The Flash and the Speed Force

Started by The Laughing Fish, Thu, 22 Apr 2021, 12:09

Previous topic - Next topic
Barry's use of the Speed Force to undo the Unity's destruction has got to be not only one of the best moments of the entire DCEU, but one of the best superhero film moments I've ever seen.

I'd say the moment is enriched even further when Barry uses Henry's earlier advice to keep him focused as he turns back time, and the scene is topped off with Victor's heartfelt and defiant moment of breaking through the Mother Boxes. It's fascinating that Barry and Victor's dads had played significant parts in leading up to both heroes' most emotional moments. Good men, whatever their imperfections were, certainly inspired their sons to achieve wonders. As Chris Terrio said in the Justice Con interview, "it's pure cinema".

Yet Warner Butchers, among with so many scenes in ZSJL they discarded, didn't want this spectacular scene because they thought it would've been too confusing for the audience. GTFO.

The only "confusing" part one may argue is Flash might be creating new timelines whenever he interacts with the Speed Force, but that sort of paradox is part of the character. You'd think for a comic book guy like Johns would've appreciated that. Evidently not, as you can see what he helped produce in Josstice League.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

VFX supervisor John "DJ" Des Jardin has confirmed that the entire third act of JL was reshot because the studio didn't understand this particular scene.

It's funny, because that was always in the story. We shot that way back in 2016. It was something that, I don't know what it was, the mood of the studio at the time, they just didn't get it, to be honest. They were just like 'I don't understand this,' and maybe it was the previous nature of it or the post-vis nature or whatever, but it was one of the first things they threw out after they pulled Zack off the movie, sadly.

I'm really, really happy with the work that Bryan (Hirota, Visual Effects Supervisor) did on it because Bryan hadn't had a chance to touch that scene before, so this was all brand-new to him. I had lived with it for years, and the spec for it never changed. And I had some early post-vis versions of it that I could show him. I really loved the breath and depth and scope that he gave those big ideas that are in that imagery.

https://web.archive.org/web/20210601190115/https://comicbook.com/dc/news/justice-league-wb-reportedly-didnt-understand-flash-time-travel-snyder-cut/

Snyder was also quoted in that article saying the studio kept pushing back against that scene. But sure, The Flash movie will explore multiverse. Give me a break.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

That scene makes the film for me. In one sense, defeat was averted. But that scene also makes defeat inevitable too.

Plus, it perfectly sets up Flashpoint too. Barry's decision to meddle with the timeline(s) is justified now. Because it (seemingly) worked so perfectly in ZSJL. Barry hasn't seen the dark side of it yet. "Make your own future, make your own past, it's all right now (or it's alright now, if that works better for you)."

Between Jonathan Kent, Jor-El, Henry Allen, Silas Stone, even Thomas Wayne you could say, the Snyderverse is all about fathers. The way their successes, failures, virtues and flaws impact their sons.

I like this mashup of the music used in the Speed Force scene together with Flash and Lex-Brainiac's fight in JLU.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Sat,  5 Jun  2021, 04:57
That scene makes the film for me. In one sense, defeat was averted. But that scene also makes defeat inevitable too.

Plus, it perfectly sets up Flashpoint too.

You would think so. But you can never be sure with those bastards in charge of WB.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Sat,  5 Jun  2021, 04:57
Between Jonathan Kent, Jor-El, Henry Allen, Silas Stone, even Thomas Wayne you could say, the Snyderverse is all about fathers. The way their successes, failures, virtues and flaws impact their sons.

The dads definitely play a significant role in the Snyderverse, but I'd say all the parents do their part. With the mums, you have Hippolyta sharing her wisdom and affection to Diana, Clark's protectiveness over Martha. and how her being in danger was key to snapping Bruce out from his misguided anger.

But perhaps nothing is more impressive than Elinore Stone challenging the school principal's sense of compassion, while she defended her son for cheating the grades to help a fellow student who was struggling. You can tell Elinore raised Victor with virtues. Helping a young mother desperate to make ends meet by blowing up her bank account is yet another example of how Victor was raised to support others in need. It's even more virtuous given it was the first thing he did as a metahuman who could manipulate advanced technology.

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Tue,  8 Jun  2021, 14:26Helping a young mother desperate to make ends meet by blowing up her bank account is yet another example of how Victor was raised to support others in need. It's even more virtuous given it was the first thing he did as a metahuman who could manipulate advanced technology.
That's one of the best bits in the whole movie.

I can understand wanting a theater-friendly, shorter runtime for the movie. That doesn't justify what WB did. But I can understand where they were coming from in wanting something relatively short. But man, cutting that scene out of the movie is inexcusable. There's just no way to support that. That scene goes so far into Victor's power and his character that deleting it from the movie tells me that whoever decided to delete doesn't know wtf they're talking about.

