Unbreakable, Split, Glass- The Eastrail 177 Trilogy

Started by thecolorsblend, Sat, 13 Apr 2019, 20:17

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: thecolorsblend on Wed, 12 May  2021, 01:29
I rather enjoy the fact that, in a sense, there isn't a sequel story for David after Unbreakable. Unbreakable starts his story, Glass ends it. And Glass isn't even rly his story anyway. He's in it but doesn't dominate it. That works for me in burgeoning anti-sequel preferences.
How rare would genuine supervillains be? Very. David targeting drug dealers, car thieves and the like makes complete sense from a real world perspective and it also allows him to remain in the shadows. I don't think there's much else to say on the time gap. Things were going steady until The Beast made himself known.

Some of this (the inversion thing, the Fantastic Four logo, etc.) actually is new information, at least for me.

It's generally agreed that the comic book movie boom started circa 2000. When Unbreakable came out.

And history will probably show that it peaked in 2019. When Glass came out.

I find it interesting (and oddly appropriate) how Night basically presided over the beginning and the end of the boom.

I appreciate this trilogy all the more now given Bruce's dementia. Eastrail was his last true hurrah on film as far as I am concerned. Outside of Die Hard 1-3 (I don't acknowledge anything after that in the series) M Night got the most out of Bruce's career with these movies and The Sixth Sense. They're all damned good showcases of his warmth and emotional believability as an actor.

The themes in Glass have only become more relevant to me. The world is one big coverup. The system wants society brainwashed with their narrative and doped up with junk. Despite all the powers the characters have the biggest one remains the capacity for them to believe in themselves and not give up hope, despite everything they've been told. Despite how they've been made to feel.

These types of themes just aren't present in most films, let alone those in the CBM genre. I don't think Night gets anywhere enough respect for what he achieved.

I think Night's time will come.

Back when Unbreakable came out, I remember the basic reaction to it was something like it's good but we wanted another Sixth Sense. Unbreakable was slow, plodding and too methodical. People wanted something faster and snappier.

But since then, Unbreakable was reevaluated like no film I've ever seen before. Split was accepted almost instantly and people seem to be saying nicer things about Glass now.

Things are improving.