she wrote an expensive pilot. The leisurely production time afforded to a feature-length pilot plus a lavish budget all work together to make L&C's pilot the best production value Superman had received in live action since Superman III, ten years earlier.

Obviously, the main series can't compete with the pilot's production quality. But still, they get an A for effort in the pilot for sure.

'The Green, Green Glow of Home'

The first Kryptonite episode. Superman only appears in costume in the cold open, but it doesn't matter. This is a great Smallville episode and contains some of the best scenes with Martha and Jonathan. Lois sees a different side to Clark and realises she's been underestimating him until now. The final fight scene between Clark and Trask is one of the best in the series.
I'll just say it. This could very well be my favorite episode of the entire series. I love how Jonathan and esp Martha INSTANTLY see Clark's future with Lois.

In fact, I think this is the first time the show directly compares Martha to Lois and Jonathan to Clark. The Jonathan/Martha characterizations aren't miles apart from Clark/Lois. When Lois begins treating Martha like her other mother, it's earned.

As to everything else, the set designers do their damnedest to make that Metropolis backlot look like Smallville. It's not always convincing. But what other choice was there? It works well enough.

Plus, let's face it, the show would eventually come to rely too much on disposable one-and-done villains. Bringing Trask back was a logical thing to do. And recurring villains (beyond Lex and Tempus) is something the show should've done more often.

Here's where I'll insert one of my own.

"Honeymoon in Metropolis"

After watching "Strange Visitor" for the first time, I thought it was a missed opportunity that the episode began with Lois and Clark going "into hiding". I liked the idea of the two of them being pushed into an enforced intimacy for work purposes.

There's an argument (a very good one, in fact) that "Strange Visitor" was just plain too early in the show's run for something like that. Fair enough.

But I guess someone involved with the production had the same thought as me. Because "Honeymoon in Metropolis" (largely) delivers on that premise. After "The Green, Green Glow Of Home", I would say that "Honeymoon in Metropolis" makes it believable that Lois and Clark would initially be uncomfortable being in such close proximity to each other... but then, gradually, the ice would thaw.

It's a fun episode in general. But it's also good for character. Lois checks into a luxury hotel and her first thought is to call Clark. When she's alone in the hotel room, she sleeps in her pajamas. But when she shares the hotel room with Clark, she sleeps naked (or close to it). Freud would have a field day with that, I think.

And obviously, this general idea would get briefly revisited in The Phoenix. Very different circumstances, of course. But still, similar idea.

I'm a huge fan of "Honeymoon in Metropolis".

'All Shook Up'

The plot of this episode had previously been used in the comics and the George Reeves series, but it's an interesting story that's worth retelling. The Earth's about to be destroyed and only Superman can save it. Unfortunately Clark has amnesia and doesn't remember that he's Superman. The apocalyptic scenario forces the characters to re-evaluate their priorities, which spurs some progression in the Lois and Clark romance.
Armageddon before there ever was such a thing.

I've floated my conspiracy theory in the past that at some point, L&C's Perry eventually figured out that Clark is Superman. And this episode is a strong contender for when it could've happened. Perry is smart, he's more experienced than Jimmy and he's not blinded by emotion (or something) like Lois. There's no way in hell that Perry from the L&C universe didn't know that Clark is Superman. Other versions, who knows? But this one, no doubt about it, he KNEW.

I enjoy this episode. And yet, the absence of Elizabeth Barondes as Lucy Lane is deeply felt. As I've said, after Barondes's departure, Lois had to stand on her more often than she should've... or realistically would've. I'm guessing this episode would've at least been on somebody's mind when this season was getting broken down. In late 1993, DLJ made reference to plans they had for the latter part to "explore Clark's Kryptonian history". And obviously, that happened in The Foundling.

So, if The Foundling was already on DLJ's mind in October/November 1993, surely All Shook Up would've been too. And methinks that Barondes would've played a big role in this episode. Alas, we'll never see it.

'The Foundling'

This episode depicts the tale of Krypton's destruction. There are some funny villainous moments between Lex and Nigel, and David Warner makes a guest appearance as Jor-El. It's an important episode in Clark's personal journey of discovery, where he first learns about his Kryptonian heritage and starts coming to terms with his extraterrestrial identity.
My other conspiracy theory is that Jack knew the truth too. I don't see how he could go through this whole episode without knowing, tbh. It's never directly stated in any episode. But he HAD to know.