I mean, if someone wants to say mainstream audiences are too stupid to follow the Flash's time travel bit at the end of the movie... eh. I disagree with that. But I can understand why someone might think so (before Endgame, I mean). I won't be remembered for my unbreakable faith in the common man's intelligence either.

But cutting Victor's discovery of his abilities, the business with the single mom... no. I can't ever sanction that.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Tue,  8 Jun  2021, 22:38
Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Tue,  8 Jun  2021, 14:26Helping a young mother desperate to make ends meet by blowing up her bank account is yet another example of how Victor was raised to support others in need. It's even more virtuous given it was the first thing he did as a metahuman who could manipulate advanced technology.
That's one of the best bits in the whole movie.

I can understand wanting a theater-friendly, shorter runtime for the movie. That doesn't justify what WB did. But I can understand where they were coming from in wanting something relatively short. But man, cutting that scene out of the movie is inexcusable. There's just no way to support that. That scene goes so far into Victor's power and his character that deleting it from the movie tells me that whoever decided to delete doesn't know wtf they're talking about.

I mean, if someone wants to say mainstream audiences are too stupid to follow the Flash's time travel bit at the end of the movie... eh. I disagree with that. But I can understand why someone might think so (before Endgame, I mean). I won't be remembered for my unbreakable faith in the common man's intelligence either.

But cutting Victor's discovery of his abilities, the business with the single mom... no. I can't ever sanction that.

If the studio executives never actually saw the Snyder cut then who was giving feedback to delete scenes? Was it only Geoff Johns and the producers? Ray Fisher did say Emmerich was involved with the meddling behind the scenes. It's a bit confusing, but it does confirm one thing: that the blogs claiming the studio thought the Snyder cut was "unwatchable" are full of sh*t.

Speaking of executives, it seems Ann Sarnoff, who pissed people off with that Variety hit piece where she talked about the Snyderverse as a "trilogy", refusing to release the Ayer cut and gaslighting fans as "toxic", might be on her way out.

Though [Discovery CEO David] Zaslav can't make personnel decisions, the consensus among industry observers is that once the deal closes, WarnerMedia CEO Jason Kilar will depart, and WarnerMedia Studios CEO Ann Sarnoff may go, too. An outsider who did not become an insider in two years on the job, Sarnoff by many accounts has not developed strong relationships in the broader entertainment community or even within the company. One insider calls her "an invisible layer" within WarnerMedia. A source with knowledge of the AT&T CEO's thinking says Stankey wants to protect her; the decision, of course, will be Zaslav's.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/business-news/warnermedia-merger-jason-kilar-future-1234964940/

No tears from me if she goes. Hopefully her, Emmerich, Hamada and anybody else who is their allies will all go away.

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Sun, 13 Jun  2021, 01:22If the studio executives never actually saw the Snyder cut then who was giving feedback to delete scenes? Was it only Geoff Johns and the producers? Ray Fisher did say Emmerich was involved with the meddling behind the scenes.
Emmerich's hands are all over this. But you are right that normally, a movie's executive producers essentially represent the studio's interests on a given movie. It would be rare for studio honcho like Hamada to take a direct and active hand in a movie production. It's happened, don't get me wrong. But there's a pecking order at work where the studio is represented, as I say, by the executive producers. Studio executives like Hamada may be involved in a big picture type of way. But commenting on specific scenes or demanding certain things get cut is typically below their paygrade. They're supposed to manage a studio; not a specific production.

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Sun, 13 Jun  2021, 01:22It's a bit confusing, but it does confirm one thing: that the blogs claiming the studio thought the Snyder cut was "unwatchable" are full of sh*t.
I've never thought anything else, frankly.

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Sun, 13 Jun  2021, 01:22Speaking of executives, it seems Ann Sarnoff, who pissed people off with that Variety hit piece where she talked about the Snyderverse as a "trilogy", refusing to release the Ayer cut and gaslighting fans as "toxic", might be on her way out.

Though [Discovery CEO David] Zaslav can't make personnel decisions, the consensus among industry observers is that once the deal closes, WarnerMedia CEO Jason Kilar will depart, and WarnerMedia Studios CEO Ann Sarnoff may go, too. An outsider who did not become an insider in two years on the job, Sarnoff by many accounts has not developed strong relationships in the broader entertainment community or even within the company. One insider calls her "an invisible layer" within WarnerMedia. A source with knowledge of the AT&T CEO's thinking says Stankey wants to protect her; the decision, of course, will be Zaslav's.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/business-news/warnermedia-merger-jason-kilar-future-1234964940/

No tears from me if she goes. Hopefully her, Emmerich, Hamada and anybody else who is their allies will all go away.
Sarnoff has a tricky job. She's supposed to liaise with the talent, court financiers, soothe the board, interface with investors and partners, etc. A CEO for a movie studio ideally should be someone with rock freaking solid interpersonal skills with enough "talent" to spot a good director when he/she meets one, have enough business savvy to communicate in financial terms to people who make financial decisions, etc. Her station at WM Studios is no place for an introvert, put it that way.

