Casting sequels for the current franchise

Started by johnnygobbs, Sat, 4 Apr 2009, 12:06

Previous topic - Next topic
I'm curious as to what actors other members would like to see in further Batman films.  Here are some of my choices:

Alternative Bruce Wayne/Batman - Jon Hamm (Mad Men).  If Bale ever quits the role, or WB decide to do a reboot for whatever reason I think Hamm would be perfect to play a Wayne with a similar appearance and personality to the Batman Animated Series version.
Alternative Alfred Pennyworth - John Cleese.  I'm a massive Michael Caine fan and I think he does wonders for the role but if he ever decided to leave the series I'd like to see a more classic gentleman type in the role.

Detective Sarah Essen - Annie Wersching (24: Series 7)
Detective Harvey Bullock - Daniel Baldwin
Barbara Gordon/ Batgirl - Kate Mara (Brokeback Mountain)

Oswald Cobblepot/ The Penguin - Toby Jones (W and Frost/Nixon)
Selina Kyle/Catwoman - Angelina Jolie (an obvious choice I know, but I think she would be perfect as almost any of the various comic incarnations of this character.)
Edward Nygma/ The Riddler - Casey Affleck (this choice has been cited elsewhere, and I must admit I can't think of anyone else who'd be better.)
Dr. Harleen Quinzel/ Harley Quinn - Scarlett Johansson (I think she has the right combination of slinkiness and calculating intelligence.)
Roman Sionis/ Black Mask - Brad Pitt (he wouldn't want the role, but ideally I'd love to see him play this twisted rich boy version of Bruce Wayne.)
Talia Ras A Ghul - Olga Kurylenko (Quantum of Solace)
Dr. Victor Fries/ Mr Freeze - Stellan Skarsgard (Pirates of the Caribbean)
Bane - Mickey Roarke (I'd prefer a Latino actor in the role to Roarke, so if anyone has any suggestions I'd love to read them.  Most importantly though, the part should be played by a decent actor, like Roarke and not just somebody from WWE.)
Rupert Thorne - Colm Meaney (The Damned United)

Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Sat,  4 Apr  2009, 12:06Dr. Victor Fries/ Mr Freeze - Stellan Skarsgard (Pirates of the Caribbean)
Ooh, I like that one!  He was also in Good Will Hunting.  A character like this would likely have to be butchered beyond recognition to fit into Nolan's alternate universe but he's still an awesome choice!

QuoteDetective Sarah Essen - Annie Wersching (24: Series 7)
Don't really know anything about her but I do hope Nolan stays away from his hot potato.  The only reason to bring Essen in is if Gordon is going to have an affair with her.  It works in the comics as you can see over time that Gordon is just a regular guy who makes bad decisions from time to time and he mostly redeems himself as a character.  It makes his virtue in being one of the very few uncorruptible cops on the GCPD force even stronger... but I don't think it would go down as smoothly in movies as we won't have the leisure to carefully follow Gordon around to see his TRUE character.  There's little or nothing to prevent the audience from hating him for his affair and hating Essen too for being a homewrecker.  It could be done in the comics but it's too big and too dicey for a film, if you ask me.

I appreciate your comments colorsblend, but I've got to say I disagree with you on the issue of Sarah Essen.  In fact the reason I mentioned Essen is precisely because I'd like to see a future Batman film touch on Gordon's (possibly only tentative) affair with her.

Gary Oldman probably gave my favourite performance in both Nolan movies.  To me he was the heart and soul of the films, and its moral conscience.  However, I think it would be interesting to see one of the series' most incorruptible characters demonstrate a character flaw (i.e. his affair.)  I have a feeling, or at least hope, that Gordon will have a larger role in the next Nolan Batman film and I think a film of TDK's scope could do justice to this sub-plot without losing sympathy for the Commish.  I also would ideally like to see this sub-plot tied to Gordon's wife becoming one of the main villain's victims.  I may be mistaken, but I believe that Gordon is a widower in the comics.  Gordon's grief concerning his wife's death and his children's bereavement would be intensified by his guilt over the affair.

I realise this story is a bit of a cliche, but I honestly believe that it would further deepen my favourite character in Nolan's franchise.  We've already seen Batman and Harvey Dent's dark side, so it would be interesting to depict Gordon's.

Finally, I'm glad you liked my choice regarding Mr Freeze.  Although like you say, I think it would be hard to do justice to the character within the context of Nolan's realistic take on Batman's world.

Sat, 4 Apr 2009, 23:02 #3 Last Edit: Sat, 4 Apr 2009, 23:31 by batass4880
Daniel Baldwin as Bullock... Perfect! :D

I always thought Rush Limbaugh would make a perfect Rupert Thorne. ;D

Rupert Thorne's too likeable to be played by Rush Limbaugh.  ;D

After seeing the Spirit, I think Dan Lauria would be perfect for Bullock.

As for Bane, maybe he's not big enough, but I do think Dwayne Johnson would be a good choice, better than anybody else I can think of.

Summer Glau should play Barbera Gordon/Batgirl. She can act, she's pretty and she can kick serious butt. All you need to do is dye her hair red.

I still vote for Daniel Emilfork for Mr. Freeze, but I think Toby Jones would be another good choice for the Penguin, along side Bob Hoskins and Paul Giamatti.

I still want David Tennant for the Riddler, andI don't realy want to see a live action Harley Quinn.
Why is there always someone who bring eggs and tomatoes to a speech?

I'm one of those guys who wants to see the Penguin appear in one of the Nolan-directed Batman films despite Nolan's comments about the character being "tricky" to translate (whatever that means).

My choice? Well that would be Mr. Bob Hoskins. Who I am convinced would be amazing in the role.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: The Joker on Mon,  4 May  2009, 08:50

I'm one of those guys who wants to see the Penguin appear in one of the Nolan-directed Batman films despite Nolan's comments about the character being "tricky" to translate (whatever that means).

My choice? Well that would be Mr. Bob Hoskins. Who I am convinced would be amazing in the role.

That's who I'm rooting for.
Why is there always someone who bring eggs and tomatoes to a speech?

I'd love to see Hugh Jackman or Jenson Ackles play batman both would make perfect playboy types IMO.

Hugh Jackman would make a solid Batman.
"Jack is dead my friend. You can call me, Joker. And, as you can see, I'm a lot happier."