Batman: Revelation

Started by Catwoman, Sun, 2 Jun 2013, 07:15

Previous topic - Next topic
 ;D

thanks for the feedback boys :)

I'm really looking forward to the next chapter.  :)
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

so am i. lol. it will be done sooner or later. i have it in my head. just a matter of making the words pop out.

"Let's see if this damned thing still works," Gotham City Police Commissioner James Gordon said. "Hang on, Commish," Detective Harvey Bullock spoke up. "We don't need that outlaw on this case. Me and Montoya can handle it." "Bullock, nobody knows how the mind of one of these madmen works better than him. This is above us, beyond us. It isn't mob infighting. This is systematic extermination. The quicker we can find out the hows and whys, the quicker we can put an end to this."

"It's been five years!" the gruff detective protested further. "We don't even know if he's still alive or not." "Well," Gordon replied, "there's only one way we're going to find out." With that, the old commissioner flipped the power switch on the beacon that had long rested atop Gotham City Police Headquarters. Then he stepped back alongside Detective Bullock. A slight smile creased Gordon's face as the Batsignal shone in the sky once more. Bullock merely crossed his arms in disapproval.

For several minutes, they stood side-by-side, awaiting the arrival of Gotham's one-time savior. Bullock uncrossed his arms to check his watch. Then he grunted, shoved his hands in his pockets, and tapped his foot impatiently. After a few moments, he repeated the process. Gordon, meanwhile, simply stood in silence, unfazed by the drizzle of rain falling upon him or Bullock's incessant grumbling.

"Face it, Jim," Bullock finally said. "He ain't comin'." "Just give him a little longer," the commissioner replied. "Sorry," Bullock retorted, "but I ain't catching pneumonia waiting for a ghost to show up. I'm going back inside."

He then turned, just in time to see Batman's arrival.

Taken aback, Bullock instinctively stepped behind Gordon as the Dark Knight approached them. "Yes, Commissioner?" Batman asked in a low, gravelly tone. Gordon smiled. "We were starting to think you weren't coming, old friend," he said. "Car trouble," Batman replied. Gordon chuckled. "So, where's The Boy Wonder?" he asked. "Retired," was the gruff reply.

"Look, vigilante," Bullock interjected. "What do you know about all these gangsters getting bumped off lately." Batman cast a steely glare upon the rotund, unshaven cop, who returned the unfriendly gaze, and then turned back to the commisioner. "Is there anywhere we might speak alone," he asked cooly. "Oh no, Freak," Bullock spat angrilly. "Anything you need to say in front of the commisioner, you can say in front of me. I ain't playing these hush-hush games with you, you gruesome son of a-"

"Bullock!" Gordon snapped. "That's enough." He then motioned for Batman to follow him so they could converse without the grouchy detective for an audience. "Quite pleasant," the Dark Knight said once they were out of Bullock's earshot. Gordon chuckled once more. "Yeah, he won't be winning any man of the  year awards anytime soon," he replied. "He's a hell of a cop though. And you better get used to working with him, because he's going to be taking my job soon."

"Oh?" Batman inquired. Gordon nodded. "I'm 66-years-old," he said. "I'm a grandfather now, did you know that? Yep, my daughter, she had a little boy just before Christmas. I'm ready to bounce him on my knee while I still can. I'm ready to spend nights with the people I love instead of with thugs, scoundrels, and miscreants." The caped crusader remained silent, so Gordon continued. "I'd planned on retiring months ago, but then these mob murders started. I figured that that would be a decent last chapter of my book, so I decided to stay on until it was taken care of. What the hell, you know? I figured it was another civil war. After a month or so, we'd haul in what was left of them, I'd blow out the candles on the cake, and that'd be it."

He sighed and shook his head. "Then this dockyard thing happened, and we realized it wasn't quite so simple. That's why I called on you. Bullock didn't want me to. He has a bit of an ego, you know, and bringing you back would have meant admitting that he hadn't rid the city of the need for you after all. But I had to turn to you. It might have taken months, or even longer, with just my people on the case. I can't wait that long. I need to be able to close the book." To Batman's surprise, the old cop swallowed hard, as though he were trying to hold back tears. "You've saved my ass so many times," he continued with his voice now cracking. "I'm just asking you to do it one more time for me, and that'll be it. Just one more time. Then you won't have to worry about me anymore."

Batman stood silently for a moment, seemingly pondering the commisioner's request. "Maybe we can go out together," he whispered as he outstretched his hand. Gordon smiled as he clasped it. "Sounds like a plan," he said. Then he turned and led them back to Bullock, who had been eyeballing their conversation the entire time from alongside the Batsignal.

"Oh, finished already?" Bullock said, feigning disappointment. "I was just about to bring you some tea and cookies." "Enough, Bullock," Gordon replied, having returned to his normally stoic, no-nonsense self. He then reached into his coat and withdrew a yellow folder and passed it to Batman. "Surveillence photos from the dock. That last one might interest you." Heeding Gordon's words, Batman flipped to the final photo in the stack. It featured the masked man, just after he had killed Boss Martini, surveying his handiwork."Looks like we have a lone ranger on our hands," Gordon added.

"I'll run an analyisis of it," Batman replied, taking the photo and slipping it into his utility belt. He then turned and headed for the ledge from which he had arrived. "Hey!" Bullock shouted. "He can't just walk off with evidence like that!" "You want to stop him?" Gordon asked. "Be my guest. I need a cup of coffee." Bullock watched until the commisioner had disappeared back inside the headquarters, then turned to confront Batman.

He was nowhere in sight.

rave reviews. i'm flattered.

Not bad. Classic Bullock, BTW. Fun, easy read.  8)

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Great stuff Catwoman.  Keep it up please.  :)

thank you gobbsy.

i'm trying to find a balance between introductions and furthering the story along. i don't want the first 10 chapters to be "here's so and so, here's their story" so that's one thing that is taking a little more time than i would like. i want to introduce everyone that is a major player and give backstory and stuff but not at the sacrifice of moving along the plot. like for instance selina kyle (yes, spoiler alert, she appears. you're all shocked, i know) comes up in the next chapter or so and i want to kind of touch on where she's been since she made a crispy critter out of max and the things she's gone through physically and mentally without stalling the story out. i know i can flesh it out further later but i want to make sure you all know how i'm approaching her right from the start.

make sense or am i just blabbing?  :-\

Quote from: Catwoman on Sun, 16 Jun  2013, 03:31
thank you gobbsy.

i'm trying to find a balance between introductions and furthering the story along. i don't want the first 10 chapters to be "here's so and so, here's their story" so that's one thing that is taking a little more time than i would like. i want to introduce everyone that is a major player and give backstory and stuff but not at the sacrifice of moving along the plot. like for instance selina kyle (yes, spoiler alert, she appears. you're all shocked, i know) comes up in the next chapter or so and i want to kind of touch on where she's been since she made a crispy critter out of max and the things she's gone through physically and mentally without stalling the story out. i know i can flesh it out further later but i want to make sure you all know how i'm approaching her right from the start.

make sense or am i just blabbing?  :-\
You make sense.

Will things be tied up to the other Batman films and characters reintroduced or referenced?