Doctor Who

Started by The Dark Knight, Mon, 28 Dec 2009, 08:44

Previous topic - Next topic
This years special was a massive improvement on last years tripe special. I can forgive it's plot flaws after that mess of 2011 lol And not an Amy or Rory in sight...even better!

Really enjoyed the Christmas special this year, and the new opening. It recalls some of the previous ones (of course) that included seeing the performer's face in the credits. 

I'm quite excited to see The Doctor return in the spring.  Truth be told, I enjoyed the Ponds, I will still revisit nearly every episode with them, but their time had come.  First half of Series 7 holds up on review.  Can't wait to see what else pops out.  The teaser looks promising.  I've always enjoyed the creatures that haunt the Who-verse, and it seems quite a few of them will be lurking in the upcoming episodes.

I thought I'd resurrect this thread since the show returns tonight and we got hit with some pretty big news:

David Tennant and Billie Piper are returning as the Tenth Doctor and Rose Tyler for the 50th Anniversary Special in November:
http://doctorwhotv.co.uk/david-tennant-billie-piper-return-for-50th-46845.htm

I can't wait to see Tennant and Smith play off each other.  The big question: will this be the 10th Doctor and Rose from Season 2 or is this the Meta-Crisis Half-Human Doctor and Rose from the parallel universe in Season 4?

The great John Hurt also has joined the cast, with some fans speculating that he could be playing a past incarnation of The Doctor to replace one of the late actors, much like Richard Hurndall filling in for William Hartnell in The Five Doctors.  But I think it's more likely he's a new character, possibly the villain.  I'm sure we'll hear more news in the coming weeks as production is starting up.
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

Really looking forward to this 50th anniversary special.

I could launch into a long winded reasoning, but simply put, I prefer Smith over Tennant. Both are good, though.

I hope the 10th Doctor is THE 10th Doctor at some point in his timeline and not the meta-human.

I can't wait to see David and Matt together either. I also think it will be the actual 10th Doctor, but it would be cool to see them together no matter what they do.

And FWIW, I enjoyed the heck out of "The Bells of St. John" tonight. :)

Quote from: ElCuervoMuerto on Sun, 31 Mar  2013, 04:03
I can't wait to see David and Matt together either. I also think it will be the actual 10th Doctor, but it would be cool to see them together no matter what they do.
Absolutely. These two together is going to be a classic moment in Who history, no matter. For this generation of fans, these two guys are it.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sun, 31 Mar  2013, 00:17
Really looking forward to this 50th anniversary special.

I could launch into a long winded reasoning, but simply put, I prefer Smith over Tennant. Both are good, though.

I hope the 10th Doctor is THE 10th Doctor at some point in his timeline and not the meta-human.
Agreed completely. 

Plus I think it'd be much simpler to explain that the 10th Doctor and Rose got taken out of their timeline (like the past multi-Doctor specials) as opposed to saying "Rose crossed over from a parallel Earth along with a half-human clone of my past incarnation who also shares DNA from another one of my past companions..."

The Bells of St. John was a fun start.  I loved figuring out what the title of the episode meant.  Also, the motorcycle ride up the building was cooler than most movie moments I saw in theaters last year.
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

Quote from: BatmAngelus on Sat, 30 Mar  2013, 22:53
I thought I'd resurrect this thread since the show returns tonight and we got hit with some pretty big news:

David Tennant and Billie Piper are returning as the Tenth Doctor and Rose Tyler for the 50th Anniversary Special in November:
http://doctorwhotv.co.uk/david-tennant-billie-piper-return-for-50th-46845.htm

I can't wait to see Tennant and Smith play off each other.  The big question: will this be the 10th Doctor and Rose from Season 2 or is this the Meta-Crisis Half-Human Doctor and Rose from the parallel universe in Season 4?

The great John Hurt also has joined the cast, with some fans speculating that he could be playing a past incarnation of The Doctor to replace one of the late actors, much like Richard Hurndall filling in for William Hartnell in The Five Doctors.  But I think it's more likely he's a new character, possibly the villain.  I'm sure we'll hear more news in the coming weeks as production is starting up.

Yeah absolutely delighted with this news myself. I always knew we'd see Tennant again but it's still a strange thing when it's officially announced. It feels like the 10th Doctor era was an eternity ago (despite only being a few years) and to have that returning is very very exciting. Hugely surprised that Billie Piper is coming back also. Despite what some have argued (wanting Donna instead) I think it's highly appropriate she is there. She's still for me the best and most memorable modern series companion and we are meant to be celebrating the best of 50 years of Dr Who. So why not? I don't think Moffatt will cop out and have the meta-crisis Doc. You don't bring Piper and Tennant back and short change the audience. The meta-crisis thing was a brief footnote the wider audience possibly can't even remember (unless they watch Journey's End sometime).

John Hurt won't be playing a past Doctor. I hate the idea of recasting anybody. Richard Hurndall was a neccessity I'll forgive because they already lost Tom Baker back in 1983 so lacking another Doctor would have been totally unacceptable. There is no need for recasting today as most are still with us and willing to do it. And why the hell would you wanna see an imposter doing a bad impersonation of Jon Pertwee or Troughton anyway?????

