Release date announced

Started by Paul (ral), Fri, 30 Apr 2010, 20:32

Previous topic - Next topic
Even if Nolan does kill off Batman it's not a big deal. He can always be resurrected with one of those Kryptonian regeneration matrixes. I think I read about it in Newsweek.

Sun, 2 May 2010, 01:22 #11 Last Edit: Sun, 2 May 2010, 01:40 by The Dark Knight
Quote from: johnnygobbs on Sun,  2 May  2010, 00:14
I guess I'm the only person who doesn't have a problem with Nolan killing off Batman - after all, it's meant to be the last film in a trilogy.  Better to wipe the slate clean and start anew after the next movie IMO.
Killing Batman is stupid no matter what in my book. Allude to his death, hint that he survived, but don't have a body on show and remove all doubt. You can easily end on a Returns-esque note and move onto the next series. Dark, but a trace of hope remains for the City. The viewer leaves knowing the story will continue in that timeline one day, because after all, you can't keep the Bat down for too long.

[quote author=johnnygobbs link=topic=1332.msg22603#msg22603

I guess I'm the only person who doesn't have a problem with Nolan killing off Batman - after all, it's meant to be the last film in a trilogy.  Better to wipe the slate clean and start anew after the next movie IMO.

[/quote]

yeah you are. i'm sorry, but its just stupid to kill batman off. if thats what nolan and bale have in mind then they should back off and let someone else do it, because that sucks.

Did I miss something?  When and where did this rumor of Nolan killing off Batman come from?

nolan said something about it being a final conclusion.

Tbh, I kinda want Nolan gone, sure he' done well, but I want a fresh view on things, a more Comic-feel to it, and f*** him not wanting to do cross-overs, I'm so excited for the Avenger's, and I don't even read Comics or sh*t like that, but this whole thing is just interesting and exciting, so why the hell not do it?
"Oh it's copying Marvel" wah wah, if something's successful, why not do it, its like Batman, after this, Comic films were more darker, after Begins, comic films were more 'real', you know, I for one would want a Justice League cross-over

I honestly can't see Nolan's version of Batman interacting with any of the other Justice League of America Team.  They're all far too fantastical for Nolan's 'real world'.

As for the concept of Batman dying in the next film.  I don't think anyone has officially suggested such an idea.  Personally, I don't particularly want to see Batman die in the next film although my feelings about it are nor as strong as many of the rest of you.  However, I do think the suggestion The Dark Knight alluded to would be interesting: have Wayne 'kill off' Batman in the eyes of the public as a facade for his 'retirement' from the role of vigilante.  The next (unrelated) franchise could even extend the idea by having Batman coming out of retirement ala 'The Dark Knight Returns' graphic novel.  Just some random thoughts.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Nolan?s Batman in the same world of Superman and Green Lantern? That would be flat out absurd and would tarnish things big time for me. Seriously, that would really suck. It would be an embarrassing back flip. In Nolan?s world, Batman should be the only crime fighter, because super heroes and fairy tales don?t exist. If super heroes inexplicably turned up on the scene, Batman becomes irrelevant. What?s stopping them from flying over to Gotham and sorting out any crisis in a couple of seconds?

Doing crossovers just because Marvel are is blatant copying and would feel plain forced. I?m not interested or excited about it. There are a lot of reasons not to do it. Apart from putting all your eggs into one basket, if I want to see a Superman film, I see a Superman film. And so on. Keep each franchise separate, pure and undiluted. Especially when dealing with Batman. A reference to Lex Luthor or Green Lantern in Nolan?s Batman just would not work. At all. It wouldn?t feel out of place in Schumacher?s Batman ? hell, look at the opening of Batman and Robin, but that?s a totally different ballgame. Even then, while the reference is more tolerable, I don?t have any desire for a JLA team up or references.

Mon, 3 May 2010, 01:57 #18 Last Edit: Mon, 3 May 2010, 11:37 by Tarzan1941
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Mon,  3 May  2010, 00:00
Nolan?s Batman in the same world of Superman and Green Lantern? That would be flat out absurd and would tarnish things big time for me. Seriously, that would really suck. It would be an embarrassing back flip. In Nolan?s world, Batman should be the only crime fighter, because super heroes and fairy tales don?t exist. If super heroes inexplicably turned up on the scene, Batman becomes irrelevant. What?s stopping them from flying over to Gotham and sorting out any crisis in a couple of seconds?

Doing crossovers just because Marvel are is blatant copying and would feel plain forced. I?m not interested or excited about it. There are a lot of reasons not to do it. Apart from putting all your eggs into one basket, if I want to see a Superman film, I see a Superman film. And so on. Keep each franchise separate, pure and undiluted. Especially when dealing with Batman. A reference to Lex Luthor or Green Lantern in Nolan?s Batman just would not work. At all. It wouldn?t feel out of place in Schumacher?s Batman ? hell, look at the opening of Batman and Robin, but that?s a totally different ballgame. Even then, while the reference is more tolerable, I don?t have any desire for a JLA team up or references.

Well said my friend, well said!  You hit several nails on the head in your first paragraph alone that I don't have anything to add to it myself, other than that is pretty much how I have felt about a Superman/ Batman relationship for years.  If Superman exists in a world were a man dresses up as a bat, then why wouldn't the police commissioner, mayor, city council - whomever, just call Superman themselves and let him take care of whatever major crisis is threatening the city?  Why go through the trouble of having a vigilante out on the streets and a Bat-Signal in the sky asking for help?  Batman is human.  That is his true strength and weakness.  It's about a simple man (albeit, a very rich man) taking the up the task of ridding the city of crime so that decent people could live there.  It's about hope and about self-reliance.  It's a story of one man who has had enough and he is going to do something about it, even if no one else will, or at the very least only a few will, namely James Gordon.  Batman can be killed with a bullet, a knife, a bomb, cardiac arrest and cancer.  What can kill Superman?  Kryptonite and Dan Jurgens.  Although we may not be as financially well off as Mr. Wayne, we can relate to his motives, since we too are human and we too, for the most part, would like to do good and make things better for the world in which we live.

I went and did a little research and read a few things and I think the whole notion of Nolan killing off Batman was an overly dramatic leap in the minds of fan boys of the like.  I don't see Nolan killing off Batman, what would the point be in that?  As far as I can tell he has had two movies to establish the character and when he said the third movie would be used as a point to end the story, I didn't read that at all as, "Well, I am done with Batman and since I am done with him, you should be too, so I am going to kill him off!"  The way I see things, the third film should finally settle things down and get Batman on the road to a long life of fighting crime.  A lot has happened to Batman in the first two films in a short amount of time.  Why not get the story to a point where things can settle down, Batman can work the crime cases and brood in his giant mansion (that is, if it is rebuilt by the third movie).  The only thing I can see is, is that this third film is the end of the beginning.  Not The End.

Quote from: Tarzan1941 on Mon,  3 May  2010, 01:57
Well said my friend, well said!
Thanks, but "I aint your friend palooka."  :)

Good call on the direction of Batman 3.

We're on the same page.