Michael Gough 1916 - 2011

Started by Paul (ral), Thu, 17 Mar 2011, 12:04

Previous topic - Next topic
Thu, 17 Mar 2011, 12:04 Last Edit: Thu, 17 Mar 2011, 12:15 by Paul (ral)

Michael Gough, our beloved Alfred Pennyworth has died today. He was 94 (or 95 - he was never sure).

Gough was married four times – his third wife being Doctor Who actor Anneke Wills. Wills had encountered him at various times during her life – firstly during a theatre trip with her mother in 1952 – but they first met formally, on the set of 'Candidate for Murder' and the attraction was instant. Gough adopted Anneke's daughter Polly, and in 1965, their son Jasper was born.

Wills said: "As his body was deteriorating this week, he said that he wanted to hang on for St Patrick's Day. And he did, just. In the end... there is only love."

Michael Gough leaves his wife Henrietta, his daughter Emma and sons Simon and Jasper (Yogi).
His grandchildren Samuel and Daisy are also actors.

Released in February 2011, 'All Star Superman' features one last outing for his legendary and unique voice.

Source: http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2011/03/dwn110311121050-michael-gough-celestial.html

Some interviews with Michael from 1989 and 1995:
http://www.batmanmovieonline.com/articles.php?showarticle=45
http://www.batmanmovieonline.com/articles.php?showarticle=26

Thu, 17 Mar 2011, 14:00 #1 Last Edit: Thu, 17 Mar 2011, 14:05 by Kamdan
R.I.P.

This is sad news. I actually met Anneke Wills when I was 12. She was a nice lady, though I had no idea at the time she'd been married to Alfred.
People often forget that he also played Alfred in the BBC's Lazarus Syndrome and Knightfall radio dramas, as well as the OnStar commercials. He must have liked the role to keep returning to it.
He also appeared in some of my favourite horror films: Dracula (1958), Dr. Terror's House of Horrors (1965) and Sleepy Hollow (1999). Then there was his turn as the bad guy in a classic episode of the The Avengers where he played a mad scientist who built a group of karate-killer robots. I remember him playing Leo Tolstoy in an episode of The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles too.
Add to that two memorable appearances in Doctor Who, five collaborations with Tim Burton, and supporting roles in movies as diverse as The Legend of Hell House (1973), Top Secret! (1984) and Out of Africa (1985), and it all amounts to a long and impressive career.

This is really sad news, I feel so depressed. I knew he was very old but still... I loved him as Alfred, he gave the character depth and that fatherly figure in Bruce Wayne's life in Burton's two bat-films. He remains my absolute favourite. I was actually just ready to watch All-Star Superman, before I decided to check this site. That film was his last performance, coincidentally, voice performance that is. Life is ironic, isn't it?

I never met him, but I respected him as an actor, my sincere condolensces to his family and friends.

Alfred has gone to the bat-cave in the sky
I never knew him but I deeply sigh
He gave his support to the saviour of Gotham
He will never be forgotten and that's no sham

There have been other Alfreds, future and past
But I think this is the one that will last
May his soul rest and spirit sing
As he's ushered to the skies on giant bat-wings.

Thu, 17 Mar 2011, 17:37 #4 Last Edit: Thu, 17 Mar 2011, 17:43 by THE BAT-MAN
This is sad news indeed.  To me, Michael Gough is and will always be Alfred.  I too, have enjoyed his early works from Walt Disney's The Sword and the Rose, to the Hammer Horror films which also co star actors Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee and finally to the Tim Burton films.  He will indeed be missed.

This sucks, now Burton can't sneak him somewhere into his Dark Shadows "re-imagining." His final cameo for Burton is the Dodo Bird. Sigh.

@Kamdan: Ha, beat me to it. You rule.

The Legend Will Never Die:
http://www.youtube.com/v/mMOCNfT-8Jw

Thanks for the vid! Gough truly had a great presence on screen. He will be sorely missed.

Now I won't see him as the much elderly Alfred in Batman Beyond. Sigh!

Unless they CGI his head on another actor's body...it can work.

This is extremely shocking news.  I have been at work all day and this is one of the first sites I turn to when I get back home so I am truly sad to read of his passing away.

As much as I adore Michaal Caine as an actor, the compassionate and fatherly Michael Gough will always be my ideal 'Alfred'.  Rest in Peace Michael Gough.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Thu, 17 Mar  2011, 20:25
Michael Gough will always be my ideal 'Alfred'.  Rest in Peace Michael Gough.

I second that, Rest in Peace.  :(

Fri, 18 Mar 2011, 03:04 #9 Last Edit: Fri, 18 Mar 2011, 03:07 by The Dark Knight
You know, I was just thinking about Michael last week, and went out of my way to listen to the audio adaption of Knightfall. Needless to say, his calm and composed Alfred will always be "my" Alfred. He lived a long life and had an equally long career. A true gentleman. RIP.