Wayne T. Carr is Green Lantern

Started by The Laughing Fish, Sun, 2 May 2021, 02:49

Previous topic - Next topic
Rather than posting the latest news in separate threads, I'm going to keep things organised and create a new thread that's dedicated to this topic.

ICYMI, here is a recap: Wayne T. Carr was cast as John Stewart and he was meant to appear in the end of ZSJL, but WB forced him out of the final cut. Carr got the role thanks to Ray Fisher, who is a friend of his.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.insider.com/who-was-green-lantern-in-justice-league-supposed-to-be%3famp

A month before Snyder confirmed who played his version of GL, he revealed he came very close to quitting production, but he eventually compromised and completed the rest of the film for the sake of the fans.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.indiewire.com/2021/03/zack-snyder-quit-snyder-cut-green-lantern-1234625613/amp/

Carr first spoke publicly about GL in an interview with the LightCast YouTube channel. In this snippet, he explains his reaction to the film and his gratitude for the fans' support.

Now here is where we get to discussing the latest news: today, Carr and Snyder released BTS images of the deleted scene on social media. This was shot at the director's very own driveway.

In addition to #RestoreTheSnyderVerse, we now have #ReleaseTheGreenLanternScene as a new hashtag. So even though the Snyder cut came out, it's still compromised.

I'm fine with the Martian Manhunter epilogue scene, even love it knowing MM is a telepath who comforts Bruce over his parents. But it irritates me how that scene was still a result of further compromise, and another JL character was removed entirely thanks to studio pettiness. Warner Butchers would've loved it if Snyder walked away from the project. I bet they were even betting on it, the bastards.

I hope Snyder releases the deleted GL scene one day.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Snyder has unleashed a screenshot of Carr's Green Lantern during a Q&A session for Army of the Dead.

#ReleaseTheSnyderCutOfTheSnyderCut  :P
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Maybe I'm wrong. But I imagine this decision probably would've been less of an issue if poc actors/characters hadn't taken it straight to the chin in Whedon's version. I don't like accusing anybody and everybody of sumthin sumthin racism just because a decision has a negative impact on a poc character.

But considering the history of this thing... well, I'd understand if some people see a racial prejudice going on somewhere here. I can't even tell them that they're definitely wrong either. It isn't pleasant to think about. But there it is anyway.

On a fan level, I simply lament the loss of an opportunity for Stewart. He's a popular character, he's been around a long time, his fanbase is bigger than you might think and including him in the movie probably would've won some extra good will for the Snyder Cut. It's a shame. And obviously, there is a kind of sinister explanation for his absence.

Here is some very nice fan art of Wayne T. Carr as John Stewart.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Fri, 14 May  2021, 19:25
Maybe I'm wrong. But I imagine this decision probably would've been less of an issue if poc actors/characters hadn't taken it straight to the chin in Whedon's version. I don't like accusing anybody and everybody of sumthin sumthin racism just because a decision has a negative impact on a poc character.

But considering the history of this thing... well, I'd understand if some people see a racial prejudice going on somewhere here. I can't even tell them that they're definitely wrong either. It isn't pleasant to think about. But there it is anyway.

When Fisher alledges his role was rewritten in the theatrical cut because the executives freaked out over having an "angry black man", you definitely can't help but feel suspicious when the studio stays silent. Instead of taking legal action against him for slander, the studio issues hit pieces in the media while removing him from The Flash, and tries desperately hard to distract people with news to upcoming DC films.

Yeah, I know who is guilty here.

But even if the removals of these characters weren't racially motivated, it doesn't take a genius to figure out the film, and the franchise as a whole, was sabotaged. Warner Butchers have the audacity to call ZSJL a "cul-de-sac", despite the fact it was laying the groundwork for sequels AND spin-offs for Cyborg, Atom and GL. Not to mention setting up the stage for Batfleck and the next WW film.

