New Trailer Out

Started by Slash Man, Thu, 3 Dec 2015, 05:17

Previous topic - Next topic

What did you think of the new trailer?

Thanks The Dark Knight.  :)

I'll check it out.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Tue, 16 Feb  2016, 21:09
My only reservation is Alfred's change of job description.
I'm wondering if, in this version, Alfred takes a more active approach in helping Bruce, out of guilt for not being there to save the Waynes that night.
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Tue, 16 Feb  2016, 23:53
Thanks The Dark Knight.  :)

I'll check it out.
No worries. I think it contains an original story taking place before the film as well.

It's going to be interesting to see what the crazy success of Deadpool does regarding the public appetite for something completely different in tone like this.

Quote from: BatmAngelus on Tue, 16 Feb  2016, 17:15
The aspect that his parents' killer was never caught, when he was a kid, is a huge reason why he chose to become Batman in the first place and I'm glad this element is back.

Yeah, Joe Chill being the killer of the Wayne's and also remaining uncaught during Bruce's childhood and even post his becoming Batman is definitely the classic way of going about it. I remember back when ZERO HOUR was being put out by DC Comics (1994-ish?), one of the many retcons was that the killer of the Wayne's was not Joe Chill, and that the killer was never caught, or given any distinct identity. This was the case during most of my initial comic book reading as a kid, and thought it was different, I got OK with it for the most part. Though in 2005, during the INFINITE CRISIS event, Joe Chill being re-instated as the Wayne's killer was one of the many continuity elements brought back. I recall Grant Morrison doing a Joe Chill story during his run, and I guess that it remains intact in the present New52 since alot of Morrison's work was not thrown out...

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

I always liked the comic-book thread where Bruce finally encountered a down-and-out and broken Joe Chill, a couple of decades into his Bat-career, and discovered that the random robbery was in fact a hit ordered by Lew Moxon, his parents' contemporary and father of his then girlfriend, Mallory.

But I can understand why many other fans would just prefer the murder to be an entirely random mugging and for Chill to remain elusive throughout Bruce's entire Bat-career.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

QuoteI guess that it remains intact in the present New52 since alot of Morrison's work was not thrown out...
The New52 actually did a different confrontation in which a young Bruce Wayne confronts Chill with a gun to ask who hired him to kill his parents and finds out that Chill was just a down and out mugger and not out to carry a hit. This leads Bruce to drop his revenge quest and undergo training to become something more. It basically merges the classic Joe Chill confrontation with Batman Begins.

To me, I think it's more important that the cops never caught the killer than anything that happened between Bruce/Batman and Joe Chill later on. It was the fact that the cops weren't able to find him and bring him to justice that motivated Bruce to hunt down criminals himself and become a vigilante. The only version of the story to change this element was Batman Begins, in having the cops arrest Joe Chill that same night (and instead had Bruce motivated by seeing how corrupt the system had become and how ashamed his parents would be if they knew that he was being idle about it).

Zero Hour popularized the idea that the Wayne's killer was never caught or identified and while it seems many fans hold onto this, this version is pretty short-lived in comparison to the rest of Batman's history (much like the idea that Batman is a loner and Joker has no origin, even though Batman hasn't really been a loner since 1940 and Joker has had an origin since 1951).

Plus, I think it's erroneous to think that Bruce Wayne, the World's Greatest Detective, would never have even tried to figure out who was behind the trigger that night or why his parents had to die that night, much less catch the killer himself (though ironically, most accounts show Batman encountering Joe Chill through happenstance rather than seeking him out). Personally, the Joe Chill story from the 1940s is a classic to me and Batman The Brave and the Bold had a perfect adaptation of it, thanks to Paul Dini, in the Chill of the Night episode.
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

Funny enough the sample for the Batman suite is pretty much the Superman theme. Wondering if that's a mistake.

"Is She With You?" seems to contain a variation on the Batman theme that we heard from the other sample. Could easily hear it with Batman soaring over Gotham in the Batwing or even going into battle.

This may be the Batman theme that carries over into the Justice League and future Batman films.

Really liking the score samples. Lots of promise there.