Batman OnStar Commercials

Started by Slash Man, Thu, 7 Jul 2011, 06:02

Previous topic - Next topic
I've searched, and it doesn't appear this series of commercials were discussed here. I guess I'll be the first to start the conversation. Basically, in the early 2000s, OnStar was looking for an effective way to advertise their new car safety features. So someone had a great idea; what about Batman? So six commercials in all were created, using various props, and possibly sets from the 1989-1997 film series (even the legendary actor Michael Gough returned as Alfred). They turned out great, looking like any other big-budget Batman movie, and the ad campagne was successful.

If you haven't seen the commercials, here they are on YouTube.

Personally, I was blown away by the quality of these; who knew a series of TV ads could do justice to Batman? The acting was great, and action was great, and props really made it fit in with the current Batman movies. In addition to myself, I'm sure many other fans were pleased to see the Burton Batmobile ripping up the streets again. The suit looked pretty good as well; it's based off the Batman & Robin suit, but they added modifications to make it look more classic (also making it look more like the first Keaton suit). Bruce Thomas was also a great Batman, and he was rewarded by reprising his role in the Birds of Prey pilot. The villains were also straight out of the comics, Joker's exaggerated makeup made him look accurate as ever, the Penguin looked like he did in Batman Returns, and the Riddler looked like he did in Batman Forever, but with a bit more comic influence. All-in-all, thank you, OnStar, for giving us a kickass series of Batman commercials.

They never aired where I live, so I discovered them through the internet. In those days with the Bat-franchise in limbo, these commercials felt like an extension of the movies 'verse, their visuals a mix of BF (without the disco lights) with some B89. Loved the Riddler's look, an improvement on Jim Carrey's leotard. The only thing I never liked was the look of the Joker, it seems that they attempted a literal translation of the comics look into live action, and this approach rarely works. They are cheesy too, the Batmobile/Penguin chase would be totally ridiculous in a movie (it's like a boss fight!) but none more cheesy than the B89/BR diet coke commercials! I'd love to have them in better quality.

Yeah, would've been a great special feature to the 1989-1997 Anthology set.