Robin Williams for Riddler.

Started by Paul (ral), Sat, 3 Jul 2010, 16:46

Previous topic - Next topic
not trying to start an ethnic war but would christopher nolan hire an american to be a major villain? i know he had aaron eckhart and morgan freeman is american but all the rest of the characters besides rachel dawes are played by people who aren't american but used an american accent.

Non-Americans tend to be better actors overall.
Why is there always someone who bring eggs and tomatoes to a speech?

Quote from: gordonblu on Wed, 21 Jul  2010, 19:26

um, no. sorry, but no.

How about just hiring the best person for the job?

You ever thought about that?

suits me. i think it'd be robin williams.

Thu, 22 Jul 2010, 04:17 #15 Last Edit: Thu, 22 Jul 2010, 04:39 by Tarzan1941
Quote from: gordonblu on Wed, 21 Jul  2010, 19:26

As an American, I can agree with this.  Brits play Americans better than Americans can play Americans.  Americans playing Brits, well, that's just an embarrassment.

Example #1.  Brits playing Americans:  Kate Winslet in Titanic.  Kate Winslet in Little Children.  (Kate Winslet basically in anything.  ;D)  Emily Blunt in Sunshine Cleaning.  Emily Blunt in The Devil Wears Prada.  Rebecca Hall in Vicky Cristina Barcelona.  Kate Beckinsale in The Last Days of Disco.  :)

Example #2.  Americans playing Brits:  Natalie Portman in V for Vendetta.  Gwyneth Paltrow in Shakespear in Love.  Resse Whiterspoon in Vanity Fair.  Scarlett Johansson in The Prestige.  >:(

Sorry ladies, I am not buying your lousy acting school accent.  Perhaps you could learn how to think and feel like a tree before attempting to trick us into believing you are British.  And that's coming from an American!

Yes I used women for my examples.  Shall I continue?  Should I use men?  Should I bring in the Canadians?  I think I proved my point.

As far as Nolan goes in casting The Riddler or The Penguin or whomever, I really couldn't care where the actor came from, just as long as he has someone else cast the female lead (whatever that character maybe, I don't know) because I strongly feel his main weakness in his films is his casting choices for the female parts.  Now I have not seen Inception yet, so I cannot judge Ellen Page.  However I can judge Katie Holmes and Scarlett Johansoon.  I am still trying to figure out what in the Hell he was thinking when he made those decisions.  I hope I read a story somewhere later on, where he lets us in and reveals that there was gun pointed at his head and was threatened with death if he didn't cast them.  That's the only logical explanation I can think of.

I will give credit where credit is due:  I like Carrie Ann Moss in Memento and I liked Hilary Swank in Insomina.  At least I think I did, it's been forever since I have seen either movie.  I think Maggie Gyllenhaal was a far better choice for the role Rachael Dawes, but by the time she got to it, the damage had been done and I literally cheered when I saw that character meet her doom!  Good Riddance!

So with better casting and perhaps even better writting, Nolan will finally get that solid female role for a talented actress.

Without wanting to demonstrate any prejudices I must say that with precious few exceptions I do prefer it when actors play their own nationality.  American actors playing Brits, and British actors playing Americans tend to use very generic accents that betray their lack of experience and knowledge of different countries.  American actresses doing Brit accents, say Gwenyth Paltrow in Sliding Doors and Natalie Portman in V for Vendetta tend to speak in the same clipped, upper-middle class finishing school accent that nobody in Britain uses today (or probably ever used for that matter), and although my understanding of the contrary situation is much more limited being a Brit I do get the impression that a similar situation applies when Brit actors play Americans (i.e. they all seem to emply the same accents, irrespective of region or dialect etc).  Kate Winslet as great an actress as she is tends to use the same generic, non-specific American accent whether she's in Titanic or Little Children.

Having stated that, I would still prefer to see David Tennant play The Riddler over Robin Williams.  I like Williams and would like to see his movie career undergo a renaissance but I do think he's too old for the role, and that Tennant to give an example has the right demeanor for the part.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.