Recommend a movie

Started by The Laughing Fish, Sat, 31 Mar 2018, 01:47

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: thecolorsblend on Thu, 10 Dec  2020, 12:41
Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Wed,  9 Dec  2020, 13:05
Has anyone else seen The Founder yet, aka the McDonald's biography? Michael Keaton was excellent as Ray Kroc, shows him as a salesman who is initially down on his luck, until he shows what a ruthless businessman he is and has no hesitation in screwing over people to make the most iconic fast-food brand ever.

Watched the movie last night. He is shown to be pretty ruthless after a certain point. But honestly, I was more upset by his stealing the franchisee's wife. I mean, a bad business deal is a bad business deal. Kroc tried getting out of it fairly numerous times before he went nuclear on the McDonald brothers. You do what you gotta do. But stealing some other guy's wife, I can't look past that. Good movie about a not very good guy.

Yes, it was pretty scummy of him, but that sums up Ray Kroc's character. Pretty much embodies the attitude of "I get whatever I want", with zero remorse.

Another good drama I enjoyed watching recently was Richard Jewell, the latest directorial effort by Clint Eastwood. If you know the true story about the Atlanta bombing in 1996, you have a well-meaning (albeit awkward) security guard whose habit of strictly abiding by regulations saved many people from further injury and death, but gets wrongfully labeled a suspect by the CIA, based on an unproven criminal theory that gets leaked to the press. A good cautionary tale of how the media and government agencies can vilify people due to their own incompetence and personal ambitions getting in the way of judgement.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Watched the movie last night. He is shown to be pretty ruthless after a certain point. But honestly, I was more upset by his stealing the franchisee's wife. I mean, a bad business deal is a bad business deal. Kroc tried getting out of it fairly numerous times before he went nuclear on the McDonald brothers. You do what you gotta do. But stealing some other guy's wife, I can't look past that. Good movie about a not very good guy.
It's a great movie and I saw it around the initial release. Ray Kroc is one of my business idols.

How do you create an iconic mega corporation? Is that process going to be clean, or do you need to push into uncomfortable areas and break eggs? Kroc was necessary evil and did what had to be done. Without him, McDonalds would not be what it is today. It would be a small local shop in California that closed long ago, or expanded but nothing like the global powerhouse we see now.

The Brothers were reluctant to push forward so they had to be left behind. Period. Kroc did the job asked of him - he just did it too well. Kroc is a hero of hard work, problem solving and determination, seeing an opportunity and taking it with both hands.

As a salesman he knew the grind of daily life. He's proof that success can come at any moment, even late in life. And that trying something once and failing isn't an excuse to not try again.

Honestly, screw the McDonald brothers. They just had to cooperate more fully with Kroc and see the enormity of what was happening. Because of their resistance, future family members miss out on millions. And that's their problem. Kroc outgrew them and holding himself back meant forgoing a once in a generation opportunity. He would've been a fool to restrain himself.

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Thu, 10 Dec  2020, 13:11Another good drama I enjoyed watching recently was Richard Jewell, the latest directorial effort by Clint Eastwood. If you know the true story about the Atlanta bombing in 1996, you have a well-meaning (albeit awkward) security guard whose habit of strictly abiding by regulations saved many people from further injury and death, but gets wrongfully labeled a suspect by the CIA, based on an unproven criminal theory that gets leaked to the press. A good cautionary tale of how the media and government agencies can vilify people due to their own incompetence and personal ambitions getting in the way of judgement.
Is there something in the water? I just finished of Manhunt: Deadly Games, centering on that very same subject. I imagine it's probably different in the particular than Eastwood's movie.

It sort of ties in with my long-held theory that anybody can be made into an Oswald simply by living a quiet, ordinary life with a few juicy details of their private lives taken wildly out of context.

But since we're here, Manhunt is shaping up to be an enjoyable... whatever it is. Anthology show, miniseries, whatever.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Fri, 11 Dec  2020, 02:26
Is there something in the water? I just finished of Manhunt: Deadly Games, centering on that very same subject. I imagine it's probably different in the particular than Eastwood's movie.

It sort of ties in with my long-held theory that anybody can be made into an Oswald simply by living a quiet, ordinary life with a few juicy details of their private lives taken wildly out of context.

But since we're here, Manhunt is shaping up to be an enjoyable... whatever it is. Anthology show, miniseries, whatever.

That is weird. If watching films and TV shows that follow the same topic isn't coincidental enough, I'm up to the fourth episode of Manhunt: Unabomber.

Are we telepathic or something?

Anyway, the only gripe I have with Unabomber is the production quality feels a little like a bland CBS procedural, but the acting elevates it. Paul Bettany is absolutely creepy as Ted Kaczynski and Sam Worthington is solid as the bright but frustrated Agent Fitzgerald.

I've heard of stories about Kaczynski started off as the Zodiac killer and then he became the Unabomber, but I've also heard that serial killers don't tend to change their identities and MOs.

