Nolans influence and reaction?

Started by eledoremassis02, Fri, 15 Apr 2016, 01:28

Previous topic - Next topic
So I've been watching alot of behind the scene videos and interviews and I came across this

He mentions talks with Nolan and then it dawned on me how much Nolan had done with Man of Steel and how he's still connected with these films. Goyer who co-penned the Dark Knight trilogy also wrote this (and man of steel?) Really thinking about it these films have similar beats and dialogue. Has Nolan or Goyer spoke up about this film and the negativity it has received? How much influence did Nolan have?

Fri, 15 Apr 2016, 12:37 #1 Last Edit: Fri, 15 Apr 2016, 12:39 by The Dark Knight
Snyder didn't roll over in his desire to kill Superman. It was always his intent from the start. He wants Batman setting up the League, given it'll be a harder and more drawn out process for the mere mortal. Snyder told Nolan about his desire to off Supes, as he says in the interview. And eventually Nolan agreed with Snyder. But it's not like Nolan's approval was needed. It was more WB. They came around to the concept when the Dawn of Justice subtitle was added. Snyder clearly has a vision and stuck with it. Don't get too caught up in the Nolan godfather thing. I believe it's merely tokenistic politeness.

Nolan was against killing Zod in the first film but Snyder pulled rank on that one.

Quote from: riddler on Fri, 15 Apr  2016, 13:09
Nolan was against killing Zod in the first film but Snyder pulled rank on that one.
That too.

Killing Zod made perfect sense to me, within the situation the movie put them in.

I still have no idea why people are so up in arms about that?

Quote from: Travesty on Fri, 15 Apr  2016, 15:56
Killing Zod made perfect sense to me, within the situation the movie put them in.

I totally agree that killing Zod  made perfect sense in terms of the situation presented...but the filmmakers didn't have to present such a situation, did they?

Now, I realise that sounds like a cop-out, but what I'm saying is that, for at least a few films Snyder and co could have avoided the question of a Superman that kills, by conceiving stories in which such an issue did not arise.  That said, for what it's worth, I don't think Superman killing Zod, a fellow super-powered Kryptonian, contradicts with his fundamental code which is about protecting and serving humans, at all costs.

In my mind, Superman can rationalise killing a Kryptonian if they pose a definite and fatal threat to a human, as Zod did in this instance, because apart from his commitment to protecting and serving the inhabitants of his adopted planet, he knows that he is at a vast genetic advantage to them and that to kill a human, no matter how evil, would be akin to a human-being pulling the wings off an insect.  By contrast, Zod has the same relative genetic advantages to Superman and their battle is a fair fight, and prior to killing Zod he has given his enemy every chance to submit.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Quote from: Travesty on Fri, 15 Apr  2016, 15:56Killing Zod made perfect sense to me, within the situation the movie put them in.

But the movie only put them in that situation, to have Superman kill Zod. They likely dislike it because it has no real point and the logic behind having it doesn't really make sense. Have a very great day!

God bless you! God bless everyone!