RIP Eli Wallach

Started by The Joker, Wed, 25 Jun 2014, 14:18

Previous topic - Next topic

Eli Wallach has passed away.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-28012230

His most notable appearances were in "The Godfather", "The Magnificent 7" and of course,  "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly" in between many others.

I will always remember him for his role as Tuco, as well as Mr. Freeze.

Rest In Peace

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Agreed.  Such a great screen presence.  Thanks for giving us so much joy onscreen for many generations. 

Rest In Peace Eli Wallach.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

His Mr Freeze totally bemused me as a kid because he was suddenly sporting a set of nifty new hair! And then he only went and got himself a bloody sea lion too! lol I recently rewatched Wallach's episode and I enjoy it so much more than the one with Otto Preminger. Although he does have the more iconic makeup job.

To those who have never had the pleasure of watching "The Magnificent Seven" I highly recommend you do so. Calvera, the villain Wallach portrays, is one of the best sixties movie villains in my opinion. Much more entertaining for me than his Tuco in "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly". He's a cruel villain yes but he has some of the most hilariously ironic lines ("Generosity... that was my first mistake!") than any Western bad guy. My favourite being the mean but totally hilarious comment on the poor Mexican villagers: "If God didn't want them sheared, he would not have made them sheep".

Then you have "The Godfather Part III". I will never understand why so many dislike that film. The quality of the trilogy never dropped for me. Watching Eli Wallach's performance in that as a slimy Mafioso is well worth the admission price if nothing else. Because of him and several other elements I will go so far as to say it's my favourite in Michael Corleone's entire story. His request for a henchmen to "do the donkey call" is unforgetable and bloody funny too. Even The Simpsons parodied it.