I have to say I prefer Tennant. No contest for me. Although I've come to like Matt Smith I'd never regard him as a "classic" Doctor. Not on a level with say Tom Baker, Jon Pertwee or Tennant. I worry actually Tennant might steal the show from him. The media certainly feels vindicated by news of the big return. I saw a recent headline which dramatically stated: "THEY'RE BACK!" Almost as though Doctor Who is back in business for some so to speak lol

Not sure what this means for the other Doctor's. Some are moaning that it's Tennant that's only been confirmed and where are the rest? Although I love them all I doubt most will be screaming from the rooftops that Colin Baker or Sylvester McCoy are back because for many their still sadly seen as the scourge of the show. And Paul McGann was only in the 1 movie that most barely even remember or have seen. Getting Tennant is a far bigger deal clearly news-wise. I believe they have deliberately leaked his casting to keep press off the subject of other returning faces for the time being. I mean let's face it he and Piper are the biggest news that can break. With this now out they can keep the press of their backs. What do you think?

I like Tennant, don't get me wrong. However I feel he was a victim of writing at times. When he was written well, he was brilliant – to coin a phrase from the guy himself.

I feel RTD's episodes weren't as good as the other writers during his tenure.

Tennant is exceptional in 'Human Nature/The Family of Blood'. This is my favourite story. He has two roles to play here, The Doctor and John Smith, and he knocks it out of the park. The episodes give terrific insights into who The Doctor  is and what he is not.

RTD made the show too much into a suburban soap opera for my liking, and this reached its peak during 'The End of Time'. Frankly, the ideas were all well and good but it came off as a bloated mess. Just too much emo. I don't mind emotion, but prefer the straight bat, I'm hurting but won't talk about it thing. So when Smith plays the role more alieny and less human, I'm really on board.

If Tennant was written primarily by Moffat things would've been even better for him. Tennant may have had higher highs – Blink, Girl in the Fireplace etc, but I think the Smith era is more consistent quality wise. Just my two cents.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Tue,  2 Apr  2013, 03:36
I like Tennant, don't get me wrong. However I feel he was a victim of writing at times. When he was written well, he was brilliant – to coin a phrase from the guy himself.

I feel RTD's episodes weren't as good as the other writers during his tenure.

Tennant is exceptional in 'Human Nature/The Family of Blood'. This is my favourite story. He has two roles to play here, The Doctor and John Smith, and he knocks it out of the park. The episodes give terrific insights into who The Doctor  is and what he is not.

RTD made the show too much into a suburban soap opera for my liking, and this reached its peak during 'The End of Time'. Frankly, the ideas were all well and good but it came off as a bloated mess. Just too much emo. I don't mind emotion, but prefer the straight bat, I'm hurting but won't talk about it thing. So when Smith plays the role more alieny and less human, I'm really on board.

If Tennant was written primarily by Moffat things would've been even better for him. Tennant may have had higher highs – Blink, Girl in the Fireplace etc, but I think the Smith era is more consistent quality wise. Just my two cents.

My issue with it these days is it's become like traditional Dr Who again, a geeky science fiction show that only fanboy's get. I can tell you my mum gets totally lost on it now lol She utterly despises River Song, a character who's ridiculous and dull complexity (not to mention her sickening flirtation with the Doctor) becomes a major headache. And I can't really argue with her there. I don't think it's fair to say that people who can't keep up with the complexities don't matter. I feel strongly Dr Who should be a show anyone can enjoy and RTD did just that during his tenure. I love his episodes because of their epic, filmic quality. Consider Journey's End. Utter madness at getting all those characters together in an exciting action packed story. Then consider The Big Bang. Brilliant story and paradoxes but did I want to see this for the big finale that everybody now feels are the epic episodes? Nope. I wanted to see that entire Alien Alliance in action against the Doctor! But Moffatt had other ideas. RTD would surely have given us the former and what an episode it would've been. I adore his insane showmanship.

On the subject of End of Time all I can say is my dad passed away that year (2009). And a big bold regeneration story was just the cup of tea I needed to cheer me up. I know what you mean about aspects of the plot but I think you had to be in the right frame of mind for it all. When Dr Who is your favourite show and you've had a pretty sh*tty year, you don't give a crap all that much about depth and complexity my friend. Just the badass regeneration scene effects! lol

One of the things that has let Smith down were his companions. Writing Rory as the hero, having him always off with Amy and making the Doctor into a bumbling clumsy fool was not the best of starts for me. You've just had the heroic confidence of the Tenth Doctor and suddenly in comes the fool in the dickie bow. It was hard to swallow at first lol That is why I loved the ending of Dinosaurs on a Spaceship in which the Eleventh Doctor FINALLY got toughened up and killed Solomon. Yes it was controversial but I loved it. Up until then it was Rory left battling the villains and the Doc dancing around in the background. The Doctor of course shouldn't always kill in solving the plot but after ages of seeing him wimp out in place of Rory's heroism it was a breath of fresh air to cheer him again. Amy meanwhile I've always found bland and uninteresting. Her not having a family like previous companions I believe was a mistake because you never believed she had a real life like Rose or Martha. Didn't her family (introduced briefly in Big Bang) ever wonder where the hell she was? It was fake and old fashioned (as in the classic series). Some might say that's great, feels like old Dr Who, I found it a major outdated setback. And what about Rory's dad? A great character introduced far too late to care about. I got the impression the writers panicked and decided time to introduce some relatives before they both left. I was like sorry guys, too late.

Steven Moffatt was always the fan favourite during RTD's era. I believe he worked better writing 2 episodes a year. A team leader he is not. No story in the Eleventh Doctor's time has been as remarkable or clever to me as during his early days. He's just become my new best friend however in getting Tennant back. He clearly wants to have that old Davies' epic quality in this special. Even in The Bells of Saint John were suddenly back in modern day London and away from Planet Zog just as RTD always preferred. I'm a big fan myself of the earth bound Pertwee years and I always enjoyed when the threat came back to Earth. Earth invasions were RTD's specialty. I feel we've been out in space far too much with the Eleventh Doctor. It's time to balance it out again.