The Original Ending?

Started by Seantastic, Sat, 25 Jul 2009, 15:50

Previous topic - Next topic
Well, in the S.E DVD they say that the ending was changed to the one in the Church, which is great I may add. However, I've alays wondered, what was the original ending?

And, with this site beeing so huge and having many resources, I juts thought that people here might have heard about this?

Thanks

The original ending was the Joker and Batman facing off alone in the tower. No Vale and no Goons.
"Excuse me. You ever danced with the devil by the pale moonlight?"

wasn't vicki supposed to be dead by that point?

Quote from: catwoman on Sat, 25 Jul  2009, 18:39
wasn't vicki supposed to be dead by that point?

I read someone else's post alleging that Vicki was meant to be dead.  As far as I knew, the only person other person to die in Sam Hamm's original screenplay was Alexander Knox.

Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Sat, 25 Jul 2009, 18:44 #5 Last Edit: Sat, 25 Jul 2009, 18:53 by PJ
I have read a lot of drafts and I even have storyboards depicting the ending which featured Dick Grayson. I have never read a version where Vicki dies. Knox yes. Vale no.
"Excuse me. You ever danced with the devil by the pale moonlight?"

Quote from: catwoman on Sat, 25 Jul  2009, 18:42
wow. how'd she die?

I don't know.  I thought you did.  You're the one who brought it up.  All I said was that I read someone else on another board mention it.  As far as I know, they could have been talking nonsense.  I can't see why the filmmakers would kill off the female lead - ir'd be a pretty major downer if they had.

Quote from: PJ on Sat, 25 Jul  2009, 18:38
The original ending was the Joker and Batman facing off alone in the tower. No Vale and no Goons.

Really, I would have thought it would have been totally different, oh well, nothing can beat the beating Batman gave to the Joker

btw, I am guessing that you are the same PJ from WF, if so, great to see another WF'er ;)

Plus, can I ask, to anyone, how would have Knox died, just from the Smylex or wat?

I gotta admit, Peters was right about changing the ending. It would have been excellent for a comic book fan's perspective, but not for a average movie-goer's perspective. They want to see Batman save the girl! However, that cliche has WIDELY overused (Sam Rami, I'm talking to you!). Iron Man was great at breaking that mold. I thought Pepper was going to be kidnapped, but she got away with it! Now, Rami... FOLLOW THAT EXAMPLE!

Quote from: Seantastic on Sat, 25 Jul  2009, 18:59
Quote from: PJ on Sat, 25 Jul  2009, 18:38

Really, I would have thought it would have been totally different, oh well, nothing can beat the beating Batman gave to the Joker

btw, I am guessing that you are the same PJ from WF, if so, great to see another WF'er ;)

Plus, can I ask, to anyone, how would have Knox died, just from the Smylex or wat?

I think Knox died when he was launched from Vicki's car into the garbage bags.  As you'll recall, we never see him get up and it's only later at the press conference that he once again shows up which suggests a last-minute rewrite to me.  Like you suggest it was probably the Smilex that was meant to ultimately kill him.

Hey Darrell, I couldn't agree with you more.  The ending was practically perfect (give or take the shoddy effect of Jack plummeting to his death).  Also, as much as I like the Spiderman films, I think you're right - Sam Raimi does the whole 'damsel in distress' ending too often.  It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't always Mary-Jane who needed rescuing. ::)