Batathon Time Lapse Video

Started by CarterOfMars, Mon, 8 Aug 2011, 16:17

Previous topic - Next topic
This weekend my friends hosted a Batman movie marathon.  This was the third time this year they've hosted something like this.  The first was a James Bond marathon over 3 days and then a Star Trek marathon over 2.  Batman lasted just a day, starting at 8 am with the Adam West film.  As per tradition, after each film, scores are taken from the audience and an average score is presented.  Check out the video to find out how all of the movies did!

Thanks for the link Carter.  Very interesting.

By the way, who's the twit (believe me I wanted to use a much harsher word to describe him, but restrained myself out of site diplomacy) who rated Batman '1' and Batman Returns '0'?  His scores really brought down their averages.  I know it may be out of order for me to say so but if he's your friend, you really need to start cutting him out of your life.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

That "twit" was none other than....me!  I'm not a fan of those movies at all.  Originally I planned on staying for the whole event (and would have ranked the Schumacher movies equally as low) but I had a friends going away party to go to.  The night before I did see a 35mm print of "Batman Begins" and I probably would have given that, "The Dark Knight" and "Mask of the Phantasm" all 9s.

Quote from: CarterOfMars on Mon,  8 Aug  2011, 19:14
That "twit" was none other than....me!  I'm not a fan of those movies at all.  Originally I planned on staying for the whole event (and would have ranked the Schumacher movies equally as low) but I had a friends going away party to go to.  The night before I did see a 35mm print of "Batman Begins" and I probably would have given that, "The Dark Knight" and "Mask of the Phantasm" all 9s.

:D  Whoops!  Seems funny since this is primarily a Burton Batman fan site.  Not to say that this isn't the place for contrary views but there are so many Nolan Batman fansites out there, that it does seem slightly odd that anyone who disliked the Burton Batmans as much as you do would want to spend time here (I mean it's not as if you merely gave the Burton's mediocre scores.  You really seem to hate them... >:().

I despise them. I really see no difference between them and the Schumacher movies and so ultimately I agree with the numerical rankings (they're the final 4) if not the actual scores.

I'm here because I found this site very inspirational while I was working on the soundtrack albums for La-La Land Records.  Look closely in the video and you might even see me holding them in front of the camera. :)

Quote from: CarterOfMars on Mon,  8 Aug  2011, 19:22
I despise them. I really see no difference between them and the Schumacher movies and so ultimately I agree with the numerical rankings (they're the final 4) if not the actual scores.

I'm here because I found this site very inspirational while I was working on the soundtrack albums for La-La Land Records.  Look closely in the video and you might even see me holding them in front of the camera. :)

Thanks for not getting offended by my rudeness.  I appreciate your diplomacy, even if I don't appreciate your virulent dislike of Burton's Batman films.   ;)

Still, I'm guessing (or maybe just assuming), you're a fan of Danny Elfman's Bat-scores.  If that is the case, it surprises me that you've rated Burton's Batman films quite so lowly.  I respect that a lot of people don't like Burton's Batman-films, but '0' for Returns, and only '1' for Batman?  Really?  Be honest now, was that simply attempt to bring down their overall averages in favour of Nolan's Batman-films, because if that was the case, you definitely succeeded?

There was never any chance of the Burton films beating the Nolan films.  Just look at the scores.  I genuinely dislike the Burton films (and Burton films in general).  My reason for going was to hang out with friends and make/eat Jiffy Pop.  I wish I could have stayed all day.

The Joker's scheme is beyond stupid in Batman.  Tainted products?  It'd be a lot more threatening if it ever effected the main characters in the film, but it only seems to effect newscasters and super models.  There's no threat at all.  The fake $1 bills were cut out of the movie, which would have added some menace and overall it's just a misguided mess of a movie.

Regarding the music, I actually find the score to Batman annoying in the film.  Not only is it poorly recorded and mixed, there's too much of it.  There are some sequences where music is playing, and it just shouldn't be, and what is playing is boring and not adding anything to the scene.  I do enjoy the 50 minute album presentation of the score which trims the fat and is arranged for a much better listening experience and sounds much better.

Batman Returns is a film I find completely off-putting.  The Penguin is gross, Batman is hardly in it (if you want to even consider the poorly written part Michael Keaton plays Batman) and there's too much going on that never amounts to anything.  I'm very proud of the 2-disc album though and can listen to that and not be reminded of the film since I've blocked it out of my memory.

Quote from: CarterOfMars on Mon,  8 Aug  2011, 21:35
I actually find the score to Batman annoying in the film.  Not only is it poorly recorded and mixed, there's too much of it.  There are some sequences where music is playing, and it just shouldn't be, and what is playing is boring and not adding anything to the scene.  I do enjoy the 50 minute album presentation of the score which trims the fat and is arranged for a much better listening experience and sounds much better.

You should have put that in the liner notes  ;)

Cool video btw

Quote from: CarterOfMars on Mon,  8 Aug  2011, 19:22
I'm here because I found this site very inspirational while I was working on the soundtrack albums for La-La Land Records.

That's cool, and actually a little flattering. All you guys should be proud!

Quote from: CarterOfMars on Mon,  8 Aug  2011, 21:35
Batman Returns is a film I find completely off-putting.  The Penguin is gross, Batman is hardly in it (if you want to even consider the poorly written part Michael Keaton plays Batman) and there's too much going on that never amounts to anything.  I'm very proud of the 2-disc album though and can listen to that and not be reminded of the film since I've blocked it out of my memory.

What I'm about to state won't endear me to you or a lot of the people on this site but your last paragraph does turn me off your 2-disc album slightly.  The fact that you disliked the films I can accept, but to produce a 2-disc CD to a score you don't seem to particularly like I find quite baffling, and gives the impression (rightly or wrongly) that it was not a 'labour of love' for you but more of an (admittedly accomplished) technical exercise.

Once again, I apologise for my comments since I imagine they're going to annoy a lot of people around here, but I'm just being honest, as you have been (and for which I respect you for).

As to the fact that Nolan's films would have still come out on top even if you had not taken part, that's undeniable, but the averages for Batman and Batman Returns would not have been anywhere near as low, bearing in mind that, if memory serves me correctly, you were the only person to give the film a score lower than '5'.  I haven't done the maths (excuse me for my laziness in not rewatching the video link), but had you're scores not been included I believe Batman and possibly Batman Returns might have ranked higher than Batman 1966, which is not even as good as the 60s TV series IMHO, let alone Burton's far more accomplished and serious movies.