Will the Snyder cut appear on HBO Max?

Started by The Laughing Fish, Fri, 7 Feb 2020, 10:52

Previous topic - Next topic
Tue, 19 May 2020, 06:42 #20 Last Edit: Tue, 19 May 2020, 12:53 by The Laughing Fish
Quote from: thecolorsblend on Tue, 19 May  2020, 04:43
That's the razor's edge with releasing the Snyder cut, I think. Because we fans are willing to accept a brokered peace if the Snyder cut is released in a form that's close enough to Snyder's vision to pass muster.

BUT. I think (again, this is based on nothing) that if the Snyder cut is released and is as big of a hackjob as Superman II: The Donner Cut, this really will be war. Because there will only be one Snyder cut. Nobody is getting a second bite at that apple. The Snyder cut can't be done on the cheap. Somebody will have to spend the money necessary to do the job right. If it has Arrowverse-caliber CGI, there will be no forgiveness and no peace.

Somebody involved with this process had better count the cost. Somebody had better be ready to kick everything that even resembles an ass with completing the movie. Because fans will suffer fools badly when it comes to the Snyder cut. Nothing less than amazing will be acceptable at this point.

We're in no mood to compromise. We did that once already; never again.

If a deal is about to be made, I hope Snyder gets to have the final say on the final product and he's happy with it, before putting it out there. As I mentioned many times before, Snyder has said he'd like to polish the film to satisfy his liking, even though he has insisted the film is otherwise done.

But thanks to this catastrophic pandemic, I'm not really sure if we have a choice in avoiding a compromise.

As it's already mentioned in this thread, Hollywood, like every other industry in the world, is in lockdown. Any hopes that Snyder had to do additional filming is not going happen thanks to COVID-19. If it means, say, Harry Lennix will have to miss out as Martian Manhunter, I really hate to say it, but so be it. At this stage, we don't know when COVID-19 will end and things will return to some form of normality. I'd hate to think this pandemic will last a couple of more years (doubtful, but let's say so for argument's sake) and the film is still getting delayed, because it's still not safe to fully restore to what was originally envisioned.

Only Snyder and the higher-ups know what the situation is, let's hope they make the right call.

Furthermore re: COVID-19, I've been reading a lot speculation how film and TV in Hollywood won't be the same again, like a lot of industries out there. The stuff I've read ranges how ancillary jobs such as Assistant Directors will be obsolete, to actors will have to follow crazy guidelines to finish their own makeup and costume fitting. It's insane. Whether that's true or not, expect a lot of people who put in hard work behind the scenes to be impacted horribly because of this bastard virus.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

MOS watch party with Snyder is happening on Wednesday, May 20. It's been moved ahead, sooner than originally planned. Snyder cut announcement made during the watch party?

^Damn it, I posted the Vero link on the BvS sub-forum but you already beat me to it.

At the end of the BvS commentary, he jokingly said they should make a sequel to the movie before the livestream got cut off. This whole thing really does sound like it's planned.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Tue, 19 May  2020, 12:48Snyder cut announcement made during the watch party?

This has been spotted in LA:

Good find, TDK!

More and more articles are making the rounds but they're mostly just perpetuating existing rumors.

What I find interesting tho is how none of this is getting denied. Snyder could sign on to Vero right now and put the kibosh on this entire thing. If I was in his shoes and the fans were expecting a huge announcement during my MOS watch party when I knew nothing like that was coming, I would make it my business to emphasize on social media that no such announcement is forthcoming.

That's not happening tho. As far as I know, it's been total radio silence from Snyder. As might be expected if he is sitting on The Big News.

I could be wrong but this is starting to look pretty legit, fam.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Tue, 19 May  2020, 22:55
I could be wrong but this is starting to look pretty legit, fam.

I have a good vibe, but still keeping a lid on things for karma purposes. But indeed, streaming is the way to go. As the intent of this article says, SnyderLeague would put HBO Max in an unparalleled position:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/travisbean/2020/05/19/zack-snyders-justice-league-would-elevate-hbo-max-to-an-unparalleled-position/#6898f1005086

They also make a good point about a three hour type runtime being a non issue for home viewing. I don't know if they'd later release it on Blu-ray, but I'm 100% positive someone would make a copy of the stream anyway. If this actually happens, I think the studio has been strongarmed. Affleck is done but this would give him a sense of closure I didn't think would arrive (or at least wiping 50 years off the wait time), turning a perceived flop into a masterpiece. And truly on equal par with Keaton. Thanks, corona!

Snyder uploaded a video of Momoa declaring his support yet again.

https://vero.co/zacksnyder/z-6kMkBSf7fFQcBK8dnsSFxC

It's very coordinated. If there isn't any good news coming tomorrow then the backlash against Warner is going to be severe.

Snyder just shared this at the end of his MOS Watch Party on Vero:

Finally...it's happening. Too bad we have to wait for another year though.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Tue, 19 May  2020, 23:05
Thanks, corona!

Don't be a f***ing idiot. Thank the fans who made this happen. I know I will.

I reassert that there is a risk here that if the production quality isn't A-level then we're back to square zero. In fact, we're probably even further back than that because there won't be any do-overs this time.

Snyder runs a tight ship. And he's kind of famous for wringing every last bit of value from every penny of production budget he's given. So maybe my concerns here are all for naught.

I'm just saying I want the best possible presentation for the film. And maybe I'm concerned about nothing.

Either way, good job to the fans who championed this. I was an early skeptic about the specifics of the existence of a Snyder cut and I still don't know how much work needs to be done to finish it. I supported releasing the Snyder cut but I was hardly a loud voice demanding it. The credit goes to the fans who were loudly demanding it.

Congratulations to the fans for getting the ball across the line. And congratulations to Zack Snyder for never giving up on his vision.

PS- The very fact that he supports the release of his cut and wants to finish the job himself, I think, reinforces my black helicopter conspiracy theory that he didn't leave the production voluntarily. But I guess we'll never know for sure.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Wed, 20 May  2020, 18:37
PS- The very fact that he supports the release of his cut and wants to finish the job himself, I think, reinforces my black helicopter conspiracy theory that he didn't leave the production voluntarily. But I guess we'll never know for sure.

Good article here that gives some insight:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/justice-league-snyder-cut-plans-revealed-it-will-be-an-new-thing-1295102

I'm confident he was pushed out. Snyder isn't going to trash the studio in such an announcement where he gets what he wants, but reading between the lines you can see that corona has played a part in supercharging the project. I wouldn't be surprised if after Snyder did the studio pitch in February nothing much happened at that stage. They heard him out, and he outlined what would be required to complete his vision.

They say executives were pumped, but it seems the commitment only came after corona struck, with March and April being key. Snyder had to bite his tongue after the course correction, so I imagine WB are having to do some of that now. HBO executives being involved would have to play a part in that.

As Deborah Snyder says, right now is the right time as visual effects houses are running out of work. SnyderLeague has work to be done, but it's manageable. Agreeing 20 odd million for added filming or funding an entire film? They have something to build off here at least. Snyder had leverage. I maintain that money would've been harder to get before now.

In any case it's happening and via streaming, meaning we'll end up with the real whole thing. Even more than we received with BvS's UE. Which is awesome. I would prefer a full length movie without cliffhangers, but wouldn't mind an episodic format either if that's what Snyder goes with. The production quality of the extra filming quality should fit in with the other material fine, I think. I'm not concerned about that, especially as it's vital for the project.