Making the Batvillains fit in Nolans world

Started by shadowbat69, Tue, 9 Sep 2008, 14:08

Previous topic - Next topic
Give a rundown of the rogues gallery and how you would make them fit into Nolans "realistic" Batworld. Descriptions, pics, whatever you got. Lets see what ideas we can come up with.

Catwoman - Selina Kyle, socialite new comer to Gotham who gets her kicks from stealing from the very people she mingles with. In the latest comic books they grounded her costume more in the "real world" and moved away from the more cat motif. She can serve as the love interest and as an adversary. Could be very intersting.

Penguin - I have to completely agree with what Jett just posted about the character. Its what I was thinking myself. Owner of the Iceberg Lounge. Seemingly "straight" business man but has ties with the Gotham mobs. Now that they are basically gone, Penguin now makes his power play for Gotham. He can be short in stature, a big nose and because of this has earned the nickname "Penguin".

Riddler - Well, he is pretty straight forward. Normal looking guy with an affection for leaving riddles with his crimes. I just cant see him as a genuine threat.

The Ventriloquist, I guess.

This is the entire problem with Nolan's stupid realism, you can't use villains like Mr. Freeze, Clayface, Poison Ivy, Bane or numerous others.

But thats the point of this thread. MAKE them fit.

Bane - A guy pumped up to full muscle potential which is further increased by a steriod. Highly intelligent. Comes to Gotham to break the Batman and take over Gothams underworld.

Mr. Freeze - a scientist who in a cryogenic accident looses his wife and changes his body so that he cannot live in normal temperatures. This accident has changed the color of his skin very pale and he requires some sort of suit that regulates his body temperature. Seeks his revenge on the poeple of Gotham so that they can know what it's like to loose everything.

Suits that control body temp and/or protect from the outside environment are real. Skin colorization due to certain body ailments or whatnot do exist. Not too sure about a "freeze" gun tho. lol

Poison Ivy - a nature radical, an eco terrorist. Could have her arsenal be plant based. Realistic plant toxins and such.

Come on, this isnt that hard.

Bane's Venom gives him superhuman strength almost instantly.  I can't think of any real world counterpart for that.

As for Poison Ivy, she controls plant life with her mind.  Sure, she's probably got toxins and poisons and organic acids and stuff but her calling card has always been a form of mind control and the plant angle.  If you're not going to use that MO, why use her at all??

The Riddler was always a pretty lame character.  BTAS did the best they could with him but at the end of the day he's never had any real depth.

QuoteSuits that control body temp and/or protect from the outside environment are real. Skin colorization due to certain body ailments or whatnot do exist. Not too sure about a "freeze" gun tho. lol
If you say so.

Basically, I think there's very little potential in Nolan's real world setting with respect to adapting the comics.  Ra's was a quasi-terrorist, the Joker was a quasi-terrorist, etc.  You could even say the same of the (costume-less) Scarecrow!

Oy...

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Tue,  9 Sep  2008, 21:52
Bane's Venom gives him superhuman strength almost instantly.  I can't think of any real world counterpart for that.

What about basing it on something like the Gary Oldman character in Leon, where he takes drugs to get himself pumped up from killing someone.

Youre missing the point of the topic. Its not really a debate, just a way we can try to make these characters fit. It doesnt have to be 100% real. There is still a level of fantasy in Nolans movies. Minute, but its there.

Geez, you Burtonites! ;)

Well you could use Bane as a steriod addicted strong man who is highed to take out Batman.

Well, if there can be fear toxin in Begins I see no reason why some sort of enhancement drug cannot be used for Bane.

I thought that Scarecrow could come back in the picture. He and Joker's girlfriend, Harley Quinn could be an assistance to The Riddler. The Riddler could be working for The Penguin, who could be a gangster some how tied to Carmine Falcone's crime empire.
"Jack is dead my friend. You can call me, Joker. And, as you can see, I'm a lot happier."