Justice Con 2020

Started by The Laughing Fish, Sat, 11 Jul 2020, 03:39

Previous topic - Next topic
A fan-organised Q&A live stream event will be taking place on YouTube on July 25th-26th, with special guests including Ray Porter, Ray Fisher, and the director of ZSJL himself, Zack Snyder.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmbXef0QoqdIfcXUMj_DD7A

Not much is known about what else this event has to offer, but I'll be very keen to see what sort of surprises Snyder and co have in store.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

There is A LOT to take in, but here are these interviews.

Ray Porter aka Darkseid:

Jay Oliva:

Ray Fisher:

Zack Snyder:

Half way through the Snyder interview, he unleashed the Black Suit Superman clip, which is the deleted scene of him meeting Alfred. As he explained, the studio didn't feel comfortable in making Kal-El wear the black suit, so Snyder was forced to compromise. Which didn't even make the final theatrical cut. Thankfully, he's going deeper to restore the vision that he had intended all along.

I reckon the best interview out of the lot is Ray Fisher. Such a honest, down to earth guy. The Joss Whedon subject gets mentioned and talked about it deeply, but he does with professionalism and grace. Going by what Fisher says, it seems Whedon is facing the music. The sudden removal from his panel at Comic Con@Home is probably the start.

I liked to hear that Fisher is an avid DC fan growing up, including watching BR every Christmas.  8)
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Cinematographer Fabian Wagner:

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Sun, 26 Jul  2020, 06:15I reckon the best interview out of the lot is Ray Fisher. Such a honest, down to earth guy. The Joss Whedon subject gets mentioned and talked about it deeply, but he does with professionalism and grace. Going by what Fisher says, it seems Whedon is facing the music. The sudden removal from his panel at Comic Con@Home is probably the start.

I liked to hear that Fisher is an avid DC fan growing up, including watching BR every Christmas.  8)
It's almost an hour and a half long. When do the Whedon comments come up?

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Sun, 26 Jul  2020, 22:20
Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Sun, 26 Jul  2020, 06:15I reckon the best interview out of the lot is Ray Fisher. Such a honest, down to earth guy. The Joss Whedon subject gets mentioned and talked about it deeply, but he does with professionalism and grace. Going by what Fisher says, it seems Whedon is facing the music. The sudden removal from his panel at Comic Con@Home is probably the start.

It's almost an hour and a half long. When do the Whedon comments come up?

Check out the 26:00 minute mark.

Here are a couple of more videos.

Deborah Snyder.

Sean O'Connell, a CinemaBlend journalist who is writing a book about the whole #ReleaseTheSnyderCut saga.

I believe Mrs Snyder raises a good point about streaming platforms give storytellers the time and freedom to flesh out their work, away from the studio pressures of ticket sales and compromising the running time to accomodate that and so forth. Character development for a big ensemble piece such as Justice League would be easier to achieve than cramming everything in two and a half hours or less. Be careful and skip 36:51-37:33 because she does give away ***minor spoiler*** not yet covered in the last few years.

O'Connell's book will be very enlightening to read. In the video, he reads a deleted chapter from his book.

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Sun, 26 Jul  2020, 06:15

Okay, so yeah. The Snyder interview gets pretty gd spicy about 35 minutes in.

For starters, I WAY underestimated Snyder's feelings about Whedon. But Snyder is so easygoing that for him to be as vocal as he got, that ain't coming from nowhere, fam. Methinks he knows a ton of stuff that isn't public and that question about using Whedon footage poked the bear a little bit.

Another interesting tidbit is business about Junkie XL's score. Snyder says about 37 minutes in that he heard some of it back in the old days and some stuff was complete enough to begin working with. But he emphasizes that there's more still to come. So it sounds like Junkie completed some of the score but had all of it written.

This was new information for me, at least. The broad consensus before now was that Junkie had written everything that he needed but it was up for grabs if anything was recorded or worked on in any way prior to Snyder's exit.

Still, you'd think that scoring an episodic release could differ significantly from scoring a feature film. Will new music be necessary? Who even knows anymore?

All I know for sure is that ZSJL is the first comic book movie to come along in a few years that I'm genuinely excited about.

And thanks for posting all this stuff here. I really didn't want to have go hunting for it on YouTube.

You're very welcome. Looking back, I kinda regret not putting a timestamp on key topics per each video, but that would've taken me forever to do.  :-[

The other big detail that caught my attention is Snyder confessed he is trying to work out the copyright issues that might prevent him from calling his cut "Zack Snyder's Justice League". I reckon under the circumstances of how we got here, he should be allowed to name his film however he wants, copyright be damned. But I don't make the rules.

From Variety:

Comic-Con@Home didn't even generate the buzziest fan event of the weekend. On Saturday, director Zack Snyder appeared on the independent fan convention JusticeCon to debut a short clip from his upcoming "Snyder Cut" of "Justice League" that revealed Superman's black suit. Notably, the panel — which logged over 260,000 views in less than 48 hours — was live, allowing Snyder to spend nearly an hour interacting with the very fans who brought about the Snyder Cut in the first place.

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/comic-con-at-home-analysis-walking-dead-new-mutants-1234717509/

Admittedly, CC was undermined by a lack of studio presence thanks to the pandemic. But it's a great effort by Justice Con nonetheless.

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Wed, 29 Jul  2020, 13:05
From Variety:

Comic-Con@Home didn't even generate the buzziest fan event of the weekend. On Saturday, director Zack Snyder appeared on the independent fan convention JusticeCon to debut a short clip from his upcoming "Snyder Cut" of "Justice League" that revealed Superman's black suit. Notably, the panel — which logged over 260,000 views in less than 48 hours — was live, allowing Snyder to spend nearly an hour interacting with the very fans who brought about the Snyder Cut in the first place.

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/comic-con-at-home-analysis-walking-dead-new-mutants-1234717509/

Admittedly, CC was undermined by a lack of studio presence thanks to the pandemic. But it's a great effort by Justice Con nonetheless.
Yeah I was wondering when that would get brought up. SDCC got served, no two ways about it. Making matters worse, they got upstaged by a fan con. Worst of all, it was a pro-Snyderverse con. That was all anybody was talking about over the weekend.

SDCC has been Hollywood's dumping ground for everything in recent years, no matter how unrelated to comics that stuff might be. But this weekend, they discovered there's no substitute for genuine passion and enthusiasm.

Any doubts I ever had about ZSJL's commercial viability just went out the window. The other Hollywood studios would do well to learn some lessons here.

The best comparison over the weekend was the snoozefest Star Trek panel compared to Snyder's extended interview. Even Stevie Wonder can see a difference in the respective audience's passion and enthusiasm.

Lessons, Hollywood. Learn them!