The first full trailer has been released!

Started by The Laughing Fish, Sat, 11 Jul 2015, 21:34

Previous topic - Next topic
That was one of the most impressive trailers I've seen recently, I might be biased because it's Batman, but I feel more excited for the movie than ever before. Yeah, their Lex looks more like Edward Nygma, but I look forward to everything else about it.

I probably would be more bothered by Lex if it weren't for two factors: a) his look reminds me a bit of the young Lex in Birthright, especially in the shot where he's standing over Superman and b) the official picture from awhile back showed that Eisenberg would be bald as Lex at some point (presumably later in the film). Sure, I'd prefer him to feel closer to the DCAU Lex brought to life, but I'll have to see more before judging whether or not Snyder made the right call here.
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

Overall I'm liking what I'm seeing;

-Batman's clearly going to be serious but it looks like instead of playing the ultra dreary Christian Bale version, Affleck will be more of the no-nonsense Keaton mold. This character looks like he's been through enough crap for one life time and he's not letting any more collateral damage happen. He's stubborn and will take things into his own hands.
-Superman clearly being set up as the villain.
-Wonder woman looks good

Not sold on Eisenberg as Luthor. I get that he can have different looks (though i prefer the balding one) but one trait should be the evil leadership abilities. This Eisenberg doesn't look like he could be the head of state or anything. He's a funny actor but Lex should have many hats, be evil in a way that he can inspire people and deceive them into thinking he's doing good.

Here are things that I've liked, with a few observations.

Affleck's Batman seems to be proactive than what we've seen previously. Some people might complain that he is blinded by the anti-Superman rhetoric, but I argue that illustrates his cynical nature perfectly. Every time I see Superman and Batman interact with each other in comics or TV shows, the former tends to be trusting of people and believes in their ability to show compassion, whereas the latter needs to be on top of his game all the time, and as such, he has to think the worst thing that could possibly happen.

As previously mentioned, I liked what I've seen from Affleck's body language so far, the rage in his eyes after he rescued that little girl and the letter he receives shows the kind of intensity I hadn't seen since Michael Keaton. I just hope he doesn't screw up with the voice.

As I said when the teaser was released a few months ago, I like how the film looks to fulfill its promise surrounding the repercussions over the events in MOS. Consequence seems like a very important theme here, and I like how Superman seemingly benefits from his own character arc and how he will make the choice of continuing on as the world's greatest hero despite initial resentment from the wider global community. I've been critical of DC-based films in the past for being too serious for their own good, and one of my reasons is because they don't really explore any of the themes they're celebrated for having. But now with TV's Daredevil, Winter Soldier, even MOS to a certain extent, proving you can do "dark and gritty" AND provide real character development and have themes both reflect in dialogue and in the action, I think this movie can deliver that.

I like the line "Twenty years in Gotham...how many good guys are left?". Never mind that this Batman had years of experience under his belt, but he faced lots of tragedies along the way, which to me, makes his character feel rich already, and explains why he doesn't trust Superman. I'm intrigued why Wayne Manor is in such a state of disrepair. Alfred looks like the voice of reason trying to snap Bruce out of his stubbornness, I wonder if the tension between the two is continuing from a possible falling-out with each other?

Some people are complaining about Ma Kent's line "You don't owe this world a thing", because they think she's being "a bad mother". I disagree. I say she's being protective over Clark and wants to let him know that he should only take this overwhelming responsibility as Superman because he chooses to, not because he feels burdened by some level of guilt.

My only nitpicks is that Eisenberg doesn't do it for me at the moment, and I wish the Batcave actually looked like a bat-cave instead of Iron Man's bunker. Otherwise, I do like the direction where this film is going.

By the way, the more I look at that graffiti Robin suit, the more I'd be really surprised if Jared Leto's Joker doesn't appear in a cameo.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Fishy, I love the comparison between Supes and Batsy. I guess part of that may be the difference in who they are, I mean Superman can afford to be friendly to everyone he meets. If they try to whack him with a baseball bat or shoot him or something when he turns his back, bad day for them lol. Batman doesn't have that luxury, and all the toys and all the know how and all his strength and everything won't do him one damn bit of good if he lets someone get the drop on him, so he just totally refuses to allow that to happen. He never switches off, and it has to be kind of draining at times. Maybe that explains some of his weariness and why the Manor has gone to hell and all that.