As to Lara and Jor-El, I enjoyed how the show tried to split the difference between Donner's depiction of Krypton and John Byrne's depiction of it. It's definitely done on a TV budget. But it is clear that somebody invested a lot of thought into how to make this version of Jor-El and Lara reminiscent of Donner without being beholden to Donner.

'Barbarians at the Planet'/'The House of Luthor'

There are so many great moments in this two-parter: Lois rejecting Clark and then telling Superman that she'd love him even if he was an ordinary man; Lois accepting Luthor's wedding proposal and Superman's reaction (one of my favourite Superman moments ever); Lex's evil VR fantasy featuring Superman's grave; Luthor finally defeating Superman and gloating over him in the kryptonite cage; the heartfelt conversation between Lois and Clark in the final scene. Funny, thrilling and touching, these two episodes exemplify everything that made this series so appealing. I also dig the little throwbacks to the 'Pilot', like the spinning newspapers and the National Whisper headline. My only criticism is that it would've been nice to have seen Cat's storyline receive closure, but other than that it's a great ending to a great season. Also James Earl Jones guest stars.
I agree with all of this.

But I would add Fly Hard to form sort of a trilogy of episodes. FH ends with Clark warning Lois about Lex. BATP shows Lois essentially overruling his advice. THOL shows her suffering the consequences. Maybe "trilogy" isn't the word. Maybe BATP and THOL form a two-parter, with FH serving as sort of a prelude or something. I just think FH needs to be mentioned somehow in any discussion about BATP and THOL.

But with the sweet comes the bitter. Clark and Lex both profess their love for Lois while she professes her love for Superman in BATP. Lois claims to love Superman... then Lex... and then leaves the door open for Clark. I mean, I get it, love can be complicated sometimes. But geeze, make up your mind, lady!

But that's small potatoes. Kind of like you, I see the last three episodes as a "movie" or "feature" that serves as a companion/counterpoint to the pilot.

Maybe this is enough for the time being. I've already typed a lot more than I originally wanted to. But I'll revisit your post later on. There's plenty of gold in them thar hills to continue the discussion.

Wed, 13 Sep 2023, 10:51 #9 Last Edit: Wed, 13 Sep 2023, 12:46 by Silver Nemesis
Quote from: thecolorsblend on Wed, 13 Sep  2023, 01:57But I would add Fly Hard to form sort of a trilogy of episodes. FH ends with Clark warning Lois about Lex. BATP shows Lois essentially overruling his advice. THOL shows her suffering the consequences. Maybe "trilogy" isn't the word. Maybe BATP and THOL form a two-parter, with FH serving as sort of a prelude or something. I just think FH needs to be mentioned somehow in any discussion about BATP and THOL.

That's a good point. I should've listed them as a three-parter.

'Fly Hard' is a really good suspense thriller and another episode I vividly recall watching for the first time with my family when it originally aired. We were all on the edge of our seats.

It's an important episode in the Lois/Lex storyline. They bond more closely after going through a life-and-death situation together, and that sets up the more intimate relationship they have in the following two episodes, eventuating in their engagement. Would they have progressed to the engagement phase so quickly had they not gone through the events of FH together? I doubt it.

FH also establishes the animosity between Jack and Lex, which leads into the storyline about Luthor framing Jack for the bombing of the Daily Planet building in the following episode.

If Jack did know that Clark was Superman – and I'm leaning towards a yes on that – FH is clearly the episode where he figures it out. The final exchange between him and Clark after the crisis is over strongly hints at it. Then there's his line when Clark visits him in jail and he asks if there's any chance Clark could get Superman to bust him out. The way the question's framed suggests Jack is asking Clark directly to make the moral decision, and when Clark says no Jack accepts it as though Superman himself had responded.

I wish they'd included Jack in later seasons. I get that they already had the little brother character with Jimmy, and perhaps Jack was a little too similar. But I like how he became a semi-regular cast member in the latter part of season one, appearing in four of the last six episodes. His presence added to the family dynamic and gave Jimmy someone to hang out with that was nearer his own age. He was snarkier and moodier than Jimmy, and he would've benefitted from having a father figure like Perry to keep him on the straight and narrow. I'm not saying Jack should've become a series regular, but they could have had him and Cat show up occasionally in the later seasons, putting in appearances once every three or four episodes.