Marvel’s Daredevil (Netflix, 2015-present): Comic Influences

Started by Silver Nemesis, Tue, 23 Feb 2016, 22:16

Previous topic - Next topic
I can't thank you enough for these in-depth write-ups, you should really have your own blog.

That's very kind of you to say so, Slash Man. :) I'm glad you like the thread.

A blog's certainly a possibility. I've got lots of notes on Daredevil season 3, so I'm hoping to write an analysis of that soon.

If Midnight Express is to be believed, Cox is a shoe-in to transition to the big screen MCU as Daredevil. Same deal with Luke Cage.

Me, I see some interpretive difficulties with that. I can believe that Feige wants a "Batman" for the Avengers. I can also believe that he'd be attracted to using Moon Knight for that position. But if he does... where does that leave Daredevil? For a lot of fans, Daredevil has always come off like a B-list Marvel Batman. Distinguishing him from Batman has been a challenge at times in the past. But distinguishing Cox's Daredevil from Moon Knight may simply not be possible. Or desirable.

Now, I could see doing a swashbuckling Stan Lee/Bill Everett (or Karl Kesel/Cary Nord, if that works better for you) Daredevil. But that sounds basically like a reboot of the character. So bringing in Charlie Cox wouldn't make sense from a tonal standpoint if they take that approach.

Any way you want to slice it, I find it hard to see Moon Knight and Netflix Daredevil sharing scenes without stepping on each other's turf. Then again, considering the direction the MCU seems to be heading in, maybe that's precisely we should believe this report?

Honestly, I don't need Daredevil to be an Avenger. I think it might be kind of neat if Marvel set up characters who specifically won't be Avengers. At least not any time soon. The Fantastic Four and the X-Men are coming sooner or later so why not set the precedent of non-Avengers heroes with Daredevil and exclude him from Avengers membership in the MCU? That could make for a good compromise.