Snyder was expanding the universe, but the corrupt people in charge did an aggressive takeover out of spite and ego. To add further insult to injury, the studio has still NO plan whatsoever. The DCEU has been a disorganised mess ever since. Now, they're trying to distract the fandom with reboots that were results of this whole sabotage. You've got a solo Batman film that was developed as soon as Affleck's script was scrapped during the Josstice L reshoots, and black Superman, which is a dirty political tactic that is desperately trying hard to discredit any complaints about racism and discrimination going on behind the scenes at the studio. I refuse to support such tainted products by such a toxic company.

Seriously, when you remove Darkseid and any trace of the New Gods from the DC film property, you know this isn't cold feet. It is far worse than that.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Fri, 14 May  2021, 19:25
On a fan level, I simply lament the loss of an opportunity for Stewart. He's a popular character, he's been around a long time, his fanbase is bigger than you might think and including him in the movie probably would've won some extra good will for the Snyder Cut. It's a shame. And obviously, there is a kind of sinister explanation for his absence.

There are three possible explanations for John Stewart's removal, and I suspect they overlap:

• Fisher is good friends with Carr and helped him get the role. The studio knew about this and wanted to spite Fisher even further.
  • Geoff Johns is reportedly a co-executive producer on the upcoming Green Lantern Corps HBO Max show and doesn't want anyone else, especially not Snyder, to do their own take of the character. Which goes against the studio's very own promotion of the multiverse. Stupid bastards.
  • They simply look for any reason to spite Zack Snyder.

Going forward, Warner Butchers can try to save face all they want, but nobody will forget the sort of positive impact they could've had if only they stayed course with Snyder's vision. As the first two side-by-side comparisons shows in the picture below, they would've been ahead of the MCU in some areas. It would've been memorable for all the right reasons.

If you can ignore the video's misleading title, some CG imperfections and incorrect colour grading, this edit is otherwise very good.

This is as close as we'll get to seeing the deleted scene.

Meanwhile, Snyder has shared this concept art of John Stewart meeting Bruce Wayne.

As I mentioned before, it was rumoured that one of the excuses the studio had for forcing John Stewart out of ZSJL was because it would've prevented the Green Lantern HBO Max show from using the character. If so, once again, the multiverse they've been using as a PR stunt is bogus.

So I heard DC FanDome had no news about this show. Nor anything about John Stewart, for that matter. Nobody seems to know what future this show or the character has at the moment.

Again, Wayne T. Carr's omission was nothing more but a spiteful power play to undermine Snyder from completing the film as he wanted. Remember, he had to fight very hard to get those additional photography and Knightmare scenes to shoot. If compromising on GL wasn't enough to make Snyder quitting his own cut then not filming those extra epilogue scenes certainly would have. And I bet those degenerates at WB were counting on their dirty tactics to frustrate him so he would leave.

Bastards.

Wayne T. Carr uploaded a picture of himself while shooting at Snyder's very own driveway, tweeting the hashtags #RestoreTheSnyderVerse and #ReleaseTheAyerCut.

https://twitter.com/WayneTCarr/status/1449423924442255362

It has occurred to me that this year marks John Stewart's 50th anniversary of his debut in DC Comics.

Keep in mind, Stewart was always planned to be a part of the entire JL saga, he played a role in the planned storyboards for JL2 and 3. Nevertheless, his appearance in ZSJL would've been a nice way to commemorate the character's anniversary. Instead, the character's live action future prospects is in limbo.

#CleanUpWB

As much as I don't have much respect for LightCast nowadays thanks to a plagiarism controversy surrounding their cancelled JL motion comic project, here is the full interview with Wayne T. Carr. A good chat nonetheless.

Here is another interview with Carr on a different YouTube channel. He mentions he's eager. To see if the Discovery merger will result any changes at Warner, and still remains hopeful of playing GL for real one day.

Here is a new fan edit of John Stewart speaking to Bruce Wayne, with Kilowog in the background.