On the one hand, I can't fault her too much if the size of that job is beyond her. But on the other hand, you have to ask yourself how the hell she ever got to that level if she just plain isn't capable of doing the job.

"Failing upward" is a funny quip to make about Hollywood people. And there are times when it's true. But that can never possibly explain how she became CEO of a major studio/brand when she's not capable of getting the job done. Because she reports to people who are interested in making oodles and oodles of profit. She's playing with the big boys and you don't normally get there if you're a hermit who doesn't understand cinema or business.

I'm harping on this because I don't understand it either, except maybe somebody owes her a crap ton of money or something. Although, even then she'd get stuck in some executive position at a lower level. It just doesn't explain how she became a CEO.

But you know what could? PC hiring decisions.

I bought the DVD the other day and I rewatched the Superman vs Justice League scene. When Flash was about to be incinerated by Clark's heat vision, I noticed he raised his hand up in the air, which is the same gesture he did as he was about to enter the Speed Force during the final battle. If the military hadn't intervened, Flash might've attempted to turn back time as soon as Clark opened fire.

Little moments like that make me wonder how destiny could've changed in a split second. If the Flash had hesitated even longer and didn't mishear Cyborg saying "no" after he had that apocalyptic vision of the future and Superman, the chance to resurrect Clark would've been lost.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Sun, 13 Jun  2021, 06:08
Sarnoff has a tricky job. She's supposed to liaise with the talent, court financiers, soothe the board, interface with investors and partners, etc. A CEO for a movie studio ideally should be someone with rock freaking solid interpersonal skills with enough "talent" to spot a good director when he/she meets one, have enough business savvy to communicate in financial terms to people who make financial decisions, etc. Her station at WM Studios is no place for an introvert, put it that way.

On the one hand, I can't fault her too much if the size of that job is beyond her. But on the other hand, you have to ask yourself how the hell she ever got to that level if she just plain isn't capable of doing the job.

"Failing upward" is a funny quip to make about Hollywood people. And there are times when it's true. But that can never possibly explain how she became CEO of a major studio/brand when she's not capable of getting the job done. Because she reports to people who are interested in making oodles and oodles of profit. She's playing with the big boys and you don't normally get there if you're a hermit who doesn't understand cinema or business.

I'm harping on this because I don't understand it either, except maybe somebody owes her a crap ton of money or something. Although, even then she'd get stuck in some executive position at a lower level. It just doesn't explain how she became a CEO.

But you know what could? PC hiring decisions.

I've read she worked at Nickelodeon and BBC's North American division in pretty significant positions; even helped kick off subscription TV channels for both companies. You would think those experiences would've been perfect qualifications to work at where she is now.

Instead, the stupid thing she does is doing a Variety hit piece to alienate and antagonise fans over products they want to see more of, and used identity politics to brush away an aggrieved actor's complaints about discrimination - and enabling such behaviour - behind the scenes. Well, if her own colleagues at the studio are speaking badly about her, as that anonymous insider did in that article, then it goes to show she has a people skills problem.

This isn't the first time THR had cast Sarnoff's future into doubt. If you go back and read their Emmerich article that was published a few months ago, there was a WarnerMedia spokesperson saying Emmerich and Sarnoff had a "wonderful relationship and there were no truth to the rumours". This confused everybody reading this article on social media because nobody knew any rumours to the contrary. Why would anyone need to bring that up was a mystery, till now.

If the Discovery merger results in massive changes in personnel, I expect to see more of these executives eating each other alive.

A fan edit changed the colour grading in this scene.

I have read some nitpicks from some people who reckon that the Flash running at full speed should always reflect the colours of his costume instead of having a blue filter, but I don't agree when it comes to ZSJL. The blue filter for these sorts of scenes are easier on the eye. If you make the colour scheme any brighter it becomes harder to see certain details. Sometimes, colour saturation doesn't make a scene better. Case in point, take a look Josstice League's version of the third act.

Nonetheless, I have no doubt this is the sort of colour scheme The Flash will use going forward.

I found these pictures of Ezra Miller's Flash costume. As you can see from these photos and sketches, the costume was originally going to resemble an S-shaped symbol. If the rough sketches comparing the Flash and Superman symbols are true, we can assume that Barry Allen was supposed to design this symbol as his way to pay homage to Superman's sacrifice in BvS. If that's the case then his remark about missing Superman during the Justice League's first encounter with Steppenwolf and the Parademons would've been even more meaningful.

Rumour has it that Geoff Johns was responsible for changing the Flash's symbol because he wanted it to be "more comic accurate". Still, this isn't the most egregious thing that was changed in this movie.