Matrix 4 Coming Soon

Started by thecolorsblend, Tue, 20 Aug 2019, 23:08

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: thecolorsblend on Sun, 25 Jul  2021, 21:35
Quote from: thecolorsblend on Sat, 19 Jun  2021, 05:14
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Fri, 18 Jun  2021, 23:45The trailer has to be coming soon.
The release date is December 2021. So, very soon would be my guess.
SDCC is going on now. I haven't heard anything about a Matrix 4 trailer. I'm starting to wonder what the game plan is here.

Still, there was a point when movie trailers were coming out almost a year before the movie. So, I like how things are different with The Matrix 4. Everyone is keeping their powder dry until later on and that works pretty well for me.

At this equivalent point before The Matrix Reloaded's release, we had already seen the Superbowl trailer and had some idea of the story (multiple Smiths, the machines are digging, etc.) whereas The Matrix 4 is keeping stuff a lot closer to the vest.

In some ways, this is unfortunate. Since it probably means the expanded universe I was hoping for probably won't happen. But at least the story isn't getting splashed all over the place right now. I think that will ultimately be a good thing. If the movie itself is good, that is.

Anyway. The wait continues...
I listened to a short clip recently with Tarantino describing the experience of seeing The Matrix for the first time at the premiere. Nobody really knew what it was about, but there was anticipation and a sense of electricity in the room. Apparently M4 uses a similar structure to the original, with the plot beats coming together in the finale. Keeping footage scarce can help achieve a similar mystique. But a slam dunk trailer has to be released at some point, even if it's just one. I don't think the trailer delay rules out expanded universe content. If they didn't officially announce M4 we wouldn't have even known it was coming. So things can change very quickly. Spider-Man fans are also pacing the room wondering when No Way Home trailer is going to drop.

My guess for a trailer is August or September. The pandemic altered promotion schedules, especially WB stuff, what with the direct to MAX model. 4 months or so seems to be typical right now.

From a totally separate thread...
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Mon, 23 Aug  2021, 23:09The trailer should've been released long ago, and I hope the same doesn't happen with The Matrix 4 (Resurrections).
I officially have no idea what's up with Matrix 4 at this point. Not even a teaser yet and we're, like, four months away? Weird.

I know, I know, Bleeding Cool. But I saw it posted there first.

https://bleedingcool.com/movies/matrix-resurrections-full-title-cinemacon-first-trailer-description
QuoteMatrix 4 Title Revealed, The Full Title Is The Matrix Resurrections

Matrix fans are glued to the coverage coming from CinemaCon right now, and our own Kaitlyn Booth is there and reporting back that the full title for the fourth installment of the franchise has been revealed. The Matrix Resurrections will be the official title, and with that, the first trailer was shown as well. The footage described showed that Neo (Keanu Reeves) and Trinity (Carrie Ann Moss) meet in a coffee shop, but apparently they do not know each other. Most of it takes place in what we should think is The Matrix. Neil Patrick Harris is playing Neo's therapist, and there were blue pills in the sink where neo ages in a mirror from young to old, when a younger version of Morpheus grabs him, hands him a red pill and says "Time to fly".

As expected, and the trailer content lines up with the leaks.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-features/matrix-4-batman-dune-warner-bros-1235002600/

Fasten your seatbelt, Dorothy, because Kansas is going bye bye.

The time travel rumors seem to make more sense now. It doesn't seem like time travel but, based on the description, I think I can understand how that confusion came about.

Sounds promising.

"Meanwhile, Reeves' Thomas spends his days taking prescription blue pills, and wondering why everyone in his world is glued to their phones — looking around and realizing he's the only one on a crowded elevator not looking at a device."

Absolutely delicious.

This is exactly the social commentary I'm after. And I'm glad the blue pills are still so prominent in the mythology. I had fears wokeness would creep in somehow in regards to this element, so I'm relived it hasn't. Super exciting.

They should have released the trailer publicly last night. I know they are leery releasing it near Spider-Man, but the Cinema Con response was strong and the net exploded because there was a large portion of the public that DIDN'T KNOW Matrix was coming back at all, and they were instantly galvanized. The Matrix could have stolen the thunder.

Quote from: Gotham Knight on Wed, 25 Aug  2021, 13:41
They should have released the trailer publicly last night. I know they are leery releasing it near Spider-Man, but the Cinema Con response was strong and the net exploded because there was a large portion of the public that DIDN'T KNOW Matrix was coming back at all, and they were instantly galvanized. The Matrix could have stolen the thunder.
I must agree. The strategy so far has apparently been keeping their powder dry until later on. But there is such a thing as waiting too long to begin actively promoting the movie. I mean, I get that the coof threw all their marketing plans into the air. But they've had over a year and a half to adjust to that reality. It doesn't make much sense to wait very much longer.

Rn, people are still talking about Spider-Man when they could be talking about The Matrix. It doesn't have to be that way. Even now, they could release the trailer and move straight to the front of the line.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Wed, 25 Aug  2021, 14:43
Quote from: Gotham Knight on Wed, 25 Aug  2021, 13:41
I must agree. The strategy so far has apparently been keeping their powder dry until later on. But there is such a thing as waiting too long to begin actively promoting the movie. I mean, I get that the coof threw all their marketing plans into the air. But they've had over a year and a half to adjust to that reality. It doesn't make much sense to wait very much longer.

Rn, people are still talking about Spider-Man when they could be talking about The Matrix. It doesn't have to be that way. Even now, they could release the trailer and move straight to the front of the line.

Indeed. Even at this point when there are now rumors suggesting that WB is considering a delay so it might be exhibited theatrically (a big win considering Wachowski stock hasn't been high since the peak of the first Matrix and Lana remains a big financial risk) you need to put the images of the new Matrix (trailer, promotional images) into the minds of an audience that is apparently ready for the franchise to come back, to say nothing of that fact that the sequels are in the midst of a big fat resurgence. Everybody seems to 'get it' now.

I say..fine delay it, cower at the might of the Mouse. I get it. Multiverse is gonna rock the world. but give me a trailer. I suspect that the numbers will be strong. Very strong.