Finally!

Started by Seantastic, Mon, 5 Apr 2010, 19:59

Previous topic - Next topic
Finally I have all the episodes from the Batman:TAS, the real one, from the first years.  I bought the third Volume of the set, which marked my collection finsihed.

So, to give this meaning, what version did you like better, the first version, or the latter, where the it was all three battling instead of Bataman and at times Robin?

i prefer the first series

I felt like each had their own strengths and their own weaknesses.  The WB version had the redesigned (or just redrawn in some cases) look, crossovers with STAS and other things.  It ended prematurely but I think it could've been a lot better if it had been given a chance to find it's own identity.  Plus, every episode had Robin and Batgirl.  But on the downside, every episode had Robin and Batgirl.  So hmm.

On the other hand, the Fox/BTAS version had occasional animation issues (Batman with an overly large chin, an undersized chest emblem, etc).  But it had a ton of heart.

I also love the first seasons

i liked them both. it seemed like it got darker when it changed to wb though, like the episode with robin and the girl.

I loved both. Really no other way for me to frame it. Both had excellent story lines that pushed the boundary of 'kiddie' T.V. and balanced action adventure stories with gripping forays into serious drama/tragedy that could grab most adults by the throat. Both are still on a short list of tv shows classified as 'children's' that still satisfy me in every arena. That's key, I think. The shows touched base with every genre spot on. I will say I liked the WB version's animation better. Had an edge to it I find most appealing, in particular the direction they took with J-Man (Completely white face, black eyes). Beyond that, I lump them together for the most part. One and same kick ass...ness.

I like `em all. The earlier ones did have a more film noir feel so I guess I give that one the edge overall. I absolutely loved Two-Face's redesign in the WB episodes though. He looked meaner. Downside is the redesign of the Penguin. I thought he looked REALLY bland, especially compared to the DeVito inspired early look. I would have liked the latter Joker better if his lips were still red, but I liked the black eyes a lot! As for the Fox episodes, I think they got better when Sean Catherine Derek stepped down as script editor. Her approach apparently clashed with Timm and Co. and it shows. Alan Burnett and Paul Dini were absolute geniuses when it came to scripting. Another big plus for the original is using THE Batman theme in the opening.
Why is there always someone who bring eggs and tomatoes to a speech?

Yeah, Elfman's original Batman theme. Also, with the exception of Scarecrow, I liked the original designs for the villains much more (especially Catwoman, the Penguin and the Joker) or the original designs for the batmobile, the batwing etc. I always hated the redesigned "greenface" Joker, or the fact that the redesigned women looked like 15 year olds (Poison Ivy, or the black midget Catwoman, LOL). I think they went a bit overboard with stylization.

I enjoy watching the entire series, there's many great episodes in "The New Batman Adventures" but such things make me like "Batman: The Animated Series" much more.

1 of these days I'm going to buy the whole set I have the whole set of The- Batman.
you ever dance with the devil on a pale moon light