Is Forever The Perfect Batman Film?

Started by Seantastic, Mon, 31 May 2010, 19:56

Previous topic - Next topic
Yes, I said it, is Forever the most Perfect Batman film?

This isn't to say its the best, or my favourate, IMO Returns is the best and always will be, but Forever to me will always be great, possibly my 3rd or 4th best, above TDK and BB tbh.

But back on track, why is it perfect, well, it has a dark tone, not as dark as Returns but (much) darker than B&R.  It also has a fairly simple story, yet because it's simple it makes it believable, but then to me, all the films have storylines which make sense, so yea.  But, it also has a comic sense to it, a tone which wasn't in the first two much, but dominated B&R (and is no where to be seen in Nolans films, just sayin'). Plus, it has an amzing soundtrack, lol, U2's "Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me" is great, I for one love it.

But yea, does anyone else agree that Forever may be the Perfect Batman Film

Quote from: Seantastic on Mon, 31 May  2010, 19:56
yet because it's simple it makes it believable

Brain waves...mind manipulation...

Quote from: ral on Mon, 31 May  2010, 23:36
yet because it's simple it makes it believable

Brain waves...mind manipulation...

thats what i was thinkin lol.

Who says brains can't be read?

Forever has a lot of flaws but I bet that it's the one bat film where a kid, parent, and grandparent can watch and enjoy. Batman and Robin is too childish, the other 4 are very adult oriented, Forever has a bit for everyone. It lightens things up but still has elements of darkness. It may also be the movie which features the most of Batman.

Tue, 1 Jun 2010, 03:55 #4 Last Edit: Tue, 1 Jun 2010, 04:14 by The Dark Knight
This isn't to say its the best, or my favourate
Oh, of course not. Judging by the thread title, just possibly the most perfect Batman movie ever made.

If anybody on this Earth believes Batman Forever is the perfect Batman film, they have had whatever is in their brain, highly likely something resmebling the size of a grain of sand, drained.

You do not get points, or tag of perfect Batman film, for establishing a balanced tone. Even though tone helps, you get points for what goes on in it. Batman Forever does not have a balanced tone in the first place, so let's not pretend it does. Neon camp and cheese dominates, with 'darkness' tacked on.

And if it is somewhat balanced, I'd rather a film go the whole way with a vibe and know what it is instead of trying to please everybody. Don't pretend to be something. Be it.  

Though let's forget all that trash that went on and give it this hyperbolic tag based on something that is nothing but a feeling. Something invisible.

Quote from: riddler on Tue,  1 Jun  2010, 02:01
Forever has a lot of flaws but
Massive understatement. And Doctor Phil says the stop listening once someone says but. Everything said before that but is the truth. What follows it is excuses and justifications.

Wow, I hate the hate Forever gets, it keeps on getting tied in with B&R when it's very far from, sure, its not as dark as the previous two, howver I wouldn't go as far as saying that the latest two are much darker than Forever, Forever was dark, it had a dark sub-plot, sure alot of it was cut, but still, the tone is still there.

And I wouldn't say this is my favourate Batfilm, but it is nearest to a perfect Batfilm as any, it has a comic book tone and plotline, and acting tbh, while it still keeps a darkness with the settings and subplot

Quote from: Seantastic on Tue,  1 Jun  2010, 12:45
And I wouldn't say this is my favourate Batfilm, but it is nearest to a perfect Batfilm as any, it has a comic book tone and plotline, and acting tbh, while it still keeps a darkness with the settings and subplot

Irrespective of whether it is 'more' of a comic-book movie than the others, it's simply not very well made IMO.  It's basically designed for kids with Attention Deficit Disorder, and makes me long for the relative subtelties and comparative intelligence of Burton and Nolan's Batman films. 

Sorry, Seantastic.  I'm not trying to be contrary on purpose but I was really disappointed when I first saw Forever, more so than when I saw Batmn & Robin since the frop-off in quality was far greater between Returns and Forever than it was between Forever and B&R IMO.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Nah dude, I see what your sayin, its just I can't think of anywere where the quality is decreased, if you acn tell me maybe I'll see better, but really, I feel its an amazing film, and I would pick it over both Begins and TDK any day, twice on a Sunday

There are some people arguing that when it comes to visuals, tone, action etc. Batman Forever is the most faithful to the comics Batman film. Burton's were maybe too "gothic", Nolan's too "realistic", while Batman Forever is like seeing the pages of a comic book come to life.

It has the perfect...Alfred.

Really, that Michael Gough dude rocks.