Batman Returns and The Comics

Started by BatmAngelus, Sat, 19 Jul 2008, 18:03

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Darrell Kaiser on Wed,  7 Jan  2009, 06:42
Has anyone ever notice that Batman's handwritting on the note to The Penguin is actually Bob Kane's?
Really?

Why did Michael Uslan say on the B&R DVD that Returns was Tim Burton's tribute to the Batman comics of the 1990's? When the script was handed in they were only a year into the decade.

I always thought the late-80's, early-40's and TDKR were more like the movie.

I always thought Uslan meant that the Burton flicks accurately reflected the pervading darkness of the 90's comics (which were darker than any decade previous, except maybe the 30's/early 40's)... whereas Joel Shlockmaker's films didn't.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Thu,  8 Jan  2009, 22:45
I always thought Uslan meant that the Burton flicks accurately reflected the pervading darkness of the 90's comics (which were darker than any decade previous, except maybe the 30's/early 40's)... whereas Joel Shlockmaker's films didn't.

A-ha, that actually makes more sense! :D

Wed, 14 Jan 2009, 23:29 #84 Last Edit: Thu, 15 Jan 2009, 04:54 by BatmAngelus
Just to let you guys know, our fellow forum poster, Gregg Bray, was on the BOF podcast on Batman-on-Film.
The Batman Returns and the Comics feature on this site is mentioned during a discussion on Penguin.  Specific examples mentioned are Penguin framing Batman, Penguin eating raw fish (as noticed by thecolorsblend), Penguin and the penguin army, the flamethrower umbrella, & umbrella copter (all recognized by Silver Nemesis), as well as Catwoman images from Her Sister's Keeper (also noticed by Silver Nemesis).

http://www.batman-on-film.com/podcasts_menu.html
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

Thu, 15 Jan 2009, 03:52 #85 Last Edit: Thu, 15 Jan 2009, 03:54 by thecolorsblend
Hmm.  Bray doesn't sound like I expected.  As for the rest, PJ is pretty evident.  So's Jett.  Who're those other Jokers?

EDIT- Where does the comics angle pop up?  This sucker's 80 minutes long!

Do you mean to imply that Jett knows a ton of other Limeys named Paul with strong opinions on Burton's Batman films???

Thu, 15 Jan 2009, 04:43 #88 Last Edit: Thu, 15 Jan 2009, 15:35 by BatmAngelus
QuoteEDIT- Where does the comics angle pop up?  This sucker's 80 minutes long!
Sorry.  Around 14:10 or so

I know that Sean, the host, is ManWhoLaughs.  Other than him, Jett, and Gregg, I don't know.
EDIT: And my mistake- it's not PJ.
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

Thu, 15 Jan 2009, 08:17 #89 Last Edit: Thu, 15 Jan 2009, 08:58 by thecolorsblend
Quote from: BatmAngelus on Thu, 15 Jan  2009, 04:43I know that Sean, the host, is ManWhoLaughs.
Should've known.  I'll say no more.

EDIT- I'll say no more about him anyway.  However, listening to this thing once again reminds us of how clueless Jett really is. 54:25'ish: "Ya know, Batman Returns, there's a contingent of fans that grew up with that film and that's Batman for them.  And they're so emotionally tied to that film that they can't let go of it and I respect that but, ya know, c'mon guys, THAT'S NOT BATMAN, that's Tim Burton's version of what Batman is."

That's right jerkoff, my appreciation of the movie is based STRICTLY on nostalgia... nevermind that it came out when I was 12 and I didn't LOVE it until I was 25, Jett says it's all about nostalgia and he knows all, right?

Prick.

Incidentally, if someone ever says "I respect you but..." they don't respect you, and they're about to say so.