To change the subject, another drama I watched over the weekend was The Disaster Artist, based on the true story of the production for one of the worst films of all time, The Room. I'm not exactly a big fan of the Seth Rogen/Judd Apatow comedy troupe, but James Franco NAILED it as the incompetent Tommy Wiseau. ;D

It's probably one of the most meta films you will ever see. It's not exactly demeaning to Wiseau, but if you've seen him in interviews he wouldn't appear to care anyway. If anything, it celebrates how an independent film made by passionate but inept people, could gain such an appreciation because of how terrible it is.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Mon, 14 Dec 2020, 13:04 #44 Last Edit: Mon, 14 Dec 2020, 13:06 by thecolorsblend
Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Mon, 14 Dec  2020, 11:18That is weird. If watching films and TV shows that follow the same topic isn't coincidental enough, I'm up to the fourth episode of Manhunt: Unabomber.
That one is a real winner, if you ask me. Took a while for me to realize that Deadly Games is the follow up to Unabomber. Watched Unabomber last year and totally loved it.

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Mon, 14 Dec  2020, 11:18Anyway, the only gripe I have with Unabomber is the production quality feels a little like a bland CBS procedural, but the acting elevates it. Paul Bettany is absolutely creepy as Ted Kaczynski and Sam Worthington is solid as the bright but frustrated Agent Fitzgerald.
It is kind of generic on a cinematic level but I don't mind that too much.

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Mon, 14 Dec  2020, 11:18I've heard of stories about Kaczynski started off as the Zodiac killer and then he became the Unabomber, but I've also heard that serial killers don't tend to change their identities and MOs.
I'll say this, if not for the bombs themselves, Kaczynski would be viewed as a prophet these days. Ultimately, the maimings and deaths detract from what could've been a powerful message. Obviously, I cannot sanction the murder of innocents like that. But he still has a point even if he went about expressing it in the wrong way.

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Mon, 14 Dec  2020, 11:18To change the subject, another drama I watched over the weekend was The Disaster Artist, based on the true story of the production for one of the worst films of all time, The Room. I'm not exactly a big fan of the Seth Rogen/Judd Apatow comedy troupe, but James Franco NAILED it as the incompetent Tommy Wiseau. ;D

It's probably one of the most meta films you will ever see. It's not exactly demeaning to Wiseau, but if you've seen him in interviews he wouldn't appear to care anyway. If anything, it celebrates how an independent film made by passionate but inept people, could gain such an appreciation because of how terrible it is.
I saw The Room ages ago at a midnight screening and couldn't believe my eyes. "Nuff said? And so, it makes sense to me that the Behind The Scenes story is even zanier than the movie itself. The Disaster Artist doesn't necessarily paint Wiseau in a flattering light (although neither do his public appearances) (and neither does The Room) but at the same time it's clear that Franco and all the rest do have a sincere affection for him and his movie.

The Disaster Artist is dedicated to such esoteric subject matter that I'm amazed that it even exists.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Thu, 10 Dec  2020, 19:57It's a great movie and I saw it around the initial release. Ray Kroc is one of my business idols.
I only watched it for the first time a few days ago because of this thread. Rly enjoyed it tho.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Thu, 10 Dec  2020, 19:57How do you create an iconic mega corporation? Is that process going to be clean, or do you need to push into uncomfortable areas and break eggs? Kroc was necessary evil and did what had to be done. Without him, McDonalds would not be what it is today. It would be a small local shop in California that closed long ago, or expanded but nothing like the global powerhouse we see now.
Agreed. Sooner or later (sooner, I think), someone would have been successful in stealing the brothers' fast food system. I see it as a question of when, not if. They were always going to get ripped off and left behind by somebody. In a certain sense, all you can rly blame Kroc for is being first on the scene.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Thu, 10 Dec  2020, 19:57The Brothers were reluctant to push forward so they had to be left behind. Period. Kroc did the job asked of him - he just did it too well. Kroc is a hero of hard work, problem solving and determination, seeing an opportunity and taking it with both hands.
Agreed. And even there, the brothers could've defended themselves if they'd used a stronger contract with Kroc. Hate to say it business is war and trusting a business partner too much usually only sets you up for betrayal later. The brothers were visionaries, but only up to a point. Stronger leadership obviously would've allowed them to expand their business. They simply were unwilling or unable to do what needed to be done.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Thu, 10 Dec  2020, 19:57Honestly, screw the McDonald brothers. They just had to cooperate more fully with Kroc and see the enormity of what was happening. Because of their resistance, future family members miss out on millions. And that's their problem. Kroc outgrew them and holding himself back meant forgoing a once in a generation opportunity. He would've been a fool to restrain himself.
Kroc wasn't out to make friends, that much is clear. He understood the power of branding and being firstest with the mostest, and he had the will to act. Sure, he had some lucky breaks along the way and he hired the right team to get the job done. Kroc himself said others undoubtedly tried copying the McDonald's formula. But in the end, he succeeded where (probably) everyone else had failed because he had the will to do what needed to be done. The brothers were very good process thinkers but Kroc's gift was being able to see the big picture. That's why he ultimately won, if you ask me. The brothers didn't rly understand what to do with their system.

