What it did right

Started by Slash Man, Tue, 21 Aug 2012, 02:35

Previous topic - Next topic
Meaning that B&R knows what it is and doesn't pretend to be more than that ? I agree about that, though I think Forever is definitely darker, don't you think ?
"Bats frighten me. It's time my enemies shared my dread."

I was 16 when Forever came out and now I can see all the cheesyness clearly but I still love the movie because I was a kid at the time and it was a fun movie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
May I persuade you to take a sandwich with you, sir?

Quote from: Batman88 on Wed, 12 Sep  2012, 13:22
Meaning that B&R knows what it is and doesn't pretend to be more than that ? I agree about that, though I think Forever is definitely darker, don't you think ?

with all due respect, I hate how people will use that line 'a movie doesnt know what type of movie it wants to be.' A serious movie can't have jokes here and there? A horror film can't have action? Etc. My favourite movie is back to the future which blends sci-fi, comedy, adventure, action, and drama. I don't see people saying "well it doesnt know what type of film it wants to be" ... the reason is it's well received. It's the type of argument comic book fans will use 'oh that was nothing like the comics' ... I find some people will use it only when it's convenient towards their argument.

For the record I don't think batman forever is the best bat film but it is the best OVERALL bat film. Meaning it mixes gothic undertones, comedy, action, drama, psychology. It's the one film a kid could watch with their grandparents and everyone be entertained. The original batman a close second; batman returns and the nolan films are too adult oriented, batman and robin is too kiddy.

The term " doesn know what it wants to be" is in refference to tone and direction, not genre. Pushing the envelope in genre mixing is always welcome in cinema. But when a film tries to do too much without finding a consistant tone or self awareness it becomes somewhat disjointed.

Take " Donnie Darko" for instance, it tried to mix, sci fi, satire, horror, fantasy, comedy and drama all into one film, which is fine, but every attempt at each genre was a tonal shift in the story and film, making it a mixed bag of what the veiwer is supposed to feel or what the film is trying to say. Making the lead character a Dues ex machina in every scene doesnt help either.

Batman Forever is an oddball of the batman films, its a very entertaining movie in its own right, but its more interesting to have seen what could have been. its a straight narrow shot down the middle, of being " meh" and being " good".  For me the only thing that bothers me, is linking two face as Riddlers meat puppet, when he should have stayed Robins subplot, it wouldve been much more interesting to see Batman/Bruce being on the race to recover his identity which Riddler stole/discovered, instead we get "holy rusted metal" on a giant green rubix cube island. Wish in one hand i suppose.