Glad someone else is as impressed with Ben's body language as I am (I hope it's my previous mentions that you mentioned were previously mentioned lol).

The thing I love about this is that as "gritty" or whatever as it is supposed to be, it still has the fantasy aspect that Christopher Nolan and his sheeple tried to destroy as being part of Batman (not the character himself but the whole dealio). Of course most of that is with Supes, like the mere fact that he's Supes lol, and plus I think that is Kryptonite that Edwa...I mean Lex is looking at.

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Mon, 13 Jul  2015, 10:57
I'm intrigued why Wayne Manor is in such a state of disrepair.
I think there's a key reason for this. There's a chance this Bruce has few living allies left. Robin killed - (a tombstone of a very well known character has been spotted during filming also) and maybe Gordon has bitten the dust. The Manor for Bruce may be a place of death and bad memories, with the graveyard nearby. Apparently this Bruce lives in a smaller cottage near a lake. If Batman is a loner with few allies left, that would make sense for the Justice League to be his new family.

Good answer TDK. Affleck has been saying this Batman that he is portraying will be the darkest yet, so it does make sense that he lost a lot of allies and friends along the way. I can definitely see his membership with the Justice League giving him another chance to regain some sort of family connection that he has lost so many times.

I like how we'll be seeing Desert Strike Batman in action.

Way more adventurous than getting stuck in a hole in the middle of who knows where.  ;)

Somebody also posted together a GIF of Zod firing his heat vision from MOS together with Bruce Wayne witnessing the destruction from the trailer. Note the continuity with the heat vision as it fires. Despite what Henry Cavill says, BvS definitely looks like a sequel to MOS.

And is it just me, or does Alfred's look seem inspired by Robert Downey Jr wearing glasses?

QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Fri, 17 Jul  2015, 10:30
Somebody also posted together a GIF of Zod firing his heat vision from MOS together with Bruce Wayne witnessing the destruction from the trailer. Note the continuity with the heat vision as it fires. Despite what Henry Cavill says, BvS definitely looks like a sequel to MOS.
This is absolutely a sequel to Man of Steel, so I don't know why Cavill says otherwise. It continues and develops those events. I like how they've placed Bruce in Metropolis during Zod's invasion, too. This Bruce may be emotionally scarred but he's still a human being who cares and protects for the greater public.

And by Zod destroying a Wayne building with Wayne employees inside, Bruce has added reason to be wary of these Kryptonians and their power levels. With the groundwork Man of Steel left, they've approached the sequel in the right way.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Fri, 17 Jul  2015, 12:36
This is absolutely a sequel to Man of Steel, so I don't know why Cavill says otherwise. It continues and develops those events. I like how they've placed Bruce in Metropolis during Zod's invasion, too. This Bruce may be emotionally scarred but he's still a human being who cares and protects for the greater public.

And by Zod destroying a Wayne building with Wayne employees inside, Bruce has added reason to be wary of these Kryptonians and their power levels. With the groundwork Man of Steel left, they've approached the sequel in the right way.
I completely agree The Dark Knight.

I had some misgiving about Man of Steel particularly the seemingly interminable climactic fight between Superman and Zod, but now we've had a glimpse of the follow-up movie it all makes sense, including the 9/11 type devastation of Metropolis and its impact on other (anonymous) superheroes, Supes killing Zod, and why this isn't the happy, trouble-free Superman of the Christopher Reeve films but a much more brooding, borderline pariah, super-being.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Sun, 12 Jul  2015, 19:41
I didn't care for what I saw of Lex Luthor either, looks wise or in terms of what we saw of Eisenberg's kooky, creepy performance (where's the whole 'Brad Pitt mixed with Richard Branson' vibe Snyder promised us?

I know, right?!?

Loved the trailer, but yeah, if there is a negative, it's Eisenberg as Lex. Which is about what I expected, or possibly, even WORSE than I expected to be perfectly honest here. Really hate to make such a judgement call on the little bit I've seen of his interpretation, but jeez, it's anything but positive for me.

Everything else looked aces to me.

Was kinda surprised to see the couple of less-than-subtle references to the Joker so early, but I can't say that I wasn't digging that stuff either! Even Gadot's Wonder Woman, from the very brief glimpses we see, looked serviceable. Which I'm sure will be the case, as Snyder will give her moments to shine, just like the beautiful Antje Traue had with Faora in Man of Steel.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."