Is Robert Downey Jr. the New Keaton?

Started by phantom stranger, Mon, 8 Mar 2010, 23:31

Previous topic - Next topic
It sounds like 'Johnny Storm' AKA Chris Evans (not the ginger prat  ;)) is close to signing on as Captain America.  I know that The Fantastic Four and Avengers franchises are set in 'different universes' but won't some fans be confused by two Marvel heroes being played by the same actor, and doesn't it show a lack of imagination on the part of the filmmakers?

As for the casting itself, Evans is by no means the best choice, but assuming he signs on I think he's a fairly good fit at least physically, and arguably more convincing as the Avengers' leader than some of the other teen flavour-of-the-month names being mooted.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

I don't believe it.  It would be like casting Hugh Jackman as Superman.

Sun, 21 Mar 2010, 11:52 #12 Last Edit: Sun, 21 Mar 2010, 11:54 by phantom stranger
Quote from: ral on Sat, 20 Mar  2010, 17:08
I don't believe it.  It would be like casting Hugh Jackman as Superman.

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Sat, 20 Mar  2010, 15:24
It sounds like 'Johnny Storm' AKA Chris Evans (not the ginger prat  ;)) is close to signing on as Captain America.  I know that The Fantastic Four and Avengers franchises are set in 'different universes' but won't some fans be confused by two Marvel heroes being played by the same actor, and doesn't it show a lack of imagination on the part of the filmmakers?

Yeah, it's pretty much Ryan Reynolds all over again.

It's just really too damn bad Marvel chose to shoot themselves in the foot by offering such a miniscule  paycheck, along with the outrageous 9-picture commitment along with it. As it's pretty much why you have Evans, and god forbid Tatum in the running for Cap. Otherwise, who knows who they could have got! Or at the very least, might have taken some interest in the project.

Ideally, you would want someone like Matt Damon as Cap. Especially if the focus is to later be focused on the Avengers. With guys like Robert Downey Jr., Samuel L. Jackson, and possibly Ed Norton, I could very easily see Damon leading a group a guys like that.

Evans? Not so much.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: phantom stranger on Sun, 21 Mar  2010, 11:52
Quote from: ral on Sat, 20 Mar  2010, 17:08
I don't believe it.  It would be like casting Hugh Jackman as Superman.

Point proven then  ;) though Will Ferral as Jor-El? now there's a thought!

Well, looks like it's practically official. Evans is the new Captain America. I guess Ryan Reynolds wasn't available.

http://www.heatvisionblog.com/2010/03/evans-accepts-captain-america-mantle.html

I actually don't mind Evans as Cap but he has to bulk up a bit and give a worthwile performance like he did in Sunshine. And I have a bit of faith in Joe Johnston directing, having done The Rocketeer, Hidalgo and others. let's hope the script is good.

I like Joe Johnston as a director, and love The Rocketeer (Yes, Jennifer Connelly had a part in that!), but I'm having serious reservations about this casting decision.

First off, I love Chris Evans as the Human Torch, and feel he was the only thing Marvel got right with the FF movies. But casting him as Captain America, for me, just screams MISCAST. Maybe not as much as Brandon Routh as Superman, but a miscast nonetheless. Which ISN'T a good thing.

Marvel, in scaring away possible potentials due to their ridiculous contract stipulations, should know there is such a thing as looking TOO far ahead for one's own good. Wanting a young Cap because you're thinking about Captain America 3 : Electric Boogaloo in 2016 is being short-sighted, and incredibly na?ve.

I could go on and on about this stuff, but ultimately I'll give the movie a chance and hope for the best. Even if it's quite obvious I'm not thrilled with this decision.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: The Joker on Tue, 23 Mar  2010, 14:51

Marvel, in scaring away possible potentials due to their ridiculous contract stipulations...

You know, $300,000 for a few months of work really doesn't seem like a bad gig to me. Especially, when the gig is playing Captain America. Any actor who has to think twice about that offer shouldn't even be auditioning.

As for the option on 9 films, that's just an extension of the typical contract for superhero films.  It doesn't mean all 9 films will happen, just that if they do happen the actor is contractually obliged to show up. Although if they really don't want to do it, no studio will force them to do otherwise. My guess is that a few of those films would just be for cameo appearances, like Iron Man 3.

Quote from: phantom stranger on Tue, 23 Mar  2010, 15:43
You know, $300,000 for a few months of work really doesn't seem like a bad gig to me. Especially, when the gig is playing Captain America. Any actor who has to think twice about that offer shouldn't even be auditioning.

$300,000 sounds good to folks like you and me. But by Hollywood standards, it's nothing spectacular. Even Brandon Routh was able to score a cool 1 million for his role in Superman Returns. That's certainly not happening here, and is one of the reasons why it took some negotiating to finally get Mickey Rourke on board Iron Man 2. As he did indeed balk at Marvel's initial offer, which is perfectly understandable from his position.  

QuoteAs for the option on 9 films, that's just an extension of the typical contract for superhero films.  It doesn't mean all 9 films will happen, just that if they do happen the actor is contractually obliged to show up. Although if they really don't want to do it, no studio will force them to do otherwise. My guess is that a few of those films would just be for cameo appearances, like Iron Man 3.

Typically, 3 films seems more the going rate on superhero gigs than 9. I may be wrong for all I know, but I don't recall Bale signing on for 9 possible Batman films, nor do I recall WB requesting Brandon Routh to sign up for 9 possible Superman films. Ed Norton would be another that would fit this criteria. Of course it doesn't mean that signing on for 9 films means 9 films are going to take place. Hell, this could be the next Daredevil/Ghost Rider for all we know. But it would indeed limit an actor's opportunities in playing other roles that may or may not be offered to him due to having already commited to whatever sequel Marvel has plans for if this does prove successful.

Having said all that, it's pretty evident that outside of Joe Johnston wanting to initially go with a complete unknown much like Donner did with Superman, we were never going to get a big name for Cap. Given the pay/contract stipulations, it's pretty much why guys like Evans and god-forbid Channing Tatum were on the final three shortlist.