Doctor Who

Started by The Dark Knight, Mon, 28 Dec 2009, 08:44

Previous topic - Next topic
From the official site:

Quote"At 6.40pm on New Year's Day, The End of Time, Part Two begins and the Tenth Doctor's final adventure reaches an incredible finale. It's the end of an era and promises to be an unforgettable event.

Immediately after the episode finishes we'll have a wealth of exciting new material waiting for you right here! In a series of exclusive videos, David Tennant, Executive Producer and writer Russell T Davies and Executive Producer Julie Gardner tell us about The End of Time as well as the past five years, looking back on everything from guest stars to their first days on Doctor Who. There will be their last ever Big Questions, storyboards, a new Fact File, and a fantastic commentary with Russell T Davies and Julie Gardner. Plus a surprise or six!

But we'll also have tons of great stuff on the Eleventh Doctor! Get a sensational sneak peek of the new series and check out exclusive new videos... that's all on this site immediately after The End of Time, Part Two finishes."

Can't wait.

Just seen the new episode.

David Tennant, I salute you.

Matt Smith is going to find himself in the same predicament as Peter Davison. He has a VERY hard act to follow.

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Fri,  1 Jan  2010, 02:42

On a side note, I've just read that Tennant has been voted as the best Doctor Who of all time so far, with Tom Baker a close second.  I guess the Dr Who fans have got good taste.

I hate to disagree, but personally I favor Tom's Doctor over Tennant's performance( and Tennant was fantastic.)
Why is there always someone who bring eggs and tomatoes to a speech?

Fri, 29 Jan 2010, 01:59 #13 Last Edit: Fri, 29 Jan 2010, 02:03 by The Dark Knight
I loved how David handled the regeneration.

He walks into the TARDIS obviously hurting due to the energy absorbsion, but his expression is stoic and brave. He takes off his jacket and throws it to the side, essentially rolling up his sleeves and saying alright, bring it on.

He looks at his glowing hand thoughtfully, considering his mortality, and puts it down. He walks to the console. Standing still, his composure is broken when reality sets in that he's going, and he doesn?t want to. Nevertheless, he breathes deeply in anticipation and is consumed.

The choral chanting was epic, tragic ands beautiful all at once. It elevated things to the required level. Also of note, right before the Doctor says "I don't want to go", the chorus is singing "Vale, vale, vale, vale" - which is Latin for "farewell". And the composition is actually called "Vale Decem" - meaning "Farewell Ten". Great stuff.

Anyway, over to Smith.

He has said his Doctor will be "less tolerant" than others before him.

And here's an official shot of Smith which was released a while ago:
http://whoismattsmith.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=4675&fullsize=1

Another shot of him featuring on a puzzle:
http://whoismattsmith.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=5152&fullsize=1

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Fri, 29 Jan  2010, 01:59
He has said his Doctor will be "less tolerant" than others before him.

'Less tolerant'?  What does that mean?  LOL.  Is he going to be some type of intergalactic racist patrolling The Earth from any illegal 'aliens'?
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

I think it means he'll be more like Six or Nine and not suffer fools gladly. He won't love humanity the way Ten does. And when he does get angry, it'll probably be less "epic". I don't think he'll hit/shoot people unless it's a really dire emergency. I wouldn't be surprised if what we see in the trailer is pretty much the only violence the Doctor engages in this series.

Remind me.  Who played six and nine?  Thanks
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Six was played by Colin Baker. Nine was played by Christopher Eccleston.

Bumping an old thread here, but I thought I'd restart some Doctor Who discussion. 

I've seen all of the Matt Smith episodes and am enjoying the current era.  I've seen most of Eccleston's run and a couple of Tennant's, but want to watch all of their stuff, too.  Very interesting to compare the various takes on the character.

I'm also trying to watch the classic stuff.  I recently saw "The Aztecs," one of the William Hartnell stories and so far, it's the best of the First Doctor stories I've seen.  On its own, it's got the right dose of drama for all the characters, but in terms of impact on the series, this seems to be the first time that The Doctor brings up the issue of rewriting history (in this case, he argues against it). 

It's also the first time he's been given a love interest (something that I didn't think happened until much later in the series) and one of the final moments, when Hartnell starts up the TARDIS alone, reminded me of the current DW stories that showed the character's loneliness.

Anyways, this was announced today:
http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118046098

I'm not against a Doctor Who movie, but I can see why a movie with no ties to the past or current series could turn off the fans.  We'll see what happens.

What does everyone else think?
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

I'm a fan of Dr Who...but not the way he's been written these past few years.

Has anyone seen the TV movie that starred Eric Roberts?