Ben Affleck is Batman

Started by BatmAngelus, Fri, 23 Aug 2013, 01:21

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Edd Grayson on Fri, 23 Aug  2013, 17:14
I wonder if Ben Affleck will be his generation's Michael Keaton when it comes to Batman  :)

Oh, I'm sure there will be those who will say Affleck was miles better than Bale, just as there was those who continually praised Bale, and severely downplayed Keaton's portrayal. Ugly cycle, but it's-to-be-expected.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: The Joker on Fri, 23 Aug  2013, 17:37
I wonder if Ben Affleck will be his generation's Michael Keaton when it comes to Batman  :)

Oh, I'm sure there will be those who will say Affleck was miles better than Bale, just as there was those who continually praised Bale, and severely downplayed Keaton's portrayal. Ugly cycle, but it's-to-be-expected.
I think Edd's referring to the petitions against Keaton's casting and the ones apparently brewing with respect to Affleck's.  By contrast the response regarding Bale's casting seemed almost entirely positive at the time (in fact, I still maintain that the casting was 'fanboy' driven since Bale's name had been bandied about forums well before Nolan was hired for the reboot).  Kilmer and Clooney's casting was also relatively positive if memory serves correctly.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Fri, 23 Aug 2013, 17:52 #42 Last Edit: Fri, 23 Aug 2013, 18:03 by The Joker
I'm aware of the allusion Edd was referring to. I simply wanted to bring up the cycle of each generation downplaying the one prior when it comes to 'their' Batman. With Keaton, the backlash with him from the get-go was unique as I don't really recall anyone getting such a negative reaction following the official announcement. Unless of course Jack Black was *officially* cast as Green Lantern way back when (I can't remember)? But even so, I don't even think the news of Nic Cage as Superman back in '97 (?) got the negative reaction Keaton did in 1988. From what I can tell, Affleck as Bats, despite Twitter blowing up, isn't going to get to that kind of level.

But it's early.

EDIT:

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2013/08/23/petition-filed-on-white-house-website-wants-batman-recast/

Oh, darn. Spoke too soon.  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

I made this.... pass it around.

"There's just as much room for the television series and the comic books as there is for my movie. Why wouldn't there be?" - Tim Burton

Quote from: The Joker on Fri, 23 Aug  2013, 17:52
I'm aware of the allusion Edd was referring to. I simply wanted to bring up the cycle of each generation downplaying the one prior when it comes to 'their' Batman. With Keaton, the backlash with him from the get-go was unique as I don't really recall anyone getting such a negative reaction following the official announcement. Unless of course Jack Black was *officially* cast as Green Lantern way back when (I can't remember)? But even so, I don't even think the news of Nic Cage as Superman back in '97 (?) got the negative reaction Keaton did in 1988. From what I can tell, Affleck as Bats, despite Twitter blowing up, isn't going to get to that kind of level.

But it's early.

EDIT:

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2013/08/23/petition-filed-on-white-house-website-wants-batman-recast/

Oh, darn. Spoke too soon.  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D
WTF?  Is this for real?

At least this guy has things in perspective:

'The creator of the petition from Westland, Michigan writes "there are more serious matters that need to be addressed in our country but fans/citizens are outraged at the selection and we want to send a message to Warner Brothers, DC Comics, and Zack Snyder using an outlet that could garner the appropriate media attention to do so."'

Nice that he realises there are more 'serious matters' for the White House to be dealing with.  Wow, you think?   ::)

I was 11 when Batman Begins came out, so Bale should be "my" Batman. But I actually don't like his Batman that much compared to the others. Tastes differ. :)

Quote from: Edd Grayson on Fri, 23 Aug  2013, 18:33
I was 11 when Batman Begins came out, so Bale should be "my" Batman. But I actually don't like his Batman that much compared to the others. Tastes differ. :)
The Burton/Keaton films are 'my' Batman movies so to speak as they are the ones I grew up with and still have the most affection for.  They were also my first introduction to Batman, although I was vaguely aware of Batman's 50th anniversary during 1989.  However, as much as I love Keaton's layered, heartfelt performance I wouldn't consider him to be 'my' ideal Batman.  The closest on-screen version so far as far as my ideal Batman goes is the 'B:TAS' version.  Since Affleck physically resembles that version and can pull off a similar persona I have high hopes that I'll finally see 'my' Batman finally portrayed in a live-action format.

Quote from: Edd Grayson on Fri, 23 Aug  2013, 18:33

i was 20..damnit thank you for making me feel so old

I'm actually intrigued...and pleasantly. I mean..it isn't like off beat casting hasn't paid off before...

ya know like mister mom and the guy from a Knight's Tale.

I hope so. I want the best for the franchise and Affleck, while a surprise, isn't a terrible decision by any stretch.