On a side note, I guess I never thought much about how McDonald's totally rewrote the rules of the food service industry. Those scenes where Kroc goes to drive-in restaurants and disaster strikes endlessly were very educational. Even tho Kroc has all my sympathies in the movie, I still admire the McDonald brothers for recognizing every single problem the drive-in dining model had and then systematically fixing them one-by-one. They were visionaries when it comes to customer service. It's their business acumen that was lacking.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Thu, 10 Dec  2020, 19:57
It's a great movie and I saw it around the initial release. Ray Kroc is one of my business idols.

How do you create an iconic mega corporation? Is that process going to be clean, or do you need to push into uncomfortable areas and break eggs? Kroc was necessary evil and did what had to be done. Without him, McDonalds would not be what it is today. It would be a small local shop in California that closed long ago, or expanded but nothing like the global powerhouse we see now.

The Brothers were reluctant to push forward so they had to be left behind. Period. Kroc did the job asked of him - he just did it too well. Kroc is a hero of hard work, problem solving and determination, seeing an opportunity and taking it with both hands.

As a salesman he knew the grind of daily life. He's proof that success can come at any moment, even late in life. And that trying something once and failing isn't an excuse to not try again.

Honestly, screw the McDonald brothers. They just had to cooperate more fully with Kroc and see the enormity of what was happening. Because of their resistance, future family members miss out on millions. And that's their problem. Kroc outgrew them and holding himself back meant forgoing a once in a generation opportunity. He would've been a fool to restrain himself.
Rly not trying to beat this thing to death. But the bit in the bathroom is an amazing scene. Hell, I'd say every scene "with" Ray and the McDonald brothers in the last maybe twenty minutes of the movie is great. But the bathroom scene is THE scene, it lays out the entire agenda. No idea if it actually happened this way but it's a f****** great scene.

Read Ray's book Grinding It Out if you're really interested in the man.

The McDonald brothers couldn't get past the mentality of 'this was our idea, and we started the first restaurant'. I could understand that thinking if this was going to remain a local store and nothing much beyond that. But keeping that mentality long term was to their detriment.

They tried to franchise the brand themselves and failed. Ray was insistent on expanding the business, but nonetheless, the brothers did agree to that. After that point he was making it happen. Why put limitations on greatness? I think their own past failure held them back.

I love the cold hearted brilliance of using their family name and leaving them in the dust.

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Thu, 10 Dec  2020, 13:11
Another good drama I enjoyed watching recently was Richard Jewell, the latest directorial effort by Clint Eastwood. If you know the true story about the Atlanta bombing in 1996, you have a well-meaning (albeit awkward) security guard whose habit of strictly abiding by regulations saved many people from further injury and death, but gets wrongfully labeled a suspect by the CIA, based on an unproven criminal theory that gets leaked to the press. A good cautionary tale of how the media and government agencies can vilify people due to their own incompetence and personal ambitions getting in the way of judgement.
Your recommendation about The Founder paid off in a big way so I've got Richard Jewell up on HBO Max.

So far, I'm thinking I like the Manhunt version of this story better. This is okay tho.

I didn't see an appropriate thread and didn't want to start another, so I'm posting this here. A trailer for an upcoming project, The Beatles: Get Back, which I would recommend people see in any case.

I was smiling the whole time. To see this new footage is amazing and it looks like it could've been filmed last week, rather than 50 years ago. It's crazy the footage has been sitting there the whole time, untouched until now, similar to the recent Michael Jordan documentary 'The Last Dance' which enthralled the world. Just seeing them interact in their place of work, right near the end of their time together as a band, will be special to see. That dynamic is what created the magic.

Peter Jackson is a big fan and I have faith in him to deliver a strong final edit. The Beatles deserve a proper studio movie like this, and while the original Let It Be film has its place, this can be more expansive and more of a celebration. Really looking forward to it. 

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Tue, 22 Dec  2020, 03:03
I didn't see an appropriate thread and didn't want to start another, so I'm posting this here. A trailer for an upcoming project, The Beatles: Get Back, which I would recommend people see in any case.

I was smiling the whole time. To see this new footage is amazing and it looks like it could've been filmed last week, rather than 50 years ago. It's crazy the footage has been sitting there the whole time, untouched until now, similar to the recent Michael Jordan documentary 'The Last Dance' which enthralled the world. Just seeing them interact in their place of work, right near the end of their time together as a band, will be special to see. That dynamic is what created the magic.

Peter Jackson is a big fan and I have faith in him to deliver a strong final edit. The Beatles deserve a proper studio movie like this, and while the original Let It Be film has its place, this can be more expansive and more of a celebration. Really looking forward to it.
colors- "Smile? How is watching Beatles footage supposed to make anyone smile?"
*John and Ringo ventriloquist-sing their way through "Two Of Us"*
colors